Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #221
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

The lack of Direwolves has made the Bran storyline pretty bad. I never minded Bran since I liked the idea of a "broken" boy who battles the lure of living an active life through his wolf. Without that it is just depressing.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #222
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
The lack of Direwolves has made the Bran storyline pretty bad. I never minded Bran since I liked the idea of a "broken" boy who battles the lure of living an active life through his wolf. Without that it is just depressing.

Good point. They definitely need to address his warg abilities soon. It is vital to his whole storyline going forward.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:12 AM   #223
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Bran storyline is terrible in the books as well. He has so few chapters I wonder what they are going to do with the character. Especially since they are doing away with the Reeds.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #224
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

They stayed relatively true to the books in this episode (relatively being the key word).
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 05-27-2012, 10:56 PM   #225
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I figured they wouldn't disfigure Tyrion as badly as they do in the books.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #226
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya there was no way that was going to happen

They set it up well too where it was clear that Tyrion's work was the main reason that Stannis just didn't basically walk in to the castle but Tywin and the Tyrell's claim all the glory
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:39 AM   #227
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Loved that episode. Especially loved the bell conversation between Tyrion and Varys, non-readers think it's just a little jab at marriages but us readers..oh we know.

Also loved that I found myself rooting for both sides of the battles at points. The actress who portrays Cersei I think is my new favourite actor on this show.

Probably my biggest disappointment, which is actually extremely small, is that Tyrion's chain was left out (which was obviously entire season not an episode specific complaint). There's just a huge difference between the book where Tyrion very riskily had all the blacksmiths making this huge ass chain instead of actually preparing for war by making/fixing weapons and armour, Tyrion knew that there was no hope to fight this battle "head-on" and that's why he really did deserve the credit for the win.

In the show he had pre-made wildfire put on a boat and used as a bomb, which was closer to just putting 2 and 2 together.

Anyways, I know a lot of fans are looking forward to the House of the Undying or some Winterfell action next episode but I'm really hoping to get a glimpse of Belwas and his squire, they may or may not be introduced, but I'd love for them to show up after the dragon burns down the House and help save Dany.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:09 AM   #228
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

^^^ actually I have no idea what secret meaning the Bells have.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #229
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

People in the TV thread think there will be some plot elements resolved next week? Suckers

And I can't believe there is only one more episode this season!
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 05-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #230
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
People in the TV thread think there will be some plot elements resolved next week? Suckers

And I can't believe there is only one more episode this season!
haha I saw that

"there's so much to wrap up next week..."
Old 05-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #231
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems like most people who have not read the books seem to think Sansa has left with the Hound.

Of course maybe she has for the TV series - that would remove the need for Ser Dontos or the whole Tyrion/Sansa wedding which may help in speeding the story along.
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 05-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #232
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
To hell with them in that thread I say!! They drew the line in the sand that caused us to choose sides. The schism that exists between us is on them - let them believe what they want. Fools.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #233
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
To hell with them in that thread I say!! They drew the line in the sand that caused us to choose sides. The schism that exists between us is on them - let them believe what they want. Fools.
I wouldn't go that far. I tend to agree with them and if they don't want spoilers then it is almost impossible for anyone who has read the book to say much beyond answering character specific questions we know from the show (eg "who was this character"). Plus, there is enough divergence from the books that while we know how the story should progress, we don't know if that will be written into the show. While I think Sansa is still in the Hand's tower, with the changes in TV show I can't be sure.

Asoif has shown that no character is safe. The tropes of "the protagonist will always survive" was killed when Ned Stark's head rolled across the ground. That is one of the most compelling things about this series - you just never know; and that is refreshing. I can definitely see why a non-reader would be upset by almost anything that hints if a character is alive or dead, even if we, as people who have read the books, know that the info is inconsequential.

I actually like seeing the thought processes of the TV show only folk. It reminds me of what I was thinking of that point in the books. And I look forward to the surprise when those guesses are blown out of the water.
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 05-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #234
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sorry - I should have used green text.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #235
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everywhere I read seems to think Sansa went with him, I don't see anyway that's possible
Old 05-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #236
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Sorry - I should have used green text.
Nah, that speech is something I have been mulling in my mind for a while. I used your post as a jumping off point. I just shouldn't have written it while at work and doing 3 other things at the same time.
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 05-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #237
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

I don't think Sansa went with the Hound, her question "You won't hurt me?" was, I think, because she was afraid he'd make her come with him even though she didn't want to. As I recall, in the books he also offered to take her away, and she declined, unfortunately for her.

I always feel bad because she annoys me with her stupid decisions and wilful blindness, but she really never has much of a chance. How could she be sure the Hound wasn't laying a trap at Joffrey's behest? We see the Hound flinch at the fire and decide he can't take being Joff's bitch anymore, but she doesn't see any of that, all she knows is that this man she fears has abruptly shown up in her chamber, where she has already retreated to get away from Cersei and her drunken madness.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #238
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It seems like most people who have not read the books seem to think Sansa has left with the Hound.

Of course maybe she has for the TV series - that would remove the need for Ser Dontos or the whole Tyrion/Sansa wedding which may help in speeding the story along.
If you do that, there's pretty much nothing left for Sansa to do for the rest of the series.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #239
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
If you do that, there's pretty much nothing left for Sansa to do for the rest of the series.
Since she is still alive and kicking she may still have a role to play, but she hasn't really done anything yet.

So next she is: put aside by Joffrey, lets the Tyrrel's know how horrid Joffrey really is, gets married to Tyrion, escapes with Ser Dontos, meets up with Littlefinger, sees Littlefinger marry Lysa, see Littlefinger throw Lysa out the moon door (after she confesses killing Jon Arryn), and is a pawn of Littlefinger in his schemes.

None of those really require Sansa other than as a POV character to be able to see what happened. She may have a major role to play, but it hasn't happened yet.

Let her escape right now and you can cut the entire Tyrion wedding next season.
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 05-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #240
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Then what happens with the hound and Sansa though? Does she get lost before the Hound and Arya meet up? I really hope they stick to the books for this one and she is still there.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books , it is known , spoilers , winter is coming