Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #101
Miniac
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If Sven is scratched for one game, I'm fine with that. More than one... would be BS
Miniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #102
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
When exactly did the Flames fanbase adopt Leafs fanbase levels of hysteria over minor roster changes?

It's kinda embarrassing.

We watch the games from a TV screen, or maybe from a seat 300 feet off the ice. None of us are in the rooms when the coaches and players talk. We know next to nothing about what's going on inside the team. The people running the Flames are many, many times over more qualified to make these calls then anyone on this board (unless Scotty Bowman is lurking around...)

Just relax and enjoy a fun energetic team in the midst of a rebuild. The Flames aren't going to be winning anything this year - stop freaking out about things.
Most people watch hockey to see players like Baertschi, not Stajan and Jackman.

To me, this is especially true in a rebuild where we won't be getting many wins regardless.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #103
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I completely disagree with this decision to sit baertschi... he's improving and he has played well with Monahan. His effort has been there every night and he's been great defensively. Shame this has to happen a day after Monahan gets the news he's sticking with the club. Good for baertschi to respond the way he did today. Seems like he plans to earn back a spot he didn't deserve to lose.

It concerns me how the kids are treated sometimes on this team... I like that they are held accountable but sometimes it feels like the coaches are too hard on them. Hartley has always been known to favour veterans and be very hard on rookies. Don't be surprised if Monahan gets sat the moment he goes 2 games without a point. It constantly feels like the kids have that hanging over them so it stifles part of their offensive game.

If this keeps happening, they will start hesitating to make a creative play or pass out of the zone and instead constantly just be chipping pucks in and out of zones for fear of making a mistake.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #104
Gary83
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Do you guys think Sven is a scratch because he's about to be traded???
Old 10-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #105
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Re: Baertschi -- I see it as a solid case of Monahan being shifted into a 2nd line role with Hudler, but the Flames don't think Baertschi is quite there yet. Put Cammy on that line instead and see what they can do against the top 6 of other teams.

Also, reuniting the Glencross/Stajan/Stempniak line will hopefully get Glencross going -- they had good chemistry in the preseason as the defacto #1 line.

Galiardi/Backlund/D. Jones is a solid third line (good size/speed), and we don't want Baertschi on the foruth line. Makes Sven the odd man out -- worth a try for one game; if it doesn't work, you reassess and go forward.

Last edited by tvp2003; 10-24-2013 at 12:20 PM.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #106
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully he'll be back for Saturday:

Roger Millions@RogMillions52s

#Flames Mark giordano received another look this am from doctor. Seemed to be walking well. Not expected to play however.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #107
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also makes me think about how gaudreau is going to look at his opportunities on this team... He still isn't signed and he's a similar player to baertschi. The beating baertschi is taking from this organization might make gaudreau hesitant to sign.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #108
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Most people watch hockey to see players like Baertschi, not Stajan and Jackman.

To me, this is especially true in a rebuild where we won't be getting many wins regardless.
I agree with you - I would prefer to watch Sven over Jackman, who wouldn't?

But that is one of the reasons I don't run a hockey team. There is more to running a professional hockey team then pleasing fickle fans. The moment a team lets their fanbase start controlling on ice decisions is the moment they go 50+ years without a Stanley Cup.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to llama64 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #109
Gary83
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
Also makes me think about how gaudreau is going to look at his opportunities on this team... He still isn't signed and he's a similar player to baertschi. The beating baertschi is taking from this organization might make gaudreau hesitant to sign.
I heard from a source of a source that he's a big fan of Kevin Lowe and what he's doing up in Edmonton..
Old 10-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #110
DOOM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Dumb decision by the coaches. Baertschi should be in the lineup for sure.
DOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #111
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why isn't Butler sitting? I just don't understand the accountability here. Put in Smith.

Butler seems to always get a pass (Feaster's player).
Colborne is getting passes (Burke's player).
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #112
Goodlad
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Judging by Baertschi's reaction, that he "kinda saw this coming", there are clearly specific things the coaches have been telling him to do that he isn't doing.

From an outside perspective I thought that Sven had taken significant steps to improving his two-way play and looked very engaged almost every shift. However I'm not on the bench to hear specific instructions Hartley gives the players. I'm also not at practices to hear what they want certain players to do in specific situations.

It certainly doesn't seem to be a case of lack of effort, so it might be more a situation where Baertschi just isn't grasping specifically what the coaches are talking about. If that's the case getting an outside view might be just what he needs.

Nothing to freak out about
Goodlad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Goodlad For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #113
D-Red
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Horak designation official. Listed on the AHL transaction page.

http://theahl.com/stats/transactions.php
D-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #114
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be honest I am a little upset regarding Baertschi. Feaster was selling a rebuild during the entire summer, before the draft he pretty much guaranteed that Baertschi will be in the line-up.

I don't know the actual reason Baertschi is a healthy scratch... it could be a minor injury that nobody wants to discuss, maybe he just pissed Heartly off during practice, perhaps they are showcasing Jackman or other players for one game. I just hope it is not because Feaster is trying to justify signing someone like Jackman for a 2 year contract, or because Baertschi earned himself the Blair Jones treatment.

I am almost sure it is nothing, but if the Flames want to sell me on a rebuild, let the kids play. I don't want to hear next summer that Feaster wished he had a mulligan with Monahan, or something similiar.

I know it is a huge over reaction, its just one game... As for tonight, lets go Flames! we have some stars to burn
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #115
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Holy crap. I only caught the last part of the Millions interview on 960 and i thought they sent Sven down to Abbotsford.

1 game in the pressbox is fine. However i wish Glencross would join him for a game too.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #116
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Why isn't Butler sitting? I just don't understand the accountability here. Put in Smith.

Butler seems to always get a pass (Feaster's player).
Colborne is getting passes (Burke's player).

To be fair Butler wasn't bad in Phoenix, but he really should of been benched for that game as he was terrible 2 games ago. Perhaps if Gio wasn't injured we still would of seen Breen in for Butler.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #117
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Absolutely delicious overreaction and hyperbole.

Love it.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #118
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Red View Post
Horak designation official. Listed on the AHL transaction page.

http://theahl.com/stats/transactions.php
Bummer.

Let's fire Hartley. He's being completely unfair to Roman who has more time in the NHL then Sven and done everything the organization has asked for. He should be in the NHL!
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #119
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
I agree with you - I would prefer to watch Sven over Jackman, who wouldn't?

But that is one of the reasons I don't run a hockey team. There is more to running a professional hockey team then pleasing fickle fans. The moment a team lets their fanbase start controlling on ice decisions is the moment they go 50+ years without a Stanley Cup.
Well, you would probably get a situation like up in Edmonton, where the GM is told he has to draft Yakupov (because fans want to see him), when most of the people who actually run the team wanted Murray instead.

Ironically, that's what we make fun of Edmonton for.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #120
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thought Baertschi has played well recently, at least in the offensive zone.
He actually started to win some board battles lately, which was rare in the first few games of the season and for the most part of the games he played in 12-13.
He looked more confident skating with the puck too.

Obviously there's something I don't see that the coaches do. Must be his work in the defensive and neutral zones as per Hartley. I'm fine with the scratch tonight, but hoping it's tonight only.
Phaneufenstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gtd , winwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwinwinwin