Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2016, 04:52 AM   #761
FragileMind
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Played Desert Blume in Medicine Hat over the weekend.Really enjoyed it.Couple of blind second shots on par 5's and can see the potential for homes coming into play in the future.
Great track as it stands now though.
FragileMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:15 AM   #762
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can't say enough how underated the Strathmore course is. I don't think there's a course in the area with such great greens at that price point.

For the first time ever I shot even par! Was only 9 holes though, played a quick nine in the evening. Was -3 after 4 holes too. Might be time to move to the blue tees from the whites I guess
8sPOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:03 AM   #763
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Slowed down quite a bit from my usual pace of 45-55 rounds a year. I might get 30 in this year.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:09 AM   #764
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

An oral history of the movie "Tin Cup".....

Quote:
Shelton: We needed to get some professional golfers in the movie to give it a flavor of authenticity. So we started calling, and their agents wanted $50,000 for an appearance, like it was a corporate outing. We were like, "No, we're offering them $600." And they all said no way. Then McCord had a great idea.

McCord: I called the players' wives and said, "How'd you like to have dinner with Kevin Costner and Don Johnson? The catch is, your husband is going to have to be on a movie set for a day." We rented a big room in Tucson and let Kevin and Don loose on the girls. I told them, "Be Hollywood, and bulls--- with these women; make them tell their husbands they have to do this movie." In the end, we got 35 players, four U.S. Open winners—and they got SAG minimum!
Quote:
Marin: The first scene we shot was when Don drives up to our trailer in the desert. When he makes fun of our inflatable kiddie pool, he says, "What is that, your swimming pool?" And I ad-libbed, "No, it's a spa." I could see the crew trying not to laugh because they didn't want to ruin the take, but after Ron yelled "Cut" everybody f---ing cracked up. When we broke for lunch, Don disappeared into his mammoth trailer, and when he came back he handed me this script and said, "I'm doing a TV show after this, about a San Francisco cop. I want you to play my partner." It was the script for Nash Bridges. And we went off together for the next six years.
Quote:
McCord: Houston wasn't good for a lot of the guys, because it's got a lot of topless bars. We were sitting in dailies, watching the footage from the previous day, and there were a lot of extras in the background. And Ron goes, "Hold on! Stop!" And he uses a laser pointer to point at these three girls with serious cleavage. And he goes, "All right, whose are those?" And an arm goes up from someone on the crew. The girls were from one of the t---y bars.
Quote:
Foster: Did McCord tell you the Johnny Miller story? There's a scene where Roy is shanking balls at the driving range at the U.S. Open, and Johnny, who's standing next to him, says, "Change your grip a little bit." Roy turns to Romeo and mutters some four-letter words. Well, Johnny's a devout Mormon, and he had some sensitivity to that, and expressed it. It got a little tense.
Quote:
Marin: Two weeks into Tin Cup, I was really trying my hardest, and Ron took me to dinner and asked how it was going. I said, "I just wanted to get two weeks in the can so it would be harder to fire me." He gave me the oddest look and said, "This is your movie. Run with it." And man, was that the best thing he could ever say. My favorite scene is the one where Roy and I get into a fight when he's trying to qualify for the U.S. Open, and he breaks all of his clubs. I knew exactly how to play that one.

Shelton: Self-destructive behavior is at the heart of that scene. What's surprising is the intensity Cheech brought to it. In my mind it was whimsical, but Cheech had such deep range in it. After the first take, he walked off, and I went after him and put my arm around him and said, "Is everything okay?" And he said, "This scene is me breaking up with Tommy Chong." It was a remarkable moment, and it gave energy to the scene that maybe wasn't even there.
http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/or...-iconic-movies

Last edited by Dion; 08-11-2016 at 12:15 AM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dion For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2016, 06:38 PM   #765
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

looking to get down to lethbridge and play 4 or 5 courses, have a rough idea of what courses we will play over the 3 days but does anyone have any recomendations? i have heard that Lee Creek in Cardston is quite nice... so it is probably on the list..
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:27 PM   #766
Gord_Wappel
Backup Goalie

Exp:

These would be my recommendations:

Paradise Canyon
Macgrath
Picture Butte
and if you don't mind a bit of a drive Crowsnest Pass.

