Said Trouba.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:28 PM   #62
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Trouba didn't play again for Winnipeg. He hasn't dressed since his tilt with Bennett a couple of weeks back.
Wow, really?
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:29 PM   #63
Alpha_Q
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
No, that's not how offside works. It was clearly offside.
Can you explain how offside works in that situation? Serious question. Is possession implied?
Alpha_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:34 PM   #64
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Q View Post
Can you explain how offside works in that situation? Serious question. Is possession implied?
Richard Panik had absolute puck possession and skated over the offensive zone blue line. Problem is, Toews was already stuck in the o-zone before Panik gained the zone there and Toews had NOT tagged up yet before Panik entered.

That is and should've been called offside. Why the refs upheld that goal is wrong and beyond me why that was allowed to stand.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:38 PM   #65
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Q View Post
The NHL came out with an explanation that totally contradicts calls they've made this season and they've been called out by several people on the play and their explanation.

Panik clearly had possession of the puck even though it wasn't directly on his stick. We've seen that call already this season when a player was entering the flames blue line and the puck was off his stick and we challenged it and was rightly called a goal.

The Hawks had full possession of the puck when Toews was offside. If Panik had shot the puck in or chipped it off the boards and then Toews tagged up it would have been a clean play but the Hawks were in full control and it should have been ruled no goal.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 10:39 PM   #66
Alpha_Q
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Richard Panik had absolute puck possession and skated over the offensive zone blue line. Problem is, Toews was already stuck in the o-zone before Panik gained the zone there and Toews had NOT tagged up yet before Panik entered.

That is and should've been called offside. Why the refs upheld that goal is wrong and beyond me why that was allowed to stand.
Cool, thanks. The gif I saw did not show Panik touching the puck prior to skating over the blue line, so I thought he might have been receiving a pass or something.
Alpha_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:45 PM   #67
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Also not to mention the rule clearly is talking about the player having possession of the puck being onside not your teammates.

For example if I'm skating backwards into the zone with the puck, I can do that even if the puck isn't on my stick as long as I'm in full control of the puck. My teammates can't just skate in offside. The rule states the player with the puck can only do that with possession.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:52 PM   #68
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

such a terrible call...its actually scary that the NHL can get one this wrong and then try and defend it. Its hockey, the player possessing the puck doesn't have it touching their stick the entire time
Old 03-20-2017, 01:35 AM   #69
theinfinitejar
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
No, that's not how offside works. It was clearly offside.
It's exactly how offside works. Officials made the right call.

In order for a play to be called offside the offensive team must TOUCH the puck while a player is offside. Panik doesn't touch the puck until Toews is close enough to the blueline that it's impossible to tell. "Possession" is a completely different part of the offside rule referring only to the puck carrier being allowed to precede the puck into the zone.
theinfinitejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:45 AM   #70
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing to keep in mind in this situation is that it was a "Delayed Offside" scenario, not a zone-entry offside, so the standard of the rule is slightly different. On a zone entry, the player is offside if no part of his body is in contact with either the blue line or the ice outside the zone while the puck is inside the zone. On a delayed offside, a third condition must be met, which is for a player on the offside player's team to touch the puck while both the puck and player are inside the zone.

Quote:
83.3 Delayed Off-side – A situation where an attacking player (or players) has preceded the puck across the attacking blue line, but the defending team is in a position to bring the puck back out of its defending zone without any delay or contact with an attacking player, or, the attacking players are in the process of clearing the attacking zone.

If an off-side call is delayed, the Linesman shall drop his arm to nullify the off-side violation and allow play to continue if:

(i) All players of the offending team clear the zone at the same instant (skate contact with the blue line) permitting the attacking players to re-enter the attacking zone, or

(ii) The defending team passes or carries the puck into the neutral zone. If, during the course of the delayed off-side, any member of the attacking team touches the puck, attempts to gain possession of a loose puck, forces the defending puck carrier further back into his own zone, or who is about to make physical contact with the defending puck carrier, the Linesman shall stop play for the off-side violation.

In this clip, the commentator is incorrect in saying that Toews has to completely cross the blue line. He is considered to be back on-side once his skate is in contact with the blue line.

The issue here is the exact moment that Panik actually makes contact with the puck while it's in the zone. So long as Toews has properly tagged up before Panik touches the puck, the play is on-side. Based on the angles shown in the clip (I don't know if anything better was available), it's difficult to determine the exact instant he makes contact with the puck. When it is absolutely definitive that he has touched the puck, Toews has successfully tagged up. As a result, the original ruling stands.

The only question I have about this interpretation of the rule is what is meant by "attempts to gain possession of a loose puck". To me, even if you decide that Panik isn't actually touching the puck, he's certainly attempting to gain possession of the puck (in fact, I'd argue he was never not in possession of it).
Old 03-20-2017, 03:14 AM   #71
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Trouba didn't play again for Winnipeg. He hasn't dressed since his tilt with Bennett a couple of weeks back.
Don't fight yoing flames players. They will take you out .Just ask domi.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:34 AM   #72
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefoss1957 View Post
No, it got out of hand late!

I really don't know how the linesmen made the call upholding the good goal on the first goal by Toews. Unless, the determination was that the puck was OFF of Panik's stick, with his feet on the correct side of the Blue Line, as Toews was "tagging up".

That being said, the 'Lanche really have to be mentally tougher, and not just rolling over after the bad call.
That was a weird call with the tagging up. It doesn't make sense and there needs to be consistency. Yep, the Avs can't fold like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tsawwassen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 05:55 AM   #73
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The BJs clinch a playoff spot over the 4-1 win over the Devils. Bobrovsky makes 35 saves in the win. The BJs had 2 penalty shots on which they scored. The Devils have had 3 penalty shots against them in the past 2 games. The last time that happened was 82 years ago. Columbus is tied with the Capitals for 1st overall, just 1 point ahead of the Penguins and Bhawks. It was the Crosby show with his linemates to get his natural hat trick, Guentzel and Sheary assisted on all his goals, and Fleury gets the 21 save SHUTOUT.

The Habs show whose boss in the Atlantic Div as they beat the Sens 4-1 to take 3 of 4 points in the weekend home-away series. The 2 teams meet again on Saturday.

No wonder Boudreau was pissed, the Wild are not clicking and losing to the Jets 5-4 is brutal.

The battle of 2 non playoff position teams was a good one. Late period goals were the theme in this game. Provorov scored with 58 seconds left in the 1st period to give the Flyers a 1-0 lead. Philly went up 2-0 in the 2nd period before the Hurricanes tied it up with 64 seconds left in that period. Carolina took a 3-2 lead in the 3rd period and then with 43 seconds left in reg time, Konecny scores the GTG. It took only 38 seconds in OT for the Flyers to win 4-3, Schenn with the GWG and Provorov assisted on the key goals. Philly is 5 back of the last playoff spot (Leafs) while the Hurricanes are 6 back.