Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
DrJ
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Safari Downloaded Item Help

Thanks in advance for your help CP.

I was trying to download a review lecture for school where the session was taped. To download it, I have to log in to a secure site and click on the session I want to download. However, it isn't a link that I can simply "right click, download to desktop". I click on the "image" and it starts to buffer the video in a Quicktime format where progress of the download is indicated by the grey bar. Normally it finishes buffering and then I save it.

Unfortunately, I ran out of HD space as I was downloading and it stopped. I made some room, restarted my comp and when I clicked on the lecture, it won't allow me to download more of it. It is stuck on the point where it stopped and although I can watch video up to that point, it won't download anymore video past.

Is there a way I can delete this "partial/temporary" file so I can resume the download and watch the rest?

Thanks!
DrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:40 PM   #2
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

The partial file is in your downloads folder . . . Unless you've changed the default location. Since it's secure, you won't be able to start up the download from a partial file, so you'll have to start it over.

The file that appears in yoru dl folder probably won't be what the file would be called if it was completed.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HotHotHeat For This Useful Post:
DrJ
Old 03-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
DrJ
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks for your advice but I don't think I explained it clearly enough.

Hopefully this picture helps...

It won't buffer past the "grey bar" and I have no idea how to delete this so I can restart my download. Every time I start up Safari and try to view this, I can't watch past the last buffer point before my HD was full. Hopefully that makes it a bit more clear.

Last edited by DrJ; 03-14-2011 at 02:09 PM.
DrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you tried resetting Safari? Other than that, and clearing the partial file in you DL folder, I'm not sure what else to suggest, sorry man. Hope you figure it out.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

If you get desperate, install a new browser. Chrome on a Mac has been pretty good to me so far and I find worth having around, otherwise Firefox.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote