Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 03-08-2017, 05:06 PM   #1001
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
The only way I see the death penalty working is that it puts a definitive end to the story. No more news, no more lawyer visits, no more human rights complaints etc. It's done. I read a story about the surviving family's of Clifford Olson's victims and the extra pain and suffering they went through just knowing he was alive. The father of one victim comment that the night Olson died was the first night in 20/30 years (don't know my time lines) that he slept through the night.

I know I would feel much better knowing that the person that took my son's life, the last person to see him, terrified, crying is gone. Sitting there, wondering if he is deriving any sort of enjoyment from his actions? Does he relish the look on their faces just before? One could go crazy thinking about it. At some point complete closure could only come about with death.

I am not upset about jailhouse beatings, heck have more of them. If he is indeed in with his own kind throw a few shanks and broom handles down with them and let them have at it. I won't lose any sleep over it.
The other side of this is that the 3 to 4 appeals and then the execution itself prolongs the grieving process for the victims. They can't move on until the 10 or so years between conviction and execution occur.

Its very victim family dependant on whether him disappearing from the news or being executed while being in the news for years is better for the victim. Same with these beatings. Does him being in the news for getting beaten up give the family peace or torture them more? Id rather he disappear forever with a small note that he died 20 years from now.

The other part of the death penalty is that you eventually kill an innocent person. So I will gladly pay my 50 cents per year or so to keep all the murderers in Canada in jail.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 05:08 PM   #1002
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
The only way I see the death penalty working is that it puts a definitive end to the story. No more news, no more lawyer visits, no more human rights complaints etc. It's done. I read a story about the surviving family's of Clifford Olson's victims and the extra pain and suffering they went through just knowing he was alive. The father of one victim comment that the night Olson died was the first night in 20/30 years (don't know my time lines) that he slept through the night.

I know I would feel much better knowing that the person that took my son's life, the last person to see him, terrified, crying is gone. Sitting there, wondering if he is deriving any sort of enjoyment from his actions? Does he relish the look on their faces just before? One could go crazy thinking about it. At some point complete closure could only come about with death.

I am not upset about jailhouse beatings, heck have more of them. If he is indeed in with his own kind throw a few shanks and broom handles down with them and let them have at it. I won't lose any sleep over it.
You have a point. A very good one.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:10 PM   #1003
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I still remember a book or a short story that I read where criminals with life sentences were put in a nice prison with good food and fitness programs. And they were kept alive as long as possible and harvested for organs.

If someone needed an eye, they took yours. If someone needed a kidney or part of a liver or even blood, it was "donated by the prisoners".

It was pretty grim to me to read it, but its certainly a revenge fantasy if you actually want a scumbag like Garlands incarceration to mean anything.
Don't they already do that in China, minus the "nice prison" part?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:02 PM   #1004
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
You have a point. A very good one.
Exactly. And one could argue the whole trial was him relishing the pain and torment of the families. Putting them through hearing all the evidence in excruciating detail. Just awful.

He knew he was going to be convicted. He could have pled down and avoided a trial (I think?? MBates will surely correct me if wrong), but he defiantly said "NOT GUILTY" and forced the trial.

Evil bastard.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:24 PM   #1005
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm not an advocate for the death penalty. However, why does a death penalty involve numerous appeals? Do the appeals go to different levels of the court?
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:20 PM   #1006
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
I'm not an advocate for the death penalty. However, why does a death penalty involve numerous appeals? Do the appeals go to different levels of the court?
yes.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 08:24 PM   #1007
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Exactly. And one could argue the whole trial was him relishing the pain and torment of the families. Putting them through hearing all the evidence in excruciating detail. Just awful.

He knew he was going to be convicted. He could have pled down and avoided a trial (I think?? MBates will surely correct me if wrong), but he defiantly said "NOT GUILTY" and forced the trial.

Evil bastard.
I don't think he could have Pled down to anything worth it for him. Would you have accepted a plee deal that would have given him the possibility of Parloe before he died? Say 2 consecutive 2nd degree convictions and a concurrent manslaughter that would have him eligible for parole in 20 years.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:49 PM   #1008
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post

Evil bastard.
I doubt the crown would have been willing to offer him a plea to less than three first degree murders. He definitely could have pled guilty as charged but unlikely there was any compromise offer available to him.
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:56 AM   #1009
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
It's already cost 2 hospital stays, I'd rather him just be put down like a rabid dog and we forget about him
I understand what you're saying. and in some exceptional cases I totally agree. Olson, Bernardo. pickton, Russell Williams. this one.

but overall, I can't agree with the death penalty. too many times it's been proven that innocent people would have been killed, railroaded into convictions, too.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2017, 04:41 PM   #1010
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hate to bring this thread up again but Garland is appealing

http://globalnews.ca/news/3316567/do...ive-and-harsh/
CedarMeter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #1011
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

When you will otherwise spend the rest of your natural life in prison given the outcome, that there is an appeal comes as no surprise.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2017, 05:52 PM   #1012
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

So the family will be revictimized on the appeal(s) because Garland has nothing better to do for the rest of life in prison. Great.

Is there any question he did it? No. So stfu and do your time you miserable POS.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:01 PM   #1013
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

How much does he need to put the family thru? How many millions need to be spent on this pos?

I was wondering if those judges comments were going to come up.

Sentence is harsh....wtf, this guy killed three people one being a kid
Old 03-17-2017, 06:10 PM   #1014
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I was wondering as well if those comments would come up.

But I have a feeling that if they're appealing the sentence, that this won't get past the appeals court and we won't get a new trial.

I mean the sentencing is pretty much automatic anyways.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:38 PM   #1015
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

As initially upset I was at hearing the appeal, the argument is a Hail Mary at best. Says the judge prejudiced the case by emphasizing the graphic nature of the evidence and suggesting ways jurors could mitigate trauma by doing yoga.

Basically the "I failed the test because my teacher said it would be hard and it jinxed me"

Just a waste of time. If he gets off on this then there is no hope for justice in this country.

Hopefully this POS will get a nose job a few more times for being such a jack arse.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:52 PM   #1016
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Just a waste of time. If he gets off on this then there is no hope for justice in this country.
There's zero chance of that. This is just more pain for the family to go through, just a total waste.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 02:23 AM   #1017
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I understand what you're saying. and in some exceptional cases I totally agree. Olson, Bernardo. pickton, Russell Williams. this one.

but overall, I can't agree with the death penalty. too many times it's been proven that innocent people would have been killed, railroaded into convictions, too.
Agreed, and in this case there isn't any absolute proof of guilt. when you break it down Garland's defense lawyer was a complete dud, I guess he felt like the rest of us. 99.9% GUILTY
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:34 AM   #1018
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Garland's defense lawyer was a complete dud
Why?
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:48 PM   #1019
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

and the lawyers win again, can ring up a nice big bill for all the appeals. bottom feeders
dirk diggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:27 PM   #1020
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hopefully the next time he gets a beating, he doesn't wake up. POS wasting valuable court time and money for zero reason and putting the family through more unnecessary anguish.

Burn in hell scumbag.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post: