Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-18-2017, 09:56 PM   #201
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrebmi View Post
Strange Brew is one of my favorite posters on this forum. That said yeah, he was pretty asinine on this one
Pepsi calling it a "a horror" is certainly over the top and what triggered the response however unwarranted. Weirdly enough it is this snarkiness and personalities that makes CP my preferred forum. When they bicker with each other it is mildly amusing. When they turn on some troll united it is a thing of beauty.
When you read these two and the rest turn on an Oil or Nuck Troll or other know nothing - it is so much fun to read.
I agree my comment was asinine. Sometimes you need to know when to stay off the keyboard and I should have let Pepsi's post stand on its own.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 10:04 PM   #202
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:09 PM   #203
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrebmi View Post
Strange Brew is one of my favorite posters on this forum. That said yeah, he was pretty asinine on this one
Pepsi calling it a "a horror" is certainly over the top and what triggered the response however unwarranted. Weirdly enough it is this snarkiness and personalities that makes CP my preferred forum. When they bicker with each other it is mildly amusing. When they turn on some troll united it is a thing of beauty.
When you read these two and the rest turn on an Oil or Nuck Troll or other know nothing - it is so much fun to read.
Not to mention the fact his suggestion was crazy, as it'll never happen, but not confusing. I could imagine a pretty straightforward scenario for an annual parity draft.

Model it on the expansion draft but for all non playoff teams. The 15 that missed could get a choice of a player from any playoff team's roster. Same type of protection lists for playoff teams. For picking teams, they go in same as regular draft order. If they pick a player from a playoff team, they give up their first round pick. Only lasts for first round. Teams losing a player get a compensation pick at the end of the first round. Picks given up would always equal out compensatory picks keeping round 1 the same number of picks total.

Pepsifree can be bewildered by the unlikelihood, but I have no idea why he's confused by the very concept.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:45 AM   #204
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't imagine Vegas selecting Kulak. If he is selected, Vegas will have to keep him up in the NHL, and judging by the available D available in this draft, I wouldn't be so sure about it. They could try and sneak him down through waivers, but he may get picked off by a team that has had an injury during preseason, not to mention Calgary might just pick him back up (depending on who else they acquire between now and the start of the season). I do think he is the best asset available, but lucky for Calgary there are better assets available that push him out from the top 6 (or maybe even top 8 for that matter, if Vegas chooses to carry 8 defencemen).

Shinkaruk seems like the most likely prospect to get picked-off as there may be a reasonable chance he finds a spot somewhere in the top 9. I still think it will end up being Stajan, as he does provide some leadership and ability to shelter other players, while providing Vegas with a tradeable asset at the deadline (expiring contract, and one that sees him making less real dollars than his cap hit).

Brouwer is a hope, but is not THAT far-fetched. I guess it all depends on how much McPhee likes him. I wouldn't put money on him though.

Prospects that don't require waivers should probably be high on Vegas' draft list. Jets, Flyers, Arizona, and even Calgary still after the Smith deal could potentially be looking at goalies, so it wouldn't surprise me if some of these teams are working on making a deal with Vegas to acquire some of the available young goalies.

Vegas is going to be pretty decent right off the bat, and with a lot of bullets in the next 2 drafts I would say. They could end up in the playoffs in just a few seasons if they make the most out of their picks.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:24 AM   #205
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Smith from floridia is the type of winger the flames need to somehow work a deal with vegas on.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:28 AM   #206
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like we might see a Gillies for Grubauer trade.

Gives the Knights a goalie they can waive and put on the farm, and for the Flames gives them a solid backup with the potential to be a starter.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 08:19 AM   #207
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

John Shannon has said he thinks there are around 9 side deals on the table for the VGK. I'd imagine that's a split between the 'don't pick our player' and the 'we'll give you x for that teams player' types.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:51 AM   #208
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.nhl.com/news/vegas-gener...am/c-289977072

Interesting article on McPhee's strategy going into the draft.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:20 PM   #209
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Who do you take from Minnesota?
Dumba, the 22 year old D-man with 1 year remaining at $2.55 or:
Eric Staal, the 32 year old center with 2 years remaining at $3.5
wretched34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:25 PM   #210
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dumba all day long. He's an RFA after that one season, long term asset already playing 20 minutes a night at 22 years old on a pretty good team.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 01:29 PM   #211
Hoop27
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Dumba probably fits into the mold of a young player that can grow with the team for the next 5+ years.

Now if Minnesota offers you a high pick or two to not take him you could certainly take Staal who would help them out of the get and would likely be a valuable trade asset.
Hoop27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:17 PM   #212
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

There has been lively discussion all day on Vancouver sports radio whether the Canucks should send a draft pick to Vegas to ensure that the Knights do not select Brendan Gauce. How do you know that your favourite hockey team is presently terrible and with a terrible outlook? When you are stricken by the idea of losing 0-goals-in-75-NHL-games-over-two-seasons Brendan Gauce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 06-19-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:28 PM   #213
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
There has been lively discussion all day on Vancouver sports radio whether the Canucks should send a draft pick to Vegas to ensure that the Knights do not select Brendan Gauce. How do you know that your favourite hockey team is presently terrible and with a terrible outlook? When you are stricken by the idea of losing 0-goals-in-75-NHL-games-over-two-seasons Brendan Gauce.
I think its understandable. They're a rebuilding team and potentially about to lose a young centre that was supposed to be part of the rebuild. This is after they dealt another young centre last year (McCann) and failed to get a centre last draft.

Pretty sure our fanbase would be as worried in the same situation, I think there's plenty of evidence in our reactions to various news (losing Morgan on waivers par example.)
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:33 PM   #214
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I know it would unlikely happen, but I wonder if they could have had the Sedins waive their NMC, knowing Vegas wouldn't likely pick (only) one. Vancouver protects an extra asset or two.
Long day at work, I know...
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:42 PM   #215
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched34 View Post
Who do you take from Minnesota?
Dumba, the 22 year old D-man with 1 year remaining at $2.55 or:
Eric Staal, the 32 year old center with 2 years remaining at $3.5
Staal would but much more useful to them for this upcoming season, but to not take the young RFA is just bad asset management.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:59 PM   #216
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This has probably been asked, but:

If Brian Elliott is selected by Vegas in the expansion draft, do the Flames owe the Blues that conditional 3rd rounder?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:02 PM   #217
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post

If Brian Elliott is selected by Vegas in the expansion draft, do the Flames owe the Blues that conditional 3rd rounder?
I would guess no because his rights haven't been traded. I'd wait until someone who had a clue responds too. Also, we don't have a third in the next two so I'd assume brad knew what he was doing.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:12 AM   #218
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Hey, the Leafs protected Leivo ? Huh. Happily surprised. That guy puts up a lot of points whenever he is called up but for some reason they would never let him stay with the Leafs. If they are protecting him I guess that means they actually plan on playing him next year.
Don't like how they protected Matt Martin though. That's stupid AF. Waste of a protection spot.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:52 AM   #219
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post

They won't select him, they get an advanced window to negotiate with UFA's. If they sign a UFA in that window then that counts as their expansion pick. I doubt that would trigger us sending a pick to the Blues.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 03:28 AM   #220
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

McKenzie went on a tweet spree including a lot of information about the ED and as well as potential McPhee move's. This one caught me eye.

Bob McKenzie‏ Verified account
@TSNBobMcKenzie
Let's start with ANA. The belief is VGK will claim Clayton Stoner, pass on Manson/Vatanen and, in return for all that, get Shea Theodore.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote