Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-07-2014, 02:59 PM   #21
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
And that's about the gist of it, lame idea from King and Co and we're stuck with it because they think it's clever.
Some day they will sell the team to someone else and they will be like, WTF? Tear that s&^%$t off the rafters/walls/urinal stalls.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:59 PM   #22
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutski View Post
Can someone help me out on this one... I get that a lot of you are not fans of this forever a Flame thing and are saying to just retire the number.

I thought that's what this is, but the Flames just had a special name for it? What is different with this?
The numbers are still in circulation but they hang a banner.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #23
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

If they try this stunt with Iggy or Kipper I will burn the Dome to the ground.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #24
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Some day they will sell the team to someone else and they will be like, WTF? Tear that s&^%$t off the rafters/walls/urinal stalls.
No they won't. They aren't going to alienate team alumni by tearing anything down honouring them.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #25
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutski View Post
Can someone help me out on this one... I get that a lot of you are not fans of this forever a Flame thing and are saying to just retire the number.

I thought that's what this is, but the Flames just had a special name for it? What is different with this?
The key is the flames have publicly said that this is to replace Jersey retirements. They are widening the pool, and downgrading the honor for the special players.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #26
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are going to have the forever a flame thing, make it for everyone. Un-retire Lanny and Mike Vernon's numbers and just have them honoured.

Either that, or retire the numbers.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #27
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Can't retire his number its not deserved...nothing wrong with honouring the guy
The real problem with this is that they decided there would only be FOFs from now on. No Retirements. King was clear about that when he rolled out this debacle.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:02 PM   #28
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
No they won't. They aren't going to alienate team alumni by tearing anything down honouring them.
Are you sure? I think a new owner would get to do what they wanted.

It might not be overt, but a billionaire owner probably would not understand a half assed programme like this. They tend to be pretty decisive.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:02 PM   #29
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's going to look so stupid when we have 3 or 4 Forever a Flame banners mixed in with Iginla MacDonald and Vernon. And all different colour schemes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2014, 03:03 PM   #30
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
The real problem with this is that they decided there would only be FOFs from now on. No Retirements. King was clear about that when he rolled out this debacle.
Except, of course, when it comes time to retire #12 and #34, which they were surely do.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:04 PM   #31
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
If you are going to have the forever a flame thing, make it for everyone. Un-retire Lanny and Mike Vernon's numbers and just have them honoured.

Either that, or retire the numbers.
Well they're already retroactively applying this lame program to those ... so yeah.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:05 PM   #32
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
It's not perfect for anybody. There's pictures of him around, people who know the franchise know what he did for us. This is just an extra piece of fluff. If a player deserves his number retired, so it, if not, well then we'll just remember what he did. I thought for MacInnis it was because he requested it not be retired because he was with the Blues, but obviously they think this is a good idea, and it's not.

If they want to honour a guy, fine, have a "Player X" night. Don't hang banners for some half assed idea.
You actually thought the Flames invented the Forever a Flame idea for a one off situation for Al MacInnis and were simply going to ditch the idea and go back to jersey retirment and have him be the only Forever a Flame the organization honors?

I prefer jersey retirment or nothing myself, but so much saddness over something that isn't really that big a deal. Oh no, Flames do forever a Flame instead of jersey retirement.................who cares. Nice to occassionally honor the clubs past and significant contributors to it's past. I agree Jersey retirment means something more, but to be honest, I'm not sure any Flames other than #9 and in the future #12 truely deserve that honor, and with the way the game has evolved, not sure moving forward there will be too many players that truely deserve that honor with any organization because the league is set up to have folks move around a lot more with there career these days anyways.

I think Forever a Flame is actually a pretty inteligent identification by the Flames of the way things are going to be moving forward and gives them an outlet to provide the Flames and their fans a way to honor the past.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:06 PM   #33
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
ThThey are widening the pool, and downgrading the honor for the special players.
This.

Why not give participation badges?

Great teams like original six don't do this stuff.

A video on the 25 anniversary of Niewy's Calder. Or the date he set the rookie scoring record, show a video at the dome. That's enough IMO.

I want the Flames to act like an original six team. 3 cup finals in 30 years is a lot better then most teams in the NHL. They don't have to make s*&^%t up to be proud of.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2014, 03:08 PM   #34
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
You actually thought the Flames invented the Forever a Flame idea for a one off situation for Al MacInnis and were simply going to ditch the idea and go back to jersey retirment and have him be the only Forever a Flame the organization honors?
Yeah I did. I didn't think that the Flames management would just ditch a tradition that's pretty honored throughout the league's history across pretty much all teams.

Shame on me I guess, I got fooled.

As for the rest of your post, fine, honour the player, don't hang a banner with their number, because doing that means something more.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #35
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post

I prefer jersey retirment or nothing myself, but so much saddness over something that isn't really that big a deal. Oh no, Flames do forever a Flame instead of jersey retirement.................who cares. Nice to occassionally honor the clubs past and significant contributors to it's past. I agree Jersey retirment means something more, but to be honest, I'm not sure any Flames other than #9 and in the future #12 truely deserve that honor, and with the way the game has evolved, not sure moving forward there will be too many players that truely deserve that honor with any organization because the league is set up to have folks move around a lot more with there career these days anyways.

I think Forever a Flame is actually a pretty inteligent identification by the Flames of the way things are going to be moving forward and gives them an outlet to provide the Flames and their fans a way to honor the past.
There are millions of better ideas than Forever a Flame.

Install a statue of Niewy on the concourse. Have ribbon cutting.

FaF is the by-product of a self conscious organization. IMO
Old 02-07-2014, 03:11 PM   #36
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Great teams like original six don't do this stuff.
This is exactly what the Leafs do.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #37
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

If they are going to continue this farce, there is no reason it should be Nieuwendyk going up next.

Honour #14.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaramonLS For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2014, 03:13 PM   #38
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least it's honouring an actual player and not crap like the 7th man in Vancouver. Yuck!

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:14 PM   #39
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Except, of course, when it comes time to retire #12 and #34, which they were surely do.
Well, if you want to alienate your Alumni, I guess this would be one surefire way of going about it.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:16 PM   #40
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
If they are going to continue this farce, there is no reason it should be Nieuwendyk going up next.

Honour #14.
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...=retire+number

The only hope here is that they are trying to add another FaF, before they actually go and retire another number...