Wasn't a fan of Lee Valley personally. Some pretty quirky stuff which isn't my thing but is challenging.
Gord_Wappel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gord_Wappel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2016, 09:05 AM   #767
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Paradise Canyon for sure. Other then that they are all the same to me. Land o Lakes or Picture Butte are ok.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:20 AM   #768
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lee Creek is definitely worth playing. I didn't mind Picture Butte but found it kind of boring. Paradise is great too.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:34 AM   #769
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord_Wappel View Post
and if you don't mind a bit of a drive Crowsnest Pass.
If you haven't played Crowsnest Pass you really need too. The only goofy hole for me is #2. Other than that it's an amazing track with some of the best views around. They have done a ton of work on it the past few years and it has been in fantastic shape.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:01 PM   #770
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone on here played Coal Creek? Heading up there tomorrow looks like it might be a fun track. Could definitely use some tips if anyone has them though as there will be a whopping $5 at stake
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:56 AM   #771
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
Anyone on here played Coal Creek? Heading up there tomorrow looks like it might be a fun track. Could definitely use some tips if anyone has them though as there will be a whopping $5 at stake
They have black bunkers, super weird.
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:09 PM   #772
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Going to be a caddie for the ProAm part of this years Shaw Charity Classic.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:25 PM   #773
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played Greywolf Saturday. Played relatively poorly, but course is immaculate right now. Greens quite slow though.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:44 PM   #774
FragileMind
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverfresH15 View Post
They have black bunkers, super weird.
Christina Lake BC has had them for 10 yrs or more.Stay out on a hot day!!!Will always be my home course,regardless of where I live.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:53 AM   #775
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Coal Creek........great track! you have to like links style though as it is very little trees and lots of fescue. It can be punishing if you aren't straight but I found it still to be pretty fair. The bunkers are black yes but they play like a bit heavier/coarser sand trap. Worth the drive for a weekend trip to play a couple courses in the area or on the way.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:40 AM   #776
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
If you haven't played Crowsnest Pass you really need too. The only goofy hole for me is #2. Other than that it's an amazing track with some of the best views around. They have done a ton of work on it the past few years and it has been in fantastic shape.
As someone who lives out here and plays it regularily. I second this!! I love this course. It's challenging enough and as it was stated above, second to none views. Plus if you are going middle of the week, check out the GolfNow app and get a round for $30 with cart.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:51 AM   #777
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played 54 this weekend. Man are all the courses in amazing shape right now.

Played River Spirit and Sirocco on Saturday, then Speargrass on Sunday.

River Spirit is in mighty fine shape right now. Greens are fast and smooth. Wish they'd put an aiming marker on Cattails#7. All 4 of us hit the ball into the hazard because we couldn't remember the routing. The landing area is completely blind from the black tees. Would also be nice if they would put some money into their cart paths. I think I rattled a filling loose on one hole. At least they filled the holes on the driveway.

Sirocco just punched their greens so they will be bumpy for about another week. They looked like they had cut then since they punched, but they are pretty slow and quite bumpy at the moment.

Speargrass is in the best shape I've ever seen it. They have the best greens I've played on this year. Such a joy to play there. The pace of play yesterday was super fast too. We finished in under 4 hours and couldn't keep up to the foursome in front of us.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:03 PM   #778
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragileMind View Post
Christina Lake BC has had them for 10 yrs or more.Stay out on a hot day!!!Will always be my home course,regardless of where I live.
Beat me to it, those bunkers are pretty neat.

Managed to get in a few rounds over the past few weeks while on vacation in B.C. I haven't played a lot this year but holy crap the inconsistency in my game is irritating. Went from my best round of the season last Tuesday to the worst round of my life two days later (no exaggeration). One day I am striking the ball really well albeit it not always straight, two days later I cannot make contact if my life depended on it.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:23 PM   #779
FragileMind
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Three things I just found out about Banff Springs

1.They have been offering 20% discounts to Ab residents for the entire season.
2.You can play on your B-day for your age + cart.
3.You can buy an annual out there for under 3K.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FragileMind For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2016, 10:01 PM   #780
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Posted this in the 'Other Sports' section but not everyone goes over to that forum so thought I'd re-post it here. I caddied last week at the CP Women's Open at Priddis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Cool. Can you tell us about your background - are you a local pro or something? I would've imagined that the top women have their own regular caddies like the men, but if that wasn't the case they'd need someone with good golfing chops.
I'm not a professional but I am a decent golfer. Worked in the Pro Shop at a course here for the last five summers, and I've caddied in a few PGA of Alberta events. When I applied for the Pro-Am there was a place on the application to write in caddy experience. I said I had caddied in a few professional events, and they contacted me to ask if I'd be interested in caddying for a pro for the week. I was thrilled, and a little nervous. But it was an amazing experience.

I was with her from Monday to Sunday, two practice rounds, a day of practice, and then four tournament rounds. She made a couple cuts this season so I'm not sure what I was expecting, but making the cut was the goal so we said that we wanted to be under par both days. That was the mantra. Red numbers. We figured that would make the cut.

I took detailed notes on her club usage, talked strategy off the tee and on approach shots, paced off yardages, but left putt reading mostly to her. Just a reminder here and there of when a putt was insanely fast and would likely run away, which a lot of them were. The greens were very fast and tough to read.

She shot 71 on Thursday and was pretty happy with her round, and then Friday she went on a little run halfway through the round and made an eagle and a few birdies. Before we knew it she was -7, and we were heading to the weekend. Shot 66 on Friday, and was thrilled, and T-9 on the leaderboard.

Imagine my surprise when I checked tee times that night and saw that we were off Saturday morning at 10:28 with Lydia Ko. I almost pooped myself. I think I was more nervous than she was, but I tried to treat it like it was no big deal for her sake. Later in the day I asked her if she was nervous and she said just on the first tee, and that it was her first time meeting Lydia and golfing with someone with that kind of attention and following.

The round with Lydia was awesome. Nervous tension the entire time, she is so intense and serious. Very thorough and takes every single shot seriously, never missing any kind of angle and talking through everything with her caddy. The galleries following us were insane, unlike anything I've seen, but once the round gets going you really don't notice. You just focus on the golf. My player grinded out a couple long par putts on 1 and 2, and then chipped in out of the bunker on 3 for birdie to break the tension a little bit. Played really well from there and shot 69, finishing the day at -10, tied with Lydia. Lydia shot 70. Tied for 10th heading to Sunday.

Sunday was tough. Very cold early in the morning and our group was put on the clock after our tee shots on the 4th hole because we encountered some difficulty on the first few. So we were basically running until the 14th when we were told we were back on time. None of the 5-10 foot birdie putts that were falling earlier in the week were going in. So it wasn't necessarily grinding pars all day. They were all pretty easy pars, but just no birdies to offset the few bogeys she made. She ended up shooting 76 and fell down the leaderboard. Had to be -2 or -3 to keep pace with the field.

All in all it was an amazing experience. We played with some awesome golfers on the weekend (Lydia Ko, Minjee Lee, Chella Choi, Gaby Lopez) and were in contention to win some big bucks. It just didn't come together on Sunday like we would've liked. Had a great time though, it was a pretty awesome way to experience a golf tournament like that, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Found Lydia on the putting green after our round on Saturday and got a photo with her, ate a few meals with Ariya Jutanugarn (she's friends with the player I caddied for), and had a short chat with Brooke Henderson on Saturday, who I am a big fan of and have been following for years after I saw her play in 2012.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow