Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2017, 12:59 PM   #21
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Slightly above average goalie"

What?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:00 PM   #22
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullr View Post
Remind me again why the Flames would want to spend top dollar for a slightly above average goalie for long term. Especially considering when we have two goalie prospects who will be seeing increasing ice time over the next 2-3 years. Bishop is a good option for lots of teams, I hope he lands a good contract. Just not with Calgary.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Because statistically he's one of the best, and can handle a heavy workload without needing a 1B. Vezina nomination I think puts him a little higher than "Slightly above average"
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:01 PM   #23
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guuar View Post
FYI if the ask was 6y/6m from Bishop's agent Treliving takes the trade without thinking twice. The agreed trade was;

To Calgary; Ben Bishop & Jonathan Drouin

To TampaBay; 2016 1st Round Draft Pick
lol k
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 01:02 PM   #24
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well there is a risk with Bishop. Was his bad season a result of the goalie equipment changes, or a bad Tampa team?
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 01:03 PM   #25
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
FYI if the ask was 6y/6m from Bishop's agent Treliving takes the trade without thinking twice. The agreed trade was;

That pick ended up being Matthew Tkachuk of course. This was the deal that was agreed to prior to the start of the draft. Treliving had briefly spoken to Bishop's agent to make sure;

a) Ben Bishop would be willing to play for the Calgary Flames.
b) Ben Bishop would be willing to take a max 6.750m/year deal.

Bishop didn't care where he played so long as they paid him what they thought he deserved. If you look at comparables for Bishop the other goalies were all making 5.5m to 6.5m as RFA goalies.

Vezina quality goalie is absolutely going to get 6.5m to 7.5m as a UFA. If anything the rumors last year were 7x7 for the most part. All Treliving was told was that Bishop wanted between 45m and 50m.

Think about it. IT's the only contract that Bishop is ever getting. Up until then all he had was RFA deals that pushed him as a backup making the league minimum. Even Tampa Bay only offered him a 2.6M/year deal as an RFA.

If Calgary won't give him 6.5M then Dallas certainly will.
Insert Ron burgundy "I don't believe you" gif.
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:03 PM   #26
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Well there is a risk with Bishop. Was his bad season a result of the goalie equipment changes, or a bad Tampa team?
The only equipment that changed this year was the pants, and that was halfway through the year. To me, it was just a bad year for Tampa.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:10 PM   #27
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Hopefully Tre knows he has the inside track and will wait it out.
What would give him an inside track over everyone else interested in Bishop? Could be that the price is higher for the Flames due to him now being in the same division.
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:12 PM   #28
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

That pick ended up being Matthew Tkachuk of course. This was the deal that was agreed to prior to the start of the draft. Treliving had briefly spoken to Bishop's agent to make sure;

Bishop didn't care where he played so long as they paid him what they thought he deserved. If you look at comparables for Bishop the other goalies were all making 5.5m to 6.5m as RFA goalies.

Vezina quality goalie is absolutely going to get 6.5m to 7.5m as a UFA. If anything the rumors last year were 7x7 for the most part. All Treliving was told was that Bishop wanted between 45m and 50m.

Think about it. IT's the only contract that Bishop is ever getting. Up until then all he had was RFA deals that pushed him as a backup making the league minimum. Even Tampa Bay only offered him a 2.6M/year deal as an RFA.

Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:16 PM   #29
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone on HF claimed the deal was Backlund + 2 2nds for Bishop. The Flames were talking to the Jackets and Oilers about moving up to the top 3 the same time they were supposedly going to trade the pick for Bishop and Drouin.

I honestly think this new poster is completely full of crap but if the draft went as it should and the Canucks took Tkachuk I would have been all for Calgary taking the Bishop/Drouin deal trade that was mentioned in this thread
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:16 PM   #30
guuar
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
If you're going to claim some inside knowledge, can you at least confirm it with a mod?
I can also tell you my cousin nearly signed with the Calgary Flames in 2016. He ended up taking less money from Buffalo after it became apparent he didn't have the market he thought he did. My cousin has played for Nashville, Toronto and Buffalo.

The information I get comes from actual NHL hockey players. While the information isn't 100% guaranteed. It's numbers that NHL players and player agents agree upon.

Bishop is not a 6x6 goalie. Comparables.

Rask 7.0M
Bobrovsky 7.45M
Lundqvist 8.5M
Quick 7.0M
Rinne 7.0M
MAF 5.75M
Holtby 6.1M
Price 6.5M
Varlamov 5.9M
Crawford 6.0M

Look at that list. Do you think Bishop is taking MAF or Varlