Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2017, 11:19 PM   #81
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Change it so it is only automatic when done from inside the defensive zone, not all the way to centre. Also make it so that a puck shot past the centre line before going out is treated as an icing instead. Finally, make it so that shooting it over the bench before going out is a discretionary call, as the puck has more room to rise over the bench and clear the glass.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:22 AM   #82
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
Change it so it is only automatic when done from inside the defensive zone, not all the way to centre.
That is the rule.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:37 AM   #83
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

I read through the entire thread and didn't see mention of it but there has to be a difference between puck into players bench and over the glass into spectators area.

I watched that play again and and again and even listening to the pbp they (flames) were arguing it didn't go over the glass bit into the players bench as they were desperate to avoid penalty.

There should be a difference as its obviously easier to do this where there's no glass in front of players bench.

Maybe I'm grasping here too but the penalty is too severe in this case.
Not letting them change a d having the face off in a defensive zone is enough I'd say.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:06 AM   #84
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

When was the last time not being able to change actually mattered?

Slowly get to the faceoff dot, cheat for a few warnings, etc, etc

The penalty is fine. It isn't hard to not flip it over. It is usually when the puck rolls and is the risk of going high off the glass
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:19 AM   #85
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
I read through the entire thread and didn't see mention of it but there has to be a difference between puck into players bench and over the glass into spectators area.

I watched that play again and and again and even listening to the pbp they (flames) were arguing it didn't go over the glass bit into the players bench as they were desperate to avoid penalty.

There should be a difference as its obviously easier to do this where there's no glass in front of players bench.

Maybe I'm grasping here too but the penalty is too severe in this case.
Not letting them change a d having the face off in a defensive zone is enough I'd say.
Apparently, by rule, because it went over the glass and then landed in the players bench, it's still a penalty.
It is, of course, not a penalty when it's shot directly into the players bench... but I am not sure the there should be any discretionary distinction here. It lands in the players bench should probably = not a penalty regardless its path to get there.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:10 AM   #86
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
to keep goalies in their net so there's less scoring.
It was implemented to keep goalies from playing the puck more often. The goal was to increase zone time.
Cycling76er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:44 AM   #87
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think if the puck goes over across the red line or maybe even if its out of the defensive zone it should be icing instead of a two minute penalty. I would test in the AHL for 2 years and evaluate if more pucks are shot out of play or not. If it doesn't result in more pucks out of play then implement in the NHL.

The biggest rule related one for me is the OT penalty. They should be cut down to 1 minute instead of 2 because of the much bigger advantage of a 4 on 3 instead of a 5 on 4.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:46 AM   #88
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure the NHL could ever wrap its head around the idea of a 1-minute penalty.

As far as I can tell, shooting the puck over the glass has exactly the same delaying effect on the game as icing – no more, no less. It should be treated the same. The only reason there is a penalty for it is that the solution for icing – no change for the infringing team – had not yet been invented when the rule was made.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:49 AM   #89
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Pretty sure both the delay of game rule and the no change on icing rule both came after the 04/05 lock out.

The league probably agrees that clearing the puck up and out of play is far too easy compared to icing when tired and thus treated them differently.

It also greatly discourages putting the fans in danger which isn't a factor with icing.

Last edited by polak; 03-23-2017 at 11:52 AM.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:41 PM   #90
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Pretty sure both the delay of game rule and the no change on icing rule both came after the 04/05 lock out.
They were both implemented in the same season, but I believe the delay of game rule was designed first. It was certainly announced to the public first.