Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #1861
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Having now visited the new Chinook station, I stand by my assessment that CT is making a serious mistake in terms of downgrading the heated space for customers. Yeah, you deter loitering that way, but at the expense of the people who you want to use the system.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #1862
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Undercover boss episode:

TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TurnedTheCorner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #1863
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Having now visited the new Chinook station, I stand by my assessment that CT is making a serious mistake in terms of downgrading the heated space for customers. Yeah, you deter loitering that way, but at the expense of the people who you want to use the system.
It's miserable. I parked there one day this weekend.. Windy and freezing on the platform - I can only imagine on the -30 days in rush hour as you watch full trains roll by that you can't squeeze your way on.
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #1864
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Yeah, I never really understood that decision. Calgary should have more indoor stations, not less.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #1865
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
Undercover boss episode:

I am both afraid of and attracted to the transit cop.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #1866
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Anyone frustrated with the reserve parking system? It is kind of frustrating seeing the lots half empty in the morning and still being rather high on the wait list. I preferred the old pay system they had before the outcry that we had to pay 3 bucks for parking.

It seems now that they don't know how to manage or understand what they have with the reserve system. It is even more frustrating when you hear stories of people renting their spots and making money at the high usage lots (end of the line...damn those parasite communities).

Sorry about that.

/end rant
Only just started using the system for the last 2 months but reserving at Brentwood has been pretty painless. Don't think I'll go for it next month considering the amount that I'll need to drive so we'll see how it goes in January again./
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:31 PM   #1867
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here we go again....Calgary Transit talking to Telvent again....

Quote:
Officials announced at a press event Thursday that they’ve “recently met” with Telvent, the Spanish-based company originally contracted to implement its electronic fare collection system, Connect, and have decided to try to hammer out a new contract by December.
Doug Morgan, director of Calgary Transit, said the city would save two years and as much as $11 million by sticking with Telvent. He estimates that’s the cost of starting fresh with a new vendor, which would probably take another two years to implement a working system.
Morgan insisted that since the city broke ties with Telvent in November 2012, the company has created better technology that will save the city time and money.
FFS! New untested technology after the last craptastic effort? Hey Armani Coat people, go talk to this guy, he'll take 50 of them...

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...274/story.html
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:13 AM   #1868
NuclearPizzaMan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Here we go again....Calgary Transit talking to Telvent again....

FFS! New untested technology after the last craptastic effort? Hey Armani Coat people, go talk to this guy, he'll take 50 of them...

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...274/story.html
The City gets raked over the coals by vendors on a regular basis. Combine that with Calgary Transit's management and technical staff? This will go really well this time!
NuclearPizzaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #1869
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The City should look at whoever did the work for Translink in Vancouver. That's a nice system.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #1870
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've been really out of the loop on this. What exactly happened with Telvent the first time around?
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #1871
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post
I've been really out of the loop on this. What exactly happened with Telvent the first time around?
In a nutshell, the Connect system just didn't work and IMO not well designed.
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #1872
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
The City should look at whoever did the work for Translink in Vancouver. That's a nice system.
I agree, Translink's system works quite well. As a transit operator, I am not sure why Calgary Transit keeps thinking they need to reinvent the wheel with a new fare collection system. When I saw they were giving Telvent another shot I was quite disappointed in that decision.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #1873
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just go look at what Tokyo is doing and bring it here. There's no need to start from scratch, just copy the best. I'm sure Japan is 20 years ahead of us in this regard.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #1874
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Just go look at what Tokyo is doing and bring it here. There's no need to start from scratch, just copy the best. I'm sure Japan is 20 years ahead of us in this regard.
Out of curiosity, what type of system do they use in Tokyo?
Old 11-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #1875
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since I just returned from vacation with 2 cities with excellent public transit I figured I would post my review of both here and what Calgary may be able to adopt.

1 - Barcelona:
Has a gated system. Didnt use the bus at all only the metro, train came every 10 minutes. Not much to learn from Barcelona. Bought a 10 ride ticket for 10E - crazy price and could use it for multiple people - go through turnstyle once and then hand the card to next person and they go through and so forth.

2 - Amsterdam:
Here is where CT should travel and try to bribe to Dutch to use the same technology they use.

Now I cant read or speak Dutch but here is the essense of what I was able to pick up.

1 - you can pay with cash. Driver has full on change drawer ala safeway to give you change. Very few people use it and I figure CT used to have it and now figures there is no point

2 - card system - this is what Calgary needs. There were 3 options for cards

CARD A = 7E - reload card only pay for what you use, trips are measured by distance. I think this would be the way to offset some of the costs for the longer trips instead of bringing in a map system like Vancouver. Post the per/km price and then the distances per km to each station.

CARD B = XE unknown price but it was advertised you buy this card and then load it but you get 20% off travel.
CARD C = XE unknown price but it was advertised you buy this card and then load it and get 40% off travel

Now I dont know the exact buyer beware details of each card. How long its good for, do you have to buy a new card every year etc, how much each of the discount level cards cost but it seemed like an awesome system.

Instead of turnstyles there were card posts everywhere to swipe your card. When you get on the bus/tram/train and when you get off. If you dont swipe when you get off then you are charged the full amount of the trip (example I forgot to swipe once and was changed 3E for the bus trip instead of the 1.37 normally.

I believe the company who built the card readers was Advantis? CT should be calling them as fast as possible.

Main difference in this system to Calgary would be you dont have the 90 min grace period. In AMS you could buy a paper ticket from the driver and that gave you a 60min grace period.

Last edited by mykalberta; 11-15-2013 at 10:54 AM.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #1876
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Personally, I am not a fan of paying for the distance of a trip, I believe it would create too much confusion (at least at first) for passengers.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #1877
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of people throwing out names of cities with electronic fare payment.

Hong Kong - Octopus
Netherlands - Chipkaart
London - Oyster
Vancouver - Compass
(and yes, Edmonton - Blue)

One technology is behind it all - MIFARE. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIFARE

It's there, go get it. Stop getting screwed around by vendors like you're the Canadian Military.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #1878
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

^^^ This and change the name to Prairie Oyster Card.
Maccalus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maccalus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #1879
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Lots of people throwing out names of cities with electronic fare payment.

Hong Kong - Octopus
Netherlands - Chipkaart
London - Oyster
Vancouver - Compass
(and yes, Edmonton - Blue)

One technology is behind it all - MIFARE. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIFARE

It's there, go get it. Stop getting screwed around by vendors like you're the Canadian Military.
I'd love to hear the explanation for why Calgary Transit figures this wouldn't work for us and why we need some brand-new untested technology.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #1880
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
I am not sure why Calgary Transit keeps thinking they need to reinvent the wheel with a new fare collection system.
Spot on.

I don't mind looking at new options and giving new comers a chance but you have to look at their capabilities. The worst thing is Televant isn't even providing CT with features that MIFARE doesn't offer.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c-train , calgary transit , information , lrt , renderings