Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2014, 10:53 AM   #141
Bootsy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Westgarth was fighting no matter what. He didn't wait for something to happen he was dropping his gloves and fighting.

That is staged. Just because Bieksa didn't fight him doesn't change what Westgarth did and went out to do and the NHL wants to stop things like that from happening.
It was not staged, every fight that happens off a faceoff isn't staged.
If you are saying Westgarth was premeditating an attack with whoever was across from him, that could be true.
But seeing that he stopped fighting when he realized Bieksa didn't fight back and didn't continue to pummel him , shows that he was expecting a fight. (as most would when a defenseman comes to the the draw)
If his plan was to fight anyone, why would he stop when he realized he had an unwilling combatant? He obviously thought Bieksa came in to take the draw in order to fight.
If it was staged Bieksa would have already agreed to the fight before the puck dropped.
Bootsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bootsy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2014, 10:59 AM   #142
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was at a party last night, looks like I missed the most entertaining game of the year, perhaps. Darn.

When did Tortorella actually tried storming into the Flames locker room? Between periods or right away? And why only the Flames lineup got a game misconduct out of this?
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:01 AM   #143
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsy View Post
It was not staged, every fight that happens off a faceoff isn't staged.
If you are saying Westgarth was premeditating an attack with whoever was across from him, that could be true.
But seeing that he stopped fighting when he realized Bieksa didn't fight back and didn't continue to pummel him , shows that he was expecting a fight. (as most would when a defenseman comes to the the draw)
If his plan was to fight anyone, why would he stop when he realized he had an unwilling combatant? He obviously thought Bieksa came in to take the draw in order to fight.
If it was staged Bieksa would have already agreed to the fight before the puck dropped.
If you don't like the use of the word staged then fine, it doesn't change that Westgarth went out to fight and that is what the league wants to end. Guys fighting for no reason at all, especially at the start of the game/period.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:02 AM   #144
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Was at a party last night, looks like I missed the most entertaining game of the year, perhaps. Darn.

When did Tortorella actually tried storming into the Flames locker room? Between periods or right away? And why only the Flames lineup got a game misconduct out of this?
Tortarella went to the dressing room between 1st and 2nd periods.

And Canucks and Flames both got equal game misconducts.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2014, 11:05 AM   #145
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would have loved to see Tortorella vs Hartley fight.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:05 AM   #146
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
If you don't like the use of the word staged then fine, it doesn't change that Westgarth went out to fight and that is what the league wants to end. Guys fighting for no reason at all, especially at the start of the game/period.
Westgarth interview up on Flames website. When Bieksa, a defenseman with a fight resume (a spkt picking resume) pulls the centreman out of the draw like that, it usually means one thing, he expects to fight, that's why Westy dropped his gloves. When Bitchska chickened out, Westbarth let him go and didnt throw any punches.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:11 AM   #147
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm kidding. I just saw all the footage. Holy crap.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:12 AM   #148
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Me too, exactly.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:13 AM   #149
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Torts needs to be suspended for 5 games for the locker room incident. Bieksa needs to be suspended for getting involved in the locker room incident after being tossed from the game.

Hartley has a right to put anyone he wants on the ice that's why he fills up a lineup card.

Bieksa taking the faceoff and the Canucks defense being up in the circle tells me that the Canucks were more then willing to throw down.

Bieksa, Burrows, Kassian and Kesler are pretty disgraceful players. I laugh at any thought that Bieksa is any kind of player to look up to, he ducked out the initial fight to go after Smid who he thought was a soft touch, then again he got embarrassed again.

I would love to see the Canucks miss the playoffs that team and their fans deserve a long walk in the darkness.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2014, 11:14 AM   #150
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I absolutely love that Bieksa stepped in to protect the rookie, then wusses out of the fight so that Westgarth and the rookie fight anyways.

Bieksa pretending to be tough yet again.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2014, 11:15 AM   #151
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Funny seeing the comments about how Hartley sent out all our fighters. We could have had O'Brien and Bouma instead of Butler and Jones if that's what Hartley was going for.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2014, 11:16 AM   #152
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Show me answer where anyone has argued that people don't like to see it??

The "anti-fighting" crowd makes a safety argument, not a customer service one. And you're wrong. Safety goes number one due to litigation fears, so there's that

No Im not....otherwise the game would not include fighting as it has for well over 100 years...and thats not even debateable.

That may change in the future, but there really is no appetite among the keepers of the game to eliminate it right now and they are the ones facing "litigation".
Old 01-19-2014, 11:24 AM   #153
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Anyone who says Hartley shouldn't be fined is absolutely right. He can start who he wants.

Anyone who says he won't be is crazy. Ron Rolston and the John Scott incident set a precedent. You get fined for this now.

PS - While Tortorella is wrong, because he could have just started Booth, Richardson and I don't know, Higgins or someone and told them not to drop the gloves, he's right not to put his star players in that situation. PJ Stock remains an idiot. That's just a universal truth. If you find yourself agreeing with him it's time to mute the sound.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:26 AM   #154
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'd rather see Tort vs. Malarchuk
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buzzard For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2014, 11:28 AM   #155
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love it when the anti-fighting crowd gets all upset and says how it's bad fr the game.

Guess what the fastest growing sport and league is? It's MMA and the UFC!

Americans love violence, NHL should be embracing the fighting, not hiding from it.

I really think they should start a new league To go up against the NHL, that has no hitting, no fighting, and no contact whatsoever, just skill and skating, and see which league sells more tickets and gets the bigger tv deal.

Last edited by 868904; 01-19-2014 at 11:32 AM.
868904 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 868904 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2014, 11:31 AM   #156
Chip Hilton
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
As good a place to put it out there as any I suppose but I really like PJ Stock.
PJ "Laughing" Stock is the biggest idiot in the game and intelligent hockey fans either hit the mute button or roll their eyes whenever he speaks. You can see poor Elliotte Friedmann visibily cringe each time PJ opens his yap. Thank God that CBC is losing HNIC if for no other reason that PJ will soon be hitting the unemployment line.

Not sure if it has been discussed, but one of the more amusing side stories in all of this was when Kevin Weekes talked about Torts having had a long leash from the league when he was in NY because the Rangers were an original 6 team in an important American market. However, now that he was in Vancouver, he could expect the league office to come down much harder on him. Essentially, Kevin was stating what everybody already knows, i.e., the league treats teams differently, with "Tier 1" and "Tier 2" teams, to paraphrase Kevin Lowe. It was comical to watch him backpedal once he realized what he had said.
Chip Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:36 AM   #157
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

LMAO at this idiot on NBC blaming Hartley for choosing to not get into a screaming match with Tortorella on the bench.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2014, 11:37 AM   #158
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Hilton View Post
PJ "Laughing" Stock is the biggest idiot in the game and intelligent hockey fans either hit the mute button or roll their eyes whenever he speaks. You can see poor Elliotte Friedmann visibily cringe each time PJ opens his yap. Thank God that CBC is losing HNIC if for no other reason that PJ will soon be hitting the unemployment line.

Not sure if it has been discussed, but one of the more amusing side stories in all of this was when Kevin Weekes talked about Torts having had a long leash from the league when he was in NY because the Rangers were an original 6 team in an important American market. However, now that he was in Vancouver, he could expect the league office to come down much harder on him. Essentially, Kevin was stating what everybody already knows, i.e., the league treats teams differently, with "Tier 1" and "Tier 2" teams, to paraphrase Kevin Lowe. It was comical to watch him backpedal once he realized what he had said.
Hey Canuck fan

No, the league is not out to get your team. and no, Tortorella's punishment is not going to be more severe because he is the Canuck's coach. I'm not even sure that that was the point Weekes was making
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2014, 11:44 AM   #159
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

just saw Roenick vs Milbury, they would have gone on a long time if the NBC guy hadn't stopped it haven't seen an incident which such a split in opinion in a long time
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:45 AM   #160
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Line brawl was awesome. Torts reaction was awesome cause it was so entertaining. Good stuff all around.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote