Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2015, 06:21 PM   #21
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The accused is the husband of the dayhome operator.

Our oldest daughter, who is now 8 went to this dayhome for 2 years between 2007-2009 prior to Montessori pre-school.

My wife and I were shocked when we saw this in the news today. Looking back, we never had any reason to be concerned but it sure gets you thinking.... Sue ran a good dayhome by all accounts and was always very good at communicating with us. The accused was seldom around back then as he was always working during the day.

This is just awful.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:26 PM   #22
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

4 year old molested and she's not cooperative with the police? lock her up too!
Old 02-10-2015, 08:29 PM   #23
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Can someone dig up a picture of this guy?
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:28 PM   #24
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I don't know if licensed or unlicensed makes a real difference. Child Preditors find a way. Hockey, Schools (heavily licensed with significant background checks), churchs, charities, etc all have had these issues.
I agree there is no foolproof way. However, having a license means a provincial inspector comes several times a year to evaluate. Would he of caught this, maybe not. However, there are plenty of other dangers that may get caught and injuries prevented.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:30 PM   #25
Ben_in_Canada
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is awful.
It's so hard to find good options for child care and then something like this comes out.
In the past when I had to put my daughter in the care of others I would always tour the property and ask to meet everyone who may be present when my child would be there. Fortunately never had an serious issues (had one woman who decided to punish all the kids by putting Franks sauce on their tongues).
Ben_in_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:24 AM   #26
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Something doesn't seem right with this story, 2 separate clients backing the operator and keeping their kids in the day home.

My brain can't convict this guy just yet.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:15 AM   #27
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

I have seen both sides of these type of situations before.

When I was in the 6th grade a daycare that I went to after school the owners son was accused of taking two little girls mabye five or six into the washroom and telling them to lower there pants.The daycare was shutdown he went to therapy and was married about ten years ago.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:09 AM   #28
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

The oddest thing was on Global news last night they interviewed a parent who said that they will still be bringing their child there.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:23 AM   #29
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
The oddest thing was on Global news last night they interviewed a parent who said that they will still be bringing their child there.
Yeah. My friends had a dayhome two years ago and their employee was accused, never convicted, of the same thing. And the parents were going nuts, not because their kids may have been at risk, but because they had no where to store them for the couple weeks while they were closed. It's truly weird. I won't even put my dog in a kennel for a weekend.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:12 AM   #30
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Yeah. My friends had a dayhome two years ago and their employee was accused, never convicted, of the same thing. And the parents were going nuts, not because their kids may have been at risk, but because they had no where to store them for the couple weeks while they were closed. It's truly weird. I won't even put my dog in a kennel for a weekend.
Terrible post.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2015, 10:23 AM   #31
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

As of this morning, she's apparently still advertising her dayhome (as in, putting up new ones dated today). Weird.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:38 AM   #32
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Terrible post.
Depends. It seems he's trying to convey that the incident and the children themselves were both an inconvenience.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:56 AM   #33
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I felt he was judging the parents for getting stressed out over where to take their kids. Finding alternative childcare is extremely hard on short notice. Very stressful for parents. His post sounded very judgmental of those parents.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2015, 11:15 AM   #34
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oncescu said the owner of the dayhome was originally cooperating with police, but is now refusing to provide them with information on her clients, citing privacy concerns.
What purpose does this serve at this stage of the investigation by releasing this sort of statement to the public?

Maybe she did have genuine privacy concerns regarding the release of information. I dunno, in this day and age where you can get sued for anything maybe she was unsure as to whether she was legally obliged/allowed to release this information to the cops.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:30 AM   #35
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I felt he was judging the parents for getting stressed out over where to take their kids. Finding alternative childcare is extremely hard on short notice. Very stressful for parents. His post sounded very judgmental of those parents.
Bingo. From what I can see, stressed out parents do not give a hoot where they "lovingly place" their kids. When a large daycare in Richmond burned down last year my friend with the competing daycare had parents literally dropping their kids off, sight unseen, with a certified check taped to their backpack. If you've got a plastic slide in the front yard and a light on in the basement, that's good enough. You think it's stressful for the parents? Try being the kid with Frank's Red Hot on his tongue.

It's just weird. We give hundreds of thousands of dollars to crooks like Concrete Equities, Platinum Equities, Bernie Madoff, etc simply because they have a web site and a nice office. We drop off the one thing in the world we love most at strangers' houses. Then we go back to those same houses begging to return our kids even when they've failed at their one task. I don't get it and therefore I guess I can't judge. But I see how it might sound "judgie".
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:32 AM   #36
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

nm
Old 02-11-2015, 11:55 AM   #37
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Bingo. From what I can see, stressed out parents do not give a hoot where they "lovingly place" their kids. When a large daycare in Richmond burned down last year my friend with the competing daycare had parents literally dropping their kids off, sight unseen, with a certified check taped to their backpack. If you've got a plastic slide in the front yard and a light on in the basement, that's good enough. You think it's stressful for the parents? Try being the kid with Frank's Red Hot on his tongue.

It's just weird. We give hundreds of thousands of dollars to crooks like Concrete Equities, Platinum Equities, Bernie Madoff, etc simply because they have a web site and a nice office. We drop off the one thing in the world we love most at strangers' houses. Then we go back to those same houses begging to return our kids even when they've failed at their one task. I don't get it and therefore I guess I can't judge. But I see how it might sound "judgie".
I don't think that's the norm at all - most parents do a lot of research before selecting where to send their kids. But due to the shortage of childcare facilities in Calgary if an emergency happens it can be a real problem. It happened to me a couple of years ago and it was fortunate I have a job with the flexibility to sometimes take some time off/work from home on short notice; we tried to find a place with immediate availability but anywhere credible has a long waiting list and the dayhomes we interviewed we weren't comfortable with. If your kids' daycare shuts down without warning for some people the choice may be send their kids wherever they can for the short term, or lose their job. Even harder if your kid is young since a lot of daycares don't like taking kids under 18 months due to the ratio requriements.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2015, 12:23 PM   #38
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Fair point. I see it this way:

1. I find out my dayhome is closed without notice (which has happened to me) because they had too many kids. I felt inconvenienced and annoyed.

2. I find out my dayhome is closed without notice because of suspicion of child abuse. I feel scared, nervous and possibly relieved it's closed. Worrying about work and finding alternate means of childcare takes a back seat.

I read it as him complaining parents were reacting like I did in option #1 for the scenario listed in #2.

Regardless - we shouldn't derail.

Terrible news and I hope all the families who had children here are having conversations with their children.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:25 PM   #39
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Okay, let's hear your recommended course of action for parents who find that their daycare is closed (or under suspicion for a crime) today.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:29 PM   #40
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
What purpose does this serve at this stage of the investigation by releasing this sort of statement to the public?

Maybe she did have genuine privacy concerns regarding the release of information. I dunno, in this day and age where you can get sued for anything maybe she was unsure as to whether she was legally obliged/allowed to release this information to the cops.
TAX EVASION...

I bet a lot of those parents paid cash and she didn't want CRA to find out.