Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 06:06 PM   #821
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
Yeah, I would definitely be curious about what Grigorenko might be able to do on a different team. It seemed like he never really saw eye to eye with coaching & management, which could have really held him back.
Yes, there were rumors of an attitude problem stretching back into Juniors, so that's probably on him, but Roy cannot have been easy to play under, and sometimes guys just need to learn the lesson the hard way and grow up.
Maybe Grigorenko is right to disagree with their coaching and management.

I mean, the Kings literally suggested that Iginla deserves an award for putting up with the Avs for as long as he did without complaining. Let the implications sink for a while.

I'm guessing the Avs are a complete s***show behind the scenes.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:07 PM   #822
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Grigorenko please. Then move Bennett to the wing.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:09 PM   #823
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Mikhail Grigorenko had 10 goals on a horrible team last year. I would take him, adds some depth and size. Can he play RW?
The Following User Says Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 06:10 PM   #824
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Grigorenko please. Then move Bennett to the wing.
This is so damn illogical.

1st year centre fills the 3rd line centre position on a playoff team Vs. a cast off from the worst team in the league.

...yeah, better trust Grigorenko and move Bennett over.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 06:11 PM   #825
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Mikhail Grigorenko had 10 goals on a horrible team last year. I would take him, adds some depth and size. Can he play RW?
Hes a left hand shot and Russian so chances are high he can play RW.

The thing with the Flames organization is that I don't think they like Russian players.
The Following User Says Thank You to robaur For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 06:56 PM   #826
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting. I would take grigorenko over chaisson and versteeg, and then leave one spot for one of our own kids to fight over.

There is a lot of love for versteeg here, but his first half was fantastic and he fell to earth in the second a bit.

Also, both Janko and Bennett are going to be centres on this team. Everyone needs to stop trying to move them to the wing. Janko is already better defensively and at faceoffs than Bennett, and Bennetts ceiling is very high at centre.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:02 PM   #827
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Darren Dreger‏ @DarrenDreger
Im told a dozen teams have reached out to Kris Versteeg. Calgary remains in discussion to bring back the veteran forward.

a dozen teams huh? Not good news.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:05 PM   #828
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
There is a lot of love for versteeg here, but his first half was fantastic and he fell to earth in the second a bit.
He was one of our best forwards in the playoffs, which matters a lot.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 07:09 PM   #829
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Im told a dozen teams have reached out to Kris Versteeg. Calgary remains in discussion to bring back the veteran forward.

Amazing how a guy goes from signing a contract to the swiss league to having 12 teams after him.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:10 PM   #830
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post

Eh that kinda sucks, he was really good in the playoffs as well. Lots of spots could be open for the young guys this year.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:10 PM   #831
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

And I'm sure most of them want Versteeg for the money he made last year.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:19 PM   #832
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Versteeg was excellent for the Flames, QB'd the resurgent PP and stirred the drink on his line for the most part. Calgary needs more guys with his skill set, very creative with the puck and can think the game at a high level. I'll be sad if he's not back, especially knowing how badly he wanted to return.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 07:20 PM   #833
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Also, both Janko and Bennett are going to be centres on this team. Everyone needs to stop trying to move them to the wing. Janko is already better defensively and at faceoffs than Bennett, and Bennetts ceiling is very high at centre.
There's only 1 Gaudreau to go around....and for the foreseeable future, he's going to be lining up beside Monahan.

How is this fair to our #4 overall pick in Sam Bennett (ranked #1 by Central Scouting) who supposedly has the highest ceiling out of all our young stars.

Just playing devils advocate for argument's sake. This is where what is best for the team starts to interfere with what is best for the players future career and earning potential.

Bennett will never realize his potential playing 3rd line minutes with linemates like Lazar, Brouwer, Ferland, Bouma, Versteeg etc.

It's not fair to either Monahan or Bennett to have to play with those linemates so what do you do? You move one to the wing.

Playing Bennett with Gaudreau and maybe he takes off and realizes his potential and lands a big payday.....but then Monahan's production suffers...

I've always been intrigued by this. I understand the onus is on Bennett to prove that he deserves to be playing with Gaudreau and getting top line minutes and top line powerplay but I don't know how he does that playing with inferior talent/opportunity.

EDIT:

maybe... Gaudreau-Monahan and Tkachuk-Bennett ?

Powerplay: Tkachuk-Monahan-Bennett / Gaudreau-Hamilton ?

Last edited by robaur; 06-26-2017 at 07:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to robaur For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 07:48 PM   #834
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames brass really wanted Versteeg back and we lose him in free agency then I'd assume he wanted more than we were willing to pay. If he signs elsewhere for reasonable dollars you have to figure he wasn't in the long term plans or there is something behind the scenes that we don't know about. Either way I'd rather lose him than overpay for another aging UFA so I'm not going to lose any sleep.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:10 PM   #835
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see the top pairing remaining the same, backlund-frolik second, and bennett-tkachuk third, with Janko learning the trade on the fourth, with stajan riding shotgun for veteran support.

That would be quite a bit of talent for Bennett to play with, in Tkachuk and perhaps Lazar. And it would overwhelm almost all other third lines in the league in terms of matchups.

Anyway, with those pairs in mind, it kind of eludes to my mindset of being pretty free with letting AHL players fill out the other spots.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:13 PM   #836
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
This is so damn illogical.

1st year centre fills the 3rd line centre position on a playoff team Vs. a cast off from the worst team in the league.

...yeah, better trust Grigorenko and move Bennett over.
It's not illogical at all if you think about it.

If you play a forward on the 3rd and 4th lines continuously, you end up developing a 3rd/4th liner. Grigorenko is a 3rd line center. Bennett's ceiling is much higher, but our top 2 center positions are spoken for, for the foreseeable future. Bennett is good on the wing and can arguably contribute more there than languishing behind Monahan, Backlund and possibly Jankowski if that goes well.

There are a disproportionate number of forwards drafted as centers and many eventually move to the wing. The math simply demands it. Bennett played on the wing in junior up until his draft year, and even after he became a full time center for the Fronts, when you watch the highlights, he generated a lot of his offense from driving up on the wing.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 06-26-2017 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:17 PM   #837
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Don't think it needs it's own thread.

Isabelle Khurshudyan‏@ikhurshudyan
.@TSNBobMcKenzie is reporting that Brett Connolly has re-signed with the Capitals. Two years, $1.5 million AAV.
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 10:32 PM   #838
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

As per Ryan Leslie - Jun 27

Versteeg via text: understands it's a business for both sides, but wants & hopes to be back in Cgy.

(sorry, dont know how to show a tweet on here)

Last edited by RyZ; 06-26-2017 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:53 PM   #839
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If the window starts next year - I would think the Flames should want Kris Versteeg in the lineup. He knows it.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:00 PM   #840
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
And I'm sure most of them want Versteeg for the money he made last year.
I think most want him for the draft pick in March.
Closed Thread