Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #281
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Expecting this organization to make the playoffs is rather, um, optimistic?

Not sure what Edwards is thinking, whether it was just a motivational ploy, or actual perception on his part that we are "close".

I'd be shocked if this team made the playoffs in 3 years let alone next year
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #282
$ven27
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What'd Francis say?
$ven27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #283
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Francis was being Francis. Poor listening skills.

Now I will put it on Feaster for not being more careful the way he put it originally, but his explanation in the Fan interview made total sense, and anyone who doesnt see that just prefers to be angry and suspicious.

The proof will be if the Flames bring in anyone who is over 30, particularly in exchange for future assets. I am betting they don't.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #284
metroneck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

12 months, or even 4 months ago, what were the 'experts' saying about Montreal?

In the past 4 years I challenge anyone to name a CDN team that did not make at least 2 or 3 absolutely stupid moves.

During that time, with the exception of Van (whose time is coming up real fast), all those teams have been in the toilet.

By no means am I a big fan of the current coach and GM, but I think a lot of the media is being a little over the top. They all sound like rivals trying to sell tickets to a fight.

Tell it like it is, but the venom in which many of them spew, is very unprofessional.
metroneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #285
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroneck View Post
12 months, or even 4 months ago, what were the 'experts' saying about Montreal?

In the past 4 years I challenge anyone to name a CDN team that did not make at least 2 or 3 absolutely stupid moves.

During that time, with the exception of Van (whose time is coming up real fast), all those teams have been in the toilet.
The media isn't contemptuous of the Flames because we're in 28th place. They're contemptuous of the Flames becauses we're in 28th place, we're a cap team, and we have probably the worst collection of under 27 talent in the NHL. We're four seasons into missing the playoffs and we're just starting a rebuild now.

Montreal and Ottawa had terrible seasons, but they had Price, Subban, Pacioretti, Spezza, and Karlsson already in place. The teams that share the cellar of the NHL with us have payrolls 12, 15 million lower than the Flames. Florida has been decimated by injuries. What are the Flames' excuses? That nobody saw this coming? Everyone except for the Flames brass and about half the fanbase in Calgary saw this coming years ago.

If Vancouver misses the playoffs next year, and then keeps the same core for three more seasons of missing the playoffs, and finish as a lottery team, all while spending to the cap and claiming they're competitive, they'll be a laughing stock as well. And deservedly so.

The media has been right about Calgary for years. Maybe it took open derision from the rest of the league to shake this franchise out of its complacency.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote