Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Rift

I have been waiting for someone to make a topic but no one has. Is no one going to be playing this game? I played beta a couple of weekends ago and got hooked, cancelled wow and pre-ordered now just waiting for head start on Feb 24th. Played a Marksman/Ranger/Bard going to try a cleric class. Here are some links, check it out.

www.riftgame.com

www.telarapedia.com
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
I have been waiting for someone to make a topic but no one has. Is no one going to be playing this game? I played beta a couple of weekends ago and got hooked, cancelled wow and pre-ordered now just waiting for head start on Feb 24th. Played a Marksman/Ranger/Bard going to try a cleric class. Here are some links, check it out.

www.riftgame.com

www.telarapedia.com
looks like your standard dime-a-dozen fantasy MMO to me. what exactly sets it apart?
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #3
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

bah, I had a whole breakdown typed out and I lost it before it posted. The main thing for me is teh class system
Old 01-17-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
bah, I had a whole breakdown typed out and I lost it before it posted. The main thing for me is teh class system
What about the class system do you like? Like Hemi said, these types of games are becoming all to common. I tried out Aion for a while and man what a dissapointment that was. Just coulnd't get into it. Haven't really enjoyed a MMORPG of this style since NWN. WoW had me interested for a bit but burned out quick.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #5
robocop
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

last mmo I liked was Earth and beyond like 7 years ago. It's all crap nowadays.
robocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #6
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ok, I will type this out again at home this time.

There are 4 classes Warrior, Cleric, Mage, Rogue. Each class can have up to 3 souls (talent lines) and each chooses from a pool of 8. For example I was a Marksman/Ranger/Bard and those are in the Rogue class.

The more points you put in a talent the more attacks/actions are opened ie: I put 12 talent points into bard and that gave me 6 bard spells along with the talents I put points in ( see soul planner http://rift-planner.com )

This gives the freedom for each class to play different ways as you get to save 3 specs and 1 pvp spec per toon which you can switch to anytime as long as you are in a city and out of combat. Next beta i'm rolling a Cleric Justicar which is a melee tank/healer should be fun.

The next is the rifts, a rift is a dimensional tear that can happen anywhere anytime in the game. If a rift is left it will open on its own and grow in size spawning mobs, taking over towns (Making quest givers leave town until its gone. These rifts are similar to Warhammer public quests where the more you participate to close the rift (Stages) the better loot you get. Rifts are soloable as they increase in power with the number of people in the area. Rifts will open on their own over time but can also be opened by players when found.

This game has the usual Dungeons and raids along with PvP warfronts (Battlegrounds)

Its worth looking into and was really fun to play in beta. Like I said the class combinations are my favorite along with the random rift events.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well based on the number of replies it doesn't seem like too many of you are interested but if you are I have some beta codes for the next beta that starts on Tuesday. PM me and I will set you up.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:03 PM   #8
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The class system looks neat, I just don't know if I can devote the time to something like it! I only enjoy pvp in these games anyway, all the other content seems amazingly stale.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #9
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:
Default Rift - New MMO from Trion

Anyone been following RIFT? A new MMO from Trion that launches March 1st (pre order head start is this Thursday, feb 24th)

http://www.riftgame.com/en/

http://forums.riftgame.com/

I played the open beta events and had a lot of fun. It has a lot of similarities to WOW and WAR, but more so I would say to DAoC and EQ. There are RIFT's which are basically like Public Quests from WAR, but imo more polished in the rewards department.

The raiding style is more lax than WOW, the PvP is much better and the class system is very, very diverse.

You chose one of 4 paths, Rogue/Warrior/Cleric/Mage, then within it are specializations, you can use 3 at a time and customize to your hearts desire. Think of WOW's three spec system.. but x 8, per class.

Really cuts down on your re rolls as well.

Anyway check it out here if you haven't yet, I pre ordered and will be playing Thursday. If any CPer is looking for a home I am playing with some old UO buddies in a casual mature gamer guild on a PvE server, so hit me on in here or IM more than welcome to come along for some good times.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Ahh crap I must have mispelled my first search.. anyway we can merge this with my thread please mods?
Old 02-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #11
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Ahh crap I must have mispelled my first search.. anyway we can merge this with my thread please mods?
A few friends and I took Thursday and Friday off to hit up the headstart. We are playing on the PvE server Shatterbone. I'm really enjoying it a nice change of pace from WoW.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:15 PM   #12
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sign me up when someone finally makes a Shadowrun MMO.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:20 PM   #13
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was uninspired by the pvp youtube link. They need to learn from WoW in that pvp is fun because it is pvp. Nobody likes pvp that combines with pve. Griefing people doing an outdoor boss is one thing, and very fun. Attacking cities and things like that are fun. Doing something like a battleground that has pve objectives as well is not.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:03 AM   #14
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I agree.. but the thing I Like about BG's is that I can log in, and be PVPing in about 2 minutes..

There is a huge petition for RvR right now ala DAOC styles, 250 some page thread on the main boards. The devs said in the last interview that if the community pushed for it they would implement it, which makes me think their end game PVP already has it encompassed in some way... they haven't tipped their hand as to the end game content yet but open world objectives that benefit your faction have been hinted at..
Old 02-23-2011, 08:08 AM   #15
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
What about the class system do you like? Like Hemi said, these types of games are becoming all to common. I tried out Aion for a while and man what a dissapointment that was. Just coulnd't get into it. Haven't really enjoyed a MMORPG of this style since NWN. WoW had me interested for a bit but burned out quick.
I found Aion to be an extremely fun game that was ruined by its hype - botters and gold sellers flooded the MMO at the beginning, prior to NCsoft getting their GM's and customer service in gear, and basically ruined the experience for everyone.

I hear now it's an exceptionally well polished game (and it's the 2nd biggest MMO out there after WoW) and well liked, but unfortunately, that first month turned me off of it so badly that I'll probably never go back.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:22 PM   #16
BlAcKNoVa
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Tried the beta out last week with my brother and a friend. It didn't impress me a whole lot. I'll stick with Lineage II for the time being.
BlAcKNoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:59 PM   #17
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

hope you like queue's. I was in and got kicked now a 3 hour wait to get back in
Old 02-25-2011, 03:07 PM   #18
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
I found Aion to be an extremely fun game that was ruined by its hype - botters and gold sellers flooded the MMO at the beginning, prior to NCsoft getting their GM's and customer service in gear, and basically ruined the experience for everyone.

I hear now it's an exceptionally well polished game (and it's the 2nd biggest MMO out there after WoW) and well liked, but unfortunately, that first month turned me off of it so badly that I'll probably never go back.
I couldn't stand how Asian it was. The sounds and cut scences were awful. It was an ok game but like I said, to much Japanimation type stuff for my liking.

I'm going to give Rift a try. Looks like it should be fun over the short term at least.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:44 PM   #19
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am most likely not going to playing this and Steam is giving a "Well Spun Hat" for RIFT as an achievement in TF2, probably through some partnership to try and sell RIFT. (edit: I see RIFT is available via steam so there's the connection)

"The RIFT Well Spun Hat Claim Code is a tool item that allows a player to redeem a "Well Spun Hat" in RIFT. It is given to those who earn the "Riftwalker" achievement. The item has one use, and it is applied by the methods similar a Paint Can or a Mann Co. Supply Crate Key. Players do not have to own RIFT in order to obtain the ticket. The key can be used before RIFT's official release. Users also do not have to be the owner of the Steam account that has the specified RIFT Well Spun Hat Claim Code to consume the reward."

Anyways I have this claim code if anyone wants it (free obviously). Shoot me a pm, first one gets it.

Last edited by Hanni; 02-25-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:48 PM   #20
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I really didn't see why Rift stood apart from Wow... I only played last day of open beta, was a cleric and got to level 8. I took 3 professions which where Exactly the same as wow except I could have three - Herbalism (foraging), skinnning (beast...er or something) and mining. maybe the non gathering professions are less identical but given the materials I gathered I doubt that... I was even collecting cloth and meat I assume for tailoring and cooking professions.

Talent trees, thats similiar - obviously different in the details but the idea is not new really. You used to be able to split your points in wow over 3 tree, they changed that now but pretty much like wow used to be, only you choose from 8 trees. but with only 4 classes instead of 10, its really all the same with a slight twist. Wow learned that balancing 3 trees was tough. so restricted players to one tree. This rift game is going to have soo many under-powered classes and over powered ones it will be ridiculous. plus with each class certain trees will be mandatory do to their power and unbalance. I think end game will be horrible for it. They have made an impossible to balance system.

I just didn't see what made it special. find a quy with a "!" over his head. Go kill 6 of these guys for him or collect 5 of these for him, come back to the guy with a "?" over his head. Repeat. Just do it in a steam-punk/fantasy world with none of the polish wow has.

Ho hum.

Last edited by MaDMaN_26; 02-25-2011 at 03:54 PM.
MaDMaN_26 is offline   Reply With Quote