Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Bold 9700 for Samsung Galaxy S

Just as the title says...would you do it? I've had someone offer me a Samsung Galaxy S for my Bold 9700. I've been thinking about going to Android. Just not sure if I should. Would you do this trade?
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

The only real question is...can you live without BBM?
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will you become an Andriod evangelist then?
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Google and Apple are being proactive, RIM is being re-active lately. I've been looking at an Android device lately too.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
Yeah, I think so. I talk to a lot of people through SMS. Not to mention that I could use Google Talk I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
Will you become an Andriod evangelist then?
Maybe...he he he.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

With that being said, anyone with a Galaxy S want to chime in? Would love to hear from those that have one. It sure looks sweet.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:05 PM   #7
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

WhatsApp is pretty awesome on android as a BBM replacement. Does group chat between all platforms(BB, Android, Iphone). I have an S and love it. Fast, awesome screen. Great for surfing the net/watching videos. Never crashes.
Finner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #8
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have used a co-workers Galaxy S, and while it is a nice phone I couldn't give up my physical keyboard.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:39 PM   #9
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah, I hear that, but there is so much more than that. Plus, I have fat fingers...LOL.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #10
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilKiller View Post
Yeah, I hear that, but there is so much more than that. Plus, I have fat fingers...LOL.
Just depends what you want to use your phone for. Only you know that for sure.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:58 PM   #11
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Just depends what you want to use your phone for. Only you know that for sure.
I do a lot of messaging, but I'm also getting blind, so the BB smaller screen is killing me...LOL.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:33 PM   #12
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
Just found this...interesting...

http://www.liveprofile.com/
Old 03-03-2011, 12:45 AM   #13
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

One of the fellas at work has that phone. And if for some reason, I got banned from owning an iPhone, it would be my next choice. It is a very, very nice device. It's gestures and "smoothness" of operation are very close to that of the iPhone 4. It is pretty impressive.

On a side note. I have seen an entire workplace go from BB to iPhone, and not one person misses BBM. With these unlimited texting plans now, it is a redundant feature.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:06 AM   #14
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Galaxy owner here

It's a nice phone but it's still a little buggy as Samsung rushed it's development imo. At this point, the phone should come with Android 2.2 which is a great improvement over 2.1.
The pros, it's a very fast and media friendly phone. It's lightweight (some people don't like that though) and pretty easy to use.

The cons. Wish it had a flash and digital zooming for the camera, but the camera functions and settings are quite good. BB users will miss having a physical keyboard. However, Galaxy comes stock with Swype, a gesture based texting system which is easy to pick up

There are other advance people on here who have rooted their phones, and it enables even more amazing functions and programs

Hope this helps and I can answer any questions you might have
Old 03-03-2011, 07:25 AM   #15
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lchoy View Post
Galaxy owner here

It's a nice phone but it's still a little buggy as Samsung rushed it's development imo. At this point, the phone should come with Android 2.2 which is a great improvement over 2.1.
The pros, it's a very fast and media friendly phone. It's lightweight (some people don't like that though) and pretty easy to use.

The cons. Wish it had a flash and digital zooming for the camera, but the camera functions and settings are quite good. BB users will miss having a physical keyboard. However, Galaxy comes stock with Swype, a gesture based texting system which is easy to pick up

There are other advance people on here who have rooted their phones, and it enables even more amazing functions and programs

Hope this helps and I can answer any questions you might have
I basically agree with this. I have had both and the Galaxy is just so much faster at absolutely everything it's amazing. I still haven't got to the point of being able to type as fast as I could on my BB, but I was used to a BB keyboard for a few years. The swype feature on the Galaxy makes typing so much easier and I'm getting close to my BB speed.

Can't agree more about the camera needing a flash, but with the 2.2 update mine all of sudden has 4x zoom now.

For me this would be a very easy decision if it's a straight across trade.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hanni For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #16
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
I basically agree with this. I have had both and the Galaxy is just so much faster at absolutely everything it's amazing. I still haven't got to the point of being able to type as fast as I could on my BB, but I was used to a BB keyboard for a few years. The swype feature on the Galaxy makes typing so much easier and I'm getting close to my BB speed.

Can't agree more about the camera needing a flash, but with the 2.2 update mine all of sudden has 4x zoom now.

For me this would be a very easy decision if it's a straight across trade.

Whoa, you're right. I have digital zoom!
Learn something new every day
Old 03-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #17
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Galaxy is great... I have one on 2.2 and its got a lot of good features. With gingerbread (2.3) due out this month, you're only going to see more features, improved usability and speed. RIM is not quite as fast on their updates (tho mind you android updates speeds are vendor specific and samsung is a little slow)

Plus, like others have said... BBM can be replaced with whatsapp. Another thing on android is cloud storage for things like your contacts, msgs, calender, etc. Don't ever need to worry if your phone dies... everything is backed up (except media). Great feature.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #18
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah, I have watched a lot of YouTube reviews on this device and it sure seems sweet. I was just cruising through the Android market and wow, way more apps in there than in the BB market.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:40 AM   #19
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've got a Galaxy S and it is pretty sweet. The screen is pretty much what sold me on it, the resolution is just awesome for video. Also very quick, I've went online when my buddies were with their iPhones at the the same time and I swear the Galaxy is faster. And for those with BB worried about not having a physical keyboard, you need to get on the Swype express. Still prob not as fast as a physical keyboard, but its a lot easier than using the screen keyboard. It's pretty slick.

The only drawback, as mentioned earlier, is it tends to be a bit buggy. I just got the phone December 30th, and already I'm just about ready to take this in for my 3rd one now. The good news is that Samsung knows they're buggy, so they will always take it in for free repair (as is my understanding anyway), even after your warranty has run out.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #20
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hmmm...that's not good considering I will be getting it through a third party. Would suck if the phone was no good. When you say "buggy", what do you mean? What's "buggy" that needs the phone replaced with a new one?

My Bold has been rock solid, so that worries me.