Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2017, 12:25 PM   #281
Hammertime
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The whole purpose of the expansion draft was to ensure that Las Vegas was to be more competitive sooner rather than later. If McPhee is going to circumvent that, and sell off the more desirable Unprotected players to the highest bidder (presumably for future assets like prospects/picks), this would go against the League's deliberate plan of Las Vegas fielding a decent team out of the gate.
Hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:29 PM   #282
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammertime View Post
The whole purpose of the expansion draft was to ensure that Las Vegas was to be more competitive sooner rather than later. If McPhee is going to circumvent that, and sell off the more desirable Unprotected players to the highest bidder (presumably for future assets like prospects/picks), this would go against the League's deliberate plan of Las Vegas fielding a decent team out of the gate.
Think it will be more to balance the roster IMO.

When I look at some of the projections the team will have better options in goal and on defense then they will for forwards.

So they can then move those extra d-men or goalies for better forwards - at least that's how I see it playing out.

Capfriendly has a pretty good tool if you want to play around with it.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:29 PM   #283
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The best way to build a winner is to build from within. Toronto, and the Flames, are an example of just how quick a proper building plan can turn a team into a playoff bound squad.

Good on GMGM. This is another way he can maximize expansion draft day.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2017, 12:33 PM   #284
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

McPhee's comments should be a heads up for players considering waving their no trade/move clause, thinking they'd be happy playing out their careers in Las Vegas. They could end up in Buffalo, New Jersey, Edmonton...
Old 03-14-2017, 12:35 PM   #285
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, Vegas could pick a bunch of middling players, suck for a few years, and then start the rebuild. Or they can rebuild from scratch now, by getting as many quality assets and picks for the long-term. Either way they will suck for a while, but this is probably more efficient way to go about building a good team.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:39 PM   #286
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

George McPhee trying to up the price of not selecting a player.

Oh you won't give me a 2nd + prospect not to select Player X? Well then I am going to auction him off to the rest of the league and see what I get. I am sure your division rivals will gladly give that up.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2017, 12:53 PM   #287
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
that's a strange perspective. McPhee will have 30 players after the expansion draft. He can then keep them, demote them, trade them, or even buy them out, just like every other GM in the league
He is under no obligation to build his team according to "the League's deliberate plan", whatever that is
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:01 PM   #288
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess this is nothing new. MIN selected Mike Vernon in the expansion draft and then immediately traded him to the Flames for a prospect and pick.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:09 PM   #289
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Johnson had better numbers last year in Buffalo and got 1.7 for one season from us last summer, can't see him improving on that contract.

Signing Elliot to a decent contract is priority one then get something done with Johnson or a goalie like him on a cheaper contract that can be easily moved or buried if a guy like Rittich steps up.
Priority one as in right now, or for the offseason?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:14 PM   #290
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Specifically for goalies and d-men.

Just did a rough one and it's quite possible the Knights could draft - Smith, Varlamov, Grubauer, Korpisalo, Coreau, Sparks, Brossoit.

Be a bunch of teams reaching out to grab a goalie potentially.

On the backend they could draft Leddy, Methot, Demers, Scandella, Georges, Miller, Cole, McNabb, Davidson, Mueller, Van Reimsdyk.

Don't need 11 top 6 d-men so lots of ability to move some of those guys as well.

Forward is where they will need the most help, and moving d-men/goalies might be able to help with that.

Cammy, Brouwer, Wilson, Silfverberg, Hayes, Yakupov, Namestiknov, Nordstrom, Dano, Granlund, Cousins, Nichuskin.

Good depth but doesn't really scare anybody. I would focus on d-men/goalies and then try to move those players for upgrades up front.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:16 PM   #291
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Priority one as in right now, or for the offseason?
For goalies.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:27 PM   #292
christoph186
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
George McPhee trying to up the price of not selecting a player.

Oh you won't give me a 2nd + prospect not to select Player X? Well then I am going to auction him off to the rest of the league and see what I get. I am sure your division rivals will gladly give that up.

Hey, sorry for what I'm sure is a repetitive question -- but side deals are fully allowed in the expansion draft? I thought the league was cracking down on them for the draft?
christoph186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:36 PM   #293
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoph186 View Post
Hey, sorry for what I'm sure is a repetitive question -- but side deals are fully allowed in the expansion draft? I thought the league was cracking down on them for the draft?
Yes side deals have been confirmed:
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2017, 01:54 PM   #294
christoph186
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Yes side deals have been confirmed:

That's awesome, should make it much more interesting! Thanks Sureloss, appreciate the knowledge!
christoph186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:59 PM   #295
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
I believe the league tried to arrange something like that back in the 90s. The agents filed suit against the NHL for age discrimination, and it was a no go.
If the NBA can do it I'm sure the NHL can.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:08 PM   #296
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't really see the need for it - it's not like the NFL/NBA where players have to declare and once they declare they are no longer eligible to go back to the NCAA.

Maybe 2-3 18 year old players make the NHL right out the gate each season as 18 year olds - and for the most part it's players that are ready to be here.

For most they would go back to the OHL anyways and it doesn't change their development.

Really all it serves to do is keep guys like McDavid, Matthews, Ekblad out of the NHL, when they are clearly ready for it.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 03-14-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:33 PM   #297
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still want us to trade for the right to make a selection from Edmonton's roster. And I want to do it early so they sweat.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:48 PM   #298
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I still want us to trade for the right to make a selection from Edmonton's roster. And I want to do it early so they sweat.
Conditional 6th round pick at most.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:23 PM   #299
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I don't really see the need for it - it's not like the NFL/NBA where players have to declare and once they declare they are no longer eligible to go back to the NCAA.

Maybe 2-3 18 year old players make the NHL right out the gate each season as 18 year olds - and for the most part it's players that are ready to be here.

For most they would go back to the OHL anyways and it doesn't change their development.

Really all it serves to do is keep guys like McDavid, Matthews, Ekblad out of the NHL, when they are clearly ready for it.
That's exactly why it's a good idea.

95% of the kids drafted are not anywhere near being ready. Diminishes the value of the draft. Imagine how messed up it would be if the NFL or NBA drafted players before they went to college?

The 4 or 5 kids that could make it can just dominate for another year. Not a big loss.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DJones For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2017, 04:44 PM   #300
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

I disagree. Increasing the draft eligibility age serves to dramatically increase the probability of success for amateur scouting. That is an extremely valuable return for every NHL team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote