Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-23-2017, 08:25 AM   #61
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I might just be pulled in even deeper, but it does look like they're making progress, just in time for the two hour season finale! They are doing a good job building it up though. Maybe they managed to keep things quiet and they actually have something here...Or it's Geraldo and Al Capones vault on a much larger scale. I don't even know which I want it to be!
Every bit of grade 7 UCB wants them to find something.

But 45 yr old, me, thinks there is nothing there. What I find more interesting is all the nut cases coming out of the wood work.

For example, the fella that owns the little spit of land near Oak Island. He was going on about tunnels, and how it is connected to Oak Island. Poor fella got one 5 minute spot, and nothing else.

I really struggle to believe there is anything on that island. I reckon much of what they "find" has been because they want to find something.

This might be next season:

http://oakislandsociety.ca/oak-islan...-birch-island/

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:21 AM   #62
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

For example, the fella that owns the little spit of land near Oak Island. He was going on about tunnels, and how it is connected to Oak Island. Poor fella got one 5 minute spot, and nothing else.
OMG that guy was something else, wasn't he? I can't believe he actually paid for that pile of rocks.

They sure make the finale look awesome but how many times have they done that now? Each time I think well looks like the actually find something next week only to be completely underwhelmed.

I mean honestly, at this point, the ONLY things of significance they've found were the coins. Those were interesting. Nothing in the swamp, not a damn thing with the three casons they've drilled into the ground. Nothing major out in the bay. Just really nothing to build on.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2017, 12:36 PM   #63
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
OMG that guy was something else, wasn't he? I can't believe he actually paid for that pile of rocks.

They sure make the finale look awesome but how many times have they done that now? Each time I think well looks like the actually find something next week only to be completely underwhelmed.

I mean honestly, at this point, the ONLY things of significance they've found were the coins. Those were interesting. Nothing in the swamp, not a damn thing with the three casons they've drilled into the ground. Nothing major out in the bay. Just really nothing to build on.
The finale does wrap together their findings in the swap. The board, spike, and coin with Fred Nolan's supposed findings. After watching it, I have to wonder if this is it. Not based on the findings from the finale but because there is some sort of interview/wrap up episode next week that was filmed well after they left the island last summer.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:37 PM   #64
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

The real hidden treasure of Oak Island is the money making model of filming a fake, overdramatic reality TV show around it.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 02-23-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2017, 08:30 PM   #65
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh come on! The "you've really got something interesting" teaser leading up to this is the cross the people found 150 years ago and not anything they found that's new?!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:45 PM   #66
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't help but think they are just digging up scraps from failed expeditions.

The rest some seems like Bre-X style seeding.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:55 AM   #67
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well....no idea what to make of any of that. The cross was kinda interesting but no way to prove it did in fact come from the island. Can't help but feel those sisters are trying to get themselves entrenched with the whole thing for monetary gain. "I feel such a connection to this island. It feels like home to me" Suuuuuuure it does.

The metal they were pulling up was cool? Certainly looks like old school workmanship. They must have smashed the ever living crap out of whatever it was with that chisel though.

Nothing that really makes me want to keep watching.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:47 PM   #68
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ well I guess we'll see what the dating reveals for the metal next week? If that comes back and its super old then it's worth watching. If it comes back and its from the 1800's though, what have they really found?

Seems likely that Samuel Ball found everything and spent it so he could buy all the land...but who knows.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:09 PM   #69
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

What episode are you watching? Is there more since the finale?
Old 02-28-2017, 09:01 PM   #70
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that was the season finale, but this week there is an episode where they go through what they found and look ahead and that kind of thing.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:01 AM   #71
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya I spose I'll have to watch that too.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:53 AM   #72
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

BUMP

It came back for another season.

The only reason this show is it reminds me of being young and going to school in Lower Sackville.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:39 AM   #73
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched it last night. Man am I glad I PVRd it. Seemed to be more commercials than normal. Have to admit the teasers have me hooked again. In the summer I was in the area and stopped by the island so now I am more invested.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:39 PM   #74
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sigh......yes.....I'll be an Oak Island sucker again. Got through most of the 2 hour premier last night. Typical stuff. Water is almost crystal clear when they send a camera down. Turns to crap as soon as the diver touches the water. I sure didn't see what they were seeing on the camera though, save for the hook shaped thing leaning up against the wall. Whole lot of seeing something because you want to see something.

Sure is a fun watch though. I too would like to see the island myself. That would be neat. I guess the have tours?
Old 11-15-2017, 02:49 PM   #75
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I havent seen this show but it appears to be a relatively small island. Have they figured it out yet? Whatever 'it' is?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:02 PM   #76
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing I don't understand is why do they need to constantly rehashing everything. This could easily be a 22 minute show if the show was condensed down to remove the Templar and other mythical BS crap theories and just focused on the efforts to dig down and explore the actual island. The filler is agonizing to sit through. Have some actual scientists out there studying the core samples. It really does seem like its all a hoax though, easy enough to pull of if you went to a antique store and salted the whole area with little bits and pieces to pique interest.

At least the brothers are independantly wealthy and this is just a hobby for them.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:03 PM   #77
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I havent seen this show but it appears to be a relatively small island. Have they figured it out yet? Whatever 'it' is?
Well they know what they hope it is. A lost treasure of sorts that could include anything up to the Holy Grail and Golden Manorah. Supposed to have been buried by the Templar quite some time ago. Precious little of what they've actually found up to this point supports that. The only real things they have found are some buttons and a few gold coins that indicate the British and French were poking around the island as far back as the 1700.

I guess the other really cool part is the coconut husks they found just off shore that was carbon dated to be around 1000 yrs old and certainly not native to the area. Was supposedly used as a filter for the box drainage system that connected to underground traps of sorts preventing people from finding the treasure.

Quote:
At least the brothers are independantly wealthy and this is just a hobby for them
Marty is, but isn't Rick a retired postman? I honestly think this project has a great chance of bankrupting Marty. I know he's in O&G but out of curiosity I looked up his net worth and it was only around $2Mil. He does own a vineyard too though I think.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 11-15-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:18 PM   #78
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Sigh......yes.....I'll be an Oak Island sucker again. Got through most of the 2 hour premier last night. Typical stuff. Water is almost crystal clear when they send a camera down. Turns to crap as soon as the diver touches the water. I sure didn't see what they were seeing on the camera though, save for the hook shaped thing leaning up against the wall. Whole lot of seeing something because you want to see something.

Sure is a fun watch though. I too would like to see the island myself. That would be neat. I guess the have tours?
They do tours and have a little visitor center/museum/gift shop with the history and some of the things from the island. It is smaller than what I thought, the angles that they film things I think make it look bigger. Their war room is like 15 feet from the museum and gift shop. We were there in early July and they said the tours were sold out for the rest of the season. You can't explore the island and really are just limited to visitor center area.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:40 PM   #79
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh well, if that's all you get to see (not surprised TBH), I'd go in hopes of seeing Rick and suggesting he trim his eyebrows. Dood needs to get those under control.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:25 PM   #80
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Oh Locke...

One more has to die before the treasure is revealed.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post: