Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2011, 02:48 AM   #1
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:
Default Blizzard's 20th Anniversary Retro Video

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company...-retrospective

Some pretty cool stuff. Brings back a ton of memories for sure.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep. I got on the Blizzard bandwagon when my college roomie called me into his room to show us all this "cool new game" he'd just bought. Next thing I knew, we were hooking our 4 comps together and going head to head in Warcraft...
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:07 AM   #3
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

mmmm Blizzard. What's your favorite flavour?

... and why are you talking about computer games, WhiteTiger?

Yes, I know what Blizzard means.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

mmmmmm White Tiger Blizzard.
WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
mmmm Blizzard. What's your favorite flavour?

... and why are you talking about computer games, WhiteTiger?.
Well, I do tend to enjoy video games...

And my favorite Blizzard flavor is Chocolate Brownie.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:30 AM   #6
Morozee
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Definitely brings back a lot of memories. Warcraft: Orcs vs. Humans was the first game my friends and I ever successfully connected via modem to play head to head. It was actually the demo, it came on a cd with some PC magazine back in the day. Probably 1994ish? We thought that was the coolest thing ever as this was a couple years before any form of internet was available in our small town. I still remember sending a message after the modem was done making noise and the game started. Something like "you there?"... and getting the response "Yep!" from my friend. Good times.

One night, again probably 1994 or 95, a friend of mine and I were hanging out and for whatever reason I was browsing through the Warcraft player's manual. The last page I believe had a sort of company directory of all the names of the people who worked on the game at Blizzard, as well as the company head quarters phone number. I suggested to my buddy "Hey, we should phone Blizzard and tell them their game kicks ass!" He agreed, but who should we try to get a hold of?

Looking through the names, there was a fellow by the name of Bill Roper. He was credited with doing the voices and we thought that was pretty cool so we gave it a shot. It was one of those "Enter the first 3 letters of the name of the person you are trying to reach", so we entered ROP and sure enough the system put us through to Mr. Roper. He answered with a "Hello, Bill here". We were 15 at the time, so it wasn't the most intelligent conversation. Basically it was "Hey man, we just wanted to tell you we love your game up here in Canada and great job on the voices for Warcraft!" lol, he sort of chuckled and gave an awkward "Thanks, I appreciate that." That was basically all I had so I said "alright man, that's all we wanted to say. Keep up the good work, we can't wait for Warcraft 2..." He cut me off and asks "Hey, what is your address up there? I'll send you guys a couple T-shirts!" Sure enough, a couple weeks later a package arrives in the mail with 2 t-shirts and 5 or 6 Warcraft 2 posters! Pretty good of him.

Morozee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Morozee For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #7
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Dammit, now I want to play Warcraft 2 again. Love that game to this day.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #8
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Lost Vikings was my first Blizzard game. Never cared for WC1 or WC2 or Diablo.

Lost Vikings was sick for platforming games at the time. The puzzles were incredibly hard and it was great for multiplayer as games where you could co-op in a puzzle/rpg/platforming environment with the 2 SNES controllers were rare.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 03-10-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #9
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Yeah, they were never the same after they changed the name from Silicon and Synapses.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #10
TylerSVT
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I used to play D2X and W3X all the time. I still play DOTA with some friends once in a while which i find is funny.

I was actually a beta tester for Frozen Throne and War 3.

Didnt buy WOW or SC2... they just dont look that great to me, D3 looks all right so far... but Blizzard has stopped innovating things.
TylerSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #11
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post

Lost Vikings was sick for platforming games at the time. The puzzles were incredibly hard and it was great for multiplayer as games where you could co-op in a puzzle/rpg/platforming environment with the 2 SNES controllers were rare.
You have been hurt Hack&Lube, this much is true, sometime in the early-mid 90's... who hurt you.. who hurt you...
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2011, 12:54 AM   #12
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
icon54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
I used to play D2X and W3X all the time. I still play DOTA with some friends once in a while which i find is funny.

I was actually a beta tester for Frozen Throne and War 3.

Didnt buy WOW or SC2... they just dont look that great to me, D3 looks all right so far... but Blizzard has stopped innovating things.
I think we'll see with their next mmo (released sometime in the next 20 years) if they truly have or not.

They aren't my absolute favorite company, but they are right up there for consistency in putting out solid products that I will continue to eat up and buy time and time again.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:56 AM   #13
Yanda
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I remember Rock n Roll Racing. Playing W1/2, D2, SC1/2, and WoW up till Wotlk.

Blizzard makes great games, thats why Warcraft/Starcraft will always be more successful than Command and Conquer or any other RTS game.
Yanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:05 AM   #14
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Lost Vikings was where I started with Blizzard, I remember thinking at the time that this game was just so unique, the graphics were so different. It was obvious someone put a lot of effort into the game, it wasn't just some cliche crap sent out to make nothing but money.

I also remember staying up late on a buddies computer to play Warcraft 1 because all I had was a commodore at the time and it couldn't run the game.

I fiended on WC3 for a long time, I never got a chance to get into Diablo 1 but I played UO with a lot of people who did so I imagine I missed out. My first Windows based computer didn't come until 97.. and I bought it to play UO, pretty expensive video game system.. hah..

I was a dedicated MMO player in my high school/University days, played UO and DAOC religiously with stints in EQ, AC and D2. I remember getting talked into trying out WOW, I logged into the open beta as a level 1 Tuaren Druid and I couldn't log back out till I was level 10. I just literally couldn't put the game down.

It was nothing like having your heart jump into your throat the first time a player attacks you in UO, but it was its own unique feeling. Pretty damn cool, and such a polished game.

I have played it on and off since, my largest stint probably coming during TBC.. I think the game has gotten steadily worse since, but every MMO feels like that after a while.

I really liked the quote he said about how their next MMO will go after every single WOW player, because if they don't, someone else will. So true. I kind of hate Blizzard for what they did to the MMO market. But at the same time it wasn't them, it was going to be the next guy so I should be glad that at least a good company got the business.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:23 AM   #15
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
Yeah, they were never the same after they changed the name from Silicon and Synapses.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #16
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

LoL Indie Cat, how I love you.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #17
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
You have been hurt Hack&Lube, this much is true, sometime in the early-mid 90's... who hurt you.. who hurt you...
I have to admit that I do love Lionel Ritchie songs. As far as who hurt me, you're not my therapist!

But seriously. Now you guys are putting words into my mouth. I do play Starcraft 2. The only thing is that I don't play any of the popular games or play on the ladder. I only play custom games that I can never find anybody hosting or willing to join a game of.

Warcraft 3 was probably my favorite Blizzard game of all, simply because there was such a saturation of players (WC3 came out before console multiplayer really took off) that there were tons of people that played the sort of custom games that I like (Co-op games, Tower Defense, etc.).

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 03-11-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #18
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
He started it.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:58 PM   #19
ma-skis.com
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I'm pretty sure if you go on to the blizzard site or battle.net site and sign up you can download it for 10 bucks and play online against people too through battle.net

i remember seeing D2 in there after i bought startcraft 2 and was severely tempted to stop raising my son for a while

figure i can wait till D3 comes out.
ma-skis.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #20
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I made the smart decision to buy it a couple years ago. It aged a lot better than Orcs Vs Humans.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote