Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default TV Purchasing Help

So I bought a TV form Visions and got the extended warranty for 3 years, I never used it and so now I have a $499 credit off a purchase I make. I also sold that TV for $600 which now gives me roughly $1100 TV budget., Im willing to toss in $100-$200 more if need be but would like to try and stay in my budget.

So in the last 3 years TV's have changed alot and Im just looking for some help on what may be a wise purchase or some things to look for in a new TV. My old TV was a 46", ideally I would like a 50" since the 46" was a little bit small for the room it was situated in.

Input from the CP Tech guru's would be greatly appreciated.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Does Visions Price match?

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...28116(ME).aspx

I like plasmas and still will only buy plasma at this point, Panasonic Viera's are usually quite good. There will be alot of CPers who don't like plasmas though.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #3
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The new models are coming out soon, so you should be able to bargain for a last years model.

The Panasonic 50" GT25 for $1298, looks interesting to me, if you like plasmas and are interested in a 3D TV.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2011, 05:33 PM   #4
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm not too worried about anything 3D, I won't like I'm pretty clueless about Plasmas Im still under the impression burn in is a risk, but know they supposedly offer better color and are better to watch sports on.

I'm kind of a TV dummy.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just bought a TV around the pricepoint you are looking for. My friend and I looked at quite a few different models, both lcd and plasma and ended up settling on the Panasonic Plasma 50" model. I can't remember the model offhand, but in our research at this pricepoint we both liked it significantly more than most/all lcd models.

This was just after christmas, so prices and models should be similar still.

We haven't had any issue with burn in as of yet, and that includes video games and accidentally leaving it on one night. Been perfect so far.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cain For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2011, 06:05 PM   #6
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
I'm not too worried about anything 3D, I won't like I'm pretty clueless about Plasmas Im still under the impression burn in is a risk, but know they supposedly offer better color and are better to watch sports on.

I'm kind of a TV dummy.
I experienced burn in on a low range LG Plasma recently. I also had pretty heavy image retention on a mid-range Samsung (which also had a strange directional buzz). I've been told that if you are going with plasma, to buy Panasonic. However, in a side by side comparison a Panasonic plasma did not impress me over other models...LCD or plasma.

I settled on a 47" LG LED and (knock on wood) couldn't be happier. I had some backlight bleeding and clouding, but I was able to remedy it enough to make it barely noticeable.

Personally, I have never noticed the difference between plasma and LCD/LED other than the image retention/burn in. I'm not a videophile by any means, I just like to have a TV that works for the 80% gaming I do on it. A lot of people will have a lot of different opinions and mis-information, but I will only give you personal experience and recommend finding one you personally think looks good. While the community here is more than willing to help, I didn't always get the best advice.

Good luck, and I hope you find an outstanding deal on a set that you will love.

EDIT: I should add that my price range was the same as your own.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #7
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
However, in a side by side comparison a Panasonic plasma did not impress me over other models...LCD or plasma.
For the OP, remember that side by side comparisons in the stores will often sadly tell you very little. Many stores will set their lower price-point, lower margin sets on a lower brightness and contrast and generally subpar settings to make their expensive and higher profit sets look better.

If there's anything we've learned from Yamer, it's don't buy TVs from Costco
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #8
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Would a projector work for you? There is a thread on projectors in tech talk as well as some info in the home theater mega thread.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #9
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Unfortunatly a projector would not fit in the room I'm looking to replace the tv in.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gundo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2011, 06:58 PM   #10
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think most of the top brands, Sony, LG, Samsung, Panasonic and a couple of others make good TVs but I also think you get what you pay for, in the sense that if you buy a lower end model, you're more likely to run into problems. So if you can find a top model of one of these brands, at a good price, I'd seriously check it out. The Panasonic GT25 is their second model from the top and their plasmas have a good rep, and it's on sale at a good price so that's why I mentioned it. Having said that I've never owned a plasma and everyone has their own preferences, needs and experience.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:20 AM   #11
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
For the OP, remember that side by side comparisons in the stores will often sadly tell you very little. Many stores will set their lower price-point, lower margin sets on a lower brightness and contrast and generally subpar settings to make their expensive and higher profit sets look better.

If there's anything we've learned from Yamer, it's don't buy TVs from Costco
No doubt. They even put a base on one of the Vizio sets backwards, and it was leaning forward pretty heavily. The slight variation in model numbers and the way they are handled in shipping must be making the difference.

And yeah, the only way to really know how they are going to look, performance wise, is when you get them home and set them up. I was mostly talking about features and physical appearance (such as swiveling, and how darn sexy it is). Apart from a really cheap set you can probably tune/adjust them all to look good to your eye. Calibration is overpriced and subjective, IMO.

Maybe another suggestion Gundo (based on personal experience) is to take your time and find a set you are interested in. If you have the time and capability, bring it home and play with it...test it out. If you don't like it or find a fault, take it back. Most places have at least a 30 day full guarantee return policy. Again, that is if you have the time, patience, and capability to do that. It worked for finicky old me, although over half of the ones I took back were defective.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #12
Prototype

Exp:

From what I understand of the Visions warranty, You have to atleast make a purchase of $998 with your $499 credit (ie-can't be used for more than 50% of your purchase.) Sounds like you're set with the TV sale, but keep in mind that if you buy a $700 TV, you will only be able to use $350 of your credit, lose the rest, and spend $350 in cash.

I could be wrong, cause I haven't used mine yet, but that's how I understood it.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:36 PM   #13
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not too worried about anything 3D.
That is why you fail.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:09 PM   #14
jayocal
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

When I want to see 3D, I simply look away from the television.
jayocal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayocal For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #15
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
From what I understand of the Visions warranty, You have to atleast make a purchase of $998 with your $499 credit (ie-can't be used for more than 50% of your purchase.) Sounds like you're set with the TV sale, but keep in mind that if you buy a $700 TV, you will only be able to use $350 of your credit, lose the rest, and spend $350 in cash.

I could be wrong, cause I haven't used mine yet, but that's how I understood it.
Yeah thats also how I understand it to work as well, they wouldn't have to offer if they didn't get something out of the customer again. Keep an eye on your Rebate expiry date as well, I applied for mine about a month ago and just noticed I only had a year from the anniversary date to use it, so I have 1 year from when the warranty was expired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
That is why you fail.
Thanks for your insightful input into the conversation.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:08 PM   #16
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for your insightful input into the conversation.
Alright... I suggest you get 3D. Even if you don't think you want it if you get the one Vulcan suggested it doesn't hurt 2D performance, it's around your budget and it's good futureproofing.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:17 PM   #17
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Make sure you get your TV professionally calibrated (you can do this yourself)...the difference you can make calibrating is worth much more than the difference between a low end TV and the most expensive technology. If any of you have not done this, do it NOW, this will make your TV worth every penny.
Plasma - for low light rooms
LED LCD - great for vids and rooms with lights.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:42 AM   #18
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Alright... I suggest you get 3D. Even if you don't think you want it if you get the one Vulcan suggested it doesn't hurt 2D performance, it's around your budget and it's good futureproofing.
For playing computer games, 3D is fine. Goggles are fine. For actual 3DTV, I'd wait for goggle-less technology to sit on the couch.

How's your setup going? Did you get a new videocard? How are you doing yours again? Projectors?
Old 02-25-2011, 02:47 AM   #19
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
For playing computer games, 3D is fine. Goggles are fine. For actual 3DTV, I'd wait for goggle-less technology to sit on the couch.

How's your setup going? Did you get a new videocard? How are you doing yours again? Projectors?
This is kind of ghetto but since my videocard stays cool enough with the side of my case open, I'm rolling with that for now. I have a DLP TV, it's rear projection.

Glasses free is inevitable, but it might take a while for it to become econimically viable for the vast majority of people. 3D readiness costs virtually nothing for the TV makers, so as it becomes more of a standard feature instead of a premium feature (with the associated high markup) there's really no reason not to get one, even if you don't intend to use the 3D.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:31 AM   #20
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

i've always wondered this....is there a difference between the LCD and the LED LCD TVs in terms of having good visibility in a bright room? my laptop is LED backlit but the screen is glossy and it can get pretty bad glare where i plan to have a TV
secol is offline   Reply With Quote