Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2017, 02:05 PM   #2881
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonInBothHands View Post
I am sure Mr. Button would let it slide. You can't have enough d in an organization.
Zing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:24 PM   #2882
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
IIRC Tod may have changed his mind by the time the draft happened but at the time Weisbrod scouted him, he was just a suggestion to scout after the player on another team he was originally going to see, wasn't going to be playing.
And..? Our head scout who is based in North America would have seen the vast majority of draft eligible prospects heading into the draft. If Button hadn't seen Jankowski at that point he would at another, (and several times after).

Still utterly amazed how much weight some put into Feaster and Weisbrod's comments. The guys love to boast brag and build things up.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 02:26 PM   #2883
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
From what I recall a large number of the detractors of this pick here were critical for precisely these reasons. There was some belief that at the beginning of the rebuild the Flames were obligated to take a safer player who projected to play in the NHL in the shorter term, rather than on a project who would take four or five years.

It was thought that the weakness of the prospect pool heading into the 2012 draft necessitated a more conventional pick, and the Flames were "not in a position to gamble" on a player like Jankowski—even suggesting that he would be a better pick for other teams than for the Flames because of this.
and I still believe that it's not a good idea to use our first round pick on a centre that projects to play in 4 or 5 years when there are other skilled and more ready players to pick. It's going to be 5 plus years and we don't have a definitive answer yet. I give credit to Jankowski for showing strong character in hanging in there and progressing as he can still become an important piece on our team.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:52 PM   #2884
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
and I still believe that it's not a good idea to use our first round pick on a centre that projects to play in 4 or 5 years when there are other skilled and more ready players to pick. It's going to be 5 plus years and we don't have a definitive answer yet. I give credit to Jankowski for showing strong character in hanging in there and progressing as he can still become an important piece on our team.
You keep holding on to that if it makes you feel any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 03:02 PM   #2885
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think the quality of the draft had a lot to do with that. I think they clearly identified a player that had the potential with his skill set to be a impact player. I think it would be a mistake to take a player with a lower ceiling just because he projects to the NHL sooner. I think that is pretty short sighted. I guess we will see in a couple years where he starts slotting with his draft class.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 03:20 PM   #2886
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

After the draft I bet my buddy a case of beer that Janko wouldn't play 100 games in the NHL.

Looks like I'm probably going to be out a case of beer...
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:22 PM   #2887
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Janko was just chained to give his draft class a five year head start. Soon Janko with be unchained. Never bet against Janko.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 03:28 PM   #2888
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
You keep holding on to that if it makes you feel any better.
and the best you've got is a personal attack.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:32 PM   #2889
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

I learned yesterday that management is REALLY pleased with Jankowski and truly excited to see what he can do in the show next season....i think it would be a real disappointment if he was not able to make the team next year.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:55 PM   #2890
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
and the best you've got is a personal attack.
How was that a personal attack?

Regardless of your answer, your point doesn't make a lot of sense. It's not like the next bunch of picks have all contributed a whole lot more than Janko so far.

Of the rest of the first round (including Janko):
2 have played more than a season (Maata, Pearson)
4 have played a season or less (Matheson, Gaunce, Skjei, Matteau)
4 have played <5 games (Janko, Subban, Schmaltz, Samuelsson)

So, the only guys way ahead of Janko are Maata and Pearson. Janko looks poised to make the NHL next year in a bottom six role. It's not like using the pick on him was a poor choice based on the guys chosen after him. He could still have a more significant career than a lot of first rounders.

Acting like a late 1st rounder taking 5 years to make is an awful thing doesn't make sense to me.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:09 PM   #2891
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
How was that a personal attack?

Regardless of your answer, your point doesn't make a lot of sense. It's not like the next bunch of picks have all contributed a whole lot more than Janko so far.

Of the rest of the first round (including Janko):
2 have played more than a season (Maata, Pearson)
4 have played a season or less (Matheson, Gaunce, Skjei, Matteau)
4 have played <5 games (Janko, Subban, Schmaltz, Samuelsson)

So, the only guys way ahead of Janko are Maata and Pearson. Janko looks poised to make the NHL next year in a bottom six role. It's not like using the pick on him was a poor choice based on the guys chosen after him. He could still have a more significant career than a lot of first rounders.

Acting like a late 1st rounder taking 5 years to make is an awful thing doesn't make sense to me.
I'm fine with Janko pick and have been pretty much from the start, but you also have to consider that Feaster traded down because he was pretty sure he'd still get Janko at 21.

That 7 spots actually brings a few more names into the equation, including a young #1 goalie, a good young top 4 Dman among others.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:56 PM   #2892
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
From what I recall a large number of the detractors of this pick here were critical for precisely these reasons. There was some belief that at the beginning of the rebuild the Flames were obligated to take a safer player who projected to play in the NHL in the shorter term, rather than on a project who would take four or five years.

It was thought that the weakness of the prospect pool heading into the 2012 draft necessitated a more conventional pick, and the Flames were "not in a position to gamble" on a player like Jankowski—even suggesting that he would be a better pick for other teams than for the Flames because of this.
Which is probably a pretty fair assessment given the prospects the Flames had in the cupboards at the time. We'll see how this goes, but hoping the kid turns into a player.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:52 PM   #2893
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

25 goals in 56 games in the AHL in his rookie season is pretty ####ing terrific. Getting excited about Janko
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:56 PM   #2894
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.matchsticksandgasoline.co...mark-jankowski

Anyone know this writer? So funny looking back at comments and articles like these. I know Janko hasn't made it in the pros yet but imagine if the Flames let another team sign him like this guy was encouraging, oh my
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:51 PM   #2895
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
http://www.matchsticksandgasoline.co...mark-jankowski

Anyone know this writer? So funny looking back at comments and articles like these. I know Janko hasn't made it in the pros yet but imagine if the Flames let another team sign him like this guy was encouraging, oh my
Think that guy claimed Russell didn't deserve to be in the NHL as well.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:09 PM   #2896
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking at the picks from 14 on and where they'd hypothetically stand on our team

Girgensons - Probably would be playing as the 3rd line center or bumped to the 4th line
Ceci - likely in Stone's spot right now.
Wilson - in Chiasson's spot.
Hertl - Would be a middle six forward.
Teravainen - See Hertl
Vasilevsky - Would be a good piece, and possibly the only guy I'd take right now above Janko. Very Very risky though because goalies are a real coin toss and there is no guarantee that Vasilevsky will be a top tier starter.
Laughton - 4th line forward

After that, only Skjei, Maatta, and Di Guiseppe (38th OV) are players that would be in the conversation as who is better.

So basically some depth guys that are decent pieces but no real game breakers from the group. The Flames had zero centers heading into that draft though and were relatively flush with D-men at the time comparatively. So it made sense to take a gamble on a C that has 1st line upside. Just happened to have two great center prospects fall in their lap the next two years. If the Flames didn't luck out with Monahan and Bennett, Janko would probably be in his 2nd full season in the NHL. No need to rush him though when you have those other guys and Backlund.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 08:05 PM   #2897
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Project picks do not equal high risk - at least not always. Flames were a confident bunch in selecting Jankowski, and probably has more eyes scouting him regularly than they have had eyes on anyone else they have drafted (outside of Kanzig, but for different reasons there). Button had everyone cycling through to see him in every single game from the mid-point of the season and on. That's due diligence.

Weisbrod can talk about how he knew Jankowski was the guy after his first shift and get all arrogant, but Button had everyone cycling through to make sure they scouted him well. It is not easy to scout a player that is WAY better than any of his peers in the league.

From that standpoint, it was not a 'risky' pick just because he was a project. A project can be a sure thing, as long as he has been scouted well enough. Jankowski's biggest obstacle was his build.

At any rate, I would bet that in a few years, we can look back at this thread again, and I would bet the list of players that people still have teenage angst over is shorter. Jankowski is going to be an important piece. Where he fits in exactly is anyone's guess, but he is going to be a very nice piece for a long time.

(for those wondering about the Kanzig comment - Flames were holding meetings in Vancouver spread over a few days, and they decided to take the ferry over every day to take in the Royals games. Every scout apparently liked Kanzig, and they were impressed with his mobility for his size, his leadership/character and his defensive acumen. They raved about him being so 'smart', and having a very high IQ. I wouldn't write Kanzig off - he is another long-term project pick that MAY work out one day. I wouldn't count on it, but it is foolhardy to count him out so definitively like many posters are doing. At least for those that didn't know the background, that is why the Flames drafted him where they did.).
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:57 PM   #2898
sinceAtlanta
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Jankowski, currently:

- 1st in rookie goals with 26 -- just 4 behind the AHL's goals leader (note: janko has played 8 fewer games).

- 2nd in AHL rookie scoring with 50 points (in 58 GP), 4 points behind leader.

- plus-16, tied for 5th among rookies.

Nice!!
sinceAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to sinceAtlanta For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2017, 02:08 PM   #2899
Samuelsson
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinceAtlanta View Post
Jankowski, currently:

- 1st in rookie goals with 26 -- just 4 behind the AHL's goals leader (note: janko has played 8 fewer games).

- 2nd in AHL rookie scoring with 50 points (in 58 GP), 4 points behind leader.

- plus-16, tied for 5th among rookies.

Nice!!
Get out of here with your positivity
Old 04-01-2017, 02:27 PM   #2900
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

If we could please stop talking about Janko in the Janko thread, that'd be great.

saXon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saXon For This Useful Post: