Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2017, 08:55 AM   #121
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincrunch View Post
or you can show up wearing a cowboy hat, a nasa jacket and wear sunglasses.

Yeah baby, i'm a former astronaut who owns a ranch so i'm a space cowboy. Oh the sunglasses, they hide the intensity of my integrity just like my pants hide my embarrassingly freakishly large appendage.
fyp
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:03 AM   #122
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe I missed it in the story, but if she knows where he lives, does that mean she went home with him?
Old 04-28-2017, 10:04 AM   #123
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
A woman can look like Roseanne Barr and pay a company to find her Brad Pitt from Legends of the Fall - that's her right. If they can't make it happen - refund her money. What they can't do is just stick her with Brad Pitt from Twelve Monkeys.
Aside from the apparently fraudulent business practices, the issue is the double-standard in the CBC story. It's considered perfectly sensible and sympathetic for a woman to say she's looking for a man who is tall and has a decent job. However, if a man specified that he was looking for a woman who was under 30 and had big boobs, and he felt ripped off that the company matched him with a 40 year old with a flat chest, I really doubt the CBC would have painted him a sympathetic light.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:54 AM   #124
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Yep. Better not be middle-aged and also dare to *gasp* look middle-aged while you're at it.

The company is a scam and she is a victim. It doesn't really matter what she looks like or how old she is. And besides, nowhere in there did I read that she wanted someone young, tall, fit and rich. She wanted someone in her age range who was employed. That she considered attractive, which I interpret to mean "had dental hygiene", in this case.

Also to all the dudes complaining about height shaming. It sucks that happens. But the knife cuts both ways, be honest. Most men wouldn't choose to date a woman who was several inches taller than them. This lady was 5'10, which is pretty tall, especially for a woman of her age group.
Is this true? Certainly not for me as I have no inferiority complexes that would dictate my woman having to be shorter than me. Tall women come with nice long legs. If I was single I would have absolutely no issue with that. In fact that would be a bonus.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:02 AM   #125
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Maybe I missed it in the story, but if she knows where he lives, does that mean she went home with him?
He probably told her. That's how most people find info out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Aside from the apparently fraudulent business practices, the issue is the double-standard in the CBC story. It's considered perfectly sensible and sympathetic for a woman to say she's looking for a man who is tall and has a decent job. However, if a man specified that he was looking for a woman who was under 30 and had big boobs, and he felt ripped off that the company matched him with a 40 year old with a flat chest, I really doubt the CBC would have painted him a sympathetic light.
how shallow do you have to be to think employment status and breast size are comparable requirements?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 11:04 AM   #126
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

how shallow do you have to be to think employment status and breast size are comparable requirements?
Height and boobs are comparable.

Age and employment status are comparable.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:13 AM   #127
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

Height and height are comparable.

Weight and weight are comparable.

Age and age are comparable.

Employment status and employment status are comparable.

These are human beings Cliff, not comparing different species. Pretty simple way to make accurate comparisons.

Keep preaching that false double standard though. Life is tough for us dudes!
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 11:17 AM   #128
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
That's a good assessment, I got over the whole rush to get married thing, and I kind of like the single life and being able to be a little bit picky about dating instead of rushing to find the one. If I find the one I find the one.

But for woman, it is hard because as much as we've progressed as a society a woman over 30 who's single might as well put on a frumpy dress, get some eyeglasses and a bunch of hair elastics, buy some cats and go work in a library, because that's how she's seem in her social circle.
Jesus. I'm just going to walk into traffic right now then since I have no value to anyone.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:21 AM   #129
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
So he was bragging about his crib?
Old 04-28-2017, 12:03 PM   #130
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a hard time sympathizing with someone dumb enough to drop $7,000 on a dating service. It's unfortunate that she got scammed, but come on!
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:06 PM   #131
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
You mean aside from the main point of the story? Sure, the double standard is irksome.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:09 PM   #132
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Boobs and a big #### is comparable.

Age and age are comparable

Employed and employed are comparable.

If the article said a tall attractive employed women and a homeless women showed up this debate wouldn't be happening.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 12:10 PM   #133
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Strange arguments on here.

A woman can look like Roseanne Barr and pay a company to find her Brad Pitt from Legends of the Fall - that's her right. If they can't make it happen - refund her money. What they can't do is just stick her with Brad Pitt from Twelve Monkeys.
Feel free to open up a dating company where you have to refund the money of everyone who isn't happy. Im sure you'll do great.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:05 PM   #134
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Girl View Post
Jesus. I'm just going to walk into traffic right now then since I have no value to anyone.
Oh EG, of course you have value, at least you will have value once you learn the Dewey Decimal system.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:10 PM   #135
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Age and age are comparable
Are they though? I think guys probably care more about age than women, at least in my experience, particularly once you get past 30. Women seem much more willing to date older men, basically.
Quote:
Employed and employed are comparable.
Whereas in contrast, this seems to be the opposite - at least, what specific job you have seems to be more of a nitpick for women than men in the dating world.
Quote:
And this is clearly not true. Women are much pickier about height than men. Sure, as a general rule taller girls (up to like 5'10 or so) are going to be considered more attractive, but it's not like being under 5'5 is a deal breaker for basically any guy anywhere... whereas lots of girls have pretty hard and fast height requirements.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:21 PM   #136
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Girl View Post
PM sent!
Old 04-28-2017, 01:29 PM   #137
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Are they though? I think guys probably care more about age than women, at least in my experience, particularly once you get past 30. Women seem much more willing to date older men, basically.

Whereas in contrast, this seems to be the opposite - at least, what specific job you have seems to be more of a nitpick for women than men in the dating world.

And this is clearly not true. Women are much pickier about height than men. Sure, as a general rule taller girls (up to like 5'10 or so) are going to be considered more attractive, but it's not like being under 5'5 is a deal breaker for basically any guy anywhere... whereas lots of girls have pretty hard and fast height requirements.
Cliff's position was that there was a double standard that if the article was reversed there would be complaints. Then he switched which traits he choose to evaluate. Your argument is that we should be comparing the hypothetical list of traits a man might prioritize and judge if we would have the same complaints. That seems like muddying the waters significantly.

As really that debate becomes when selecting partners are men more superficial than women? And that is a debate I am not interested in having.

So I stand by my contention that like for like comparisons are apt and that if a man asked for the same requirements as this women did and got a homeless women we wouldn't be shaming him.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 01:32 PM   #138
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
PM sent!
Probably not the first time either!
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:40 PM   #139
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Your argument is that we should be comparing the hypothetical list of traits a man might prioritize and judge if we would have the same complaints.
No, it's not. I don't really have an argument, I was just saying I don't think that the things that men and women consider are actually equivalent for the most part even though some of the factors might overlap. It was basically just musing. Frankly I don't think this story is important enough to have an argument about.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 04-28-2017, 01:51 PM   #140
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
No, it's not. I don't really have an argument, I was just saying I don't think that the things that men and women consider are actually equivalent for the most part even though some of the factors might overlap. It was basically just musing. Frankly I don't think this story is important enough to have an argument about.
But they are equivalent because these are characteristics each individual (whether man or woman) can specify as to what they are looking for in their dating profile. If we are speaking generally, perhaps height is more important to women than to men but this story is about an individual and the specific characteristics she is looking for in a man.

There seems to be lots of personal experiences (grievances?) about dating and the opposite sex that is colouring this discussion about a pretty black and white story about fraud. But that's what makes this thread fascinating.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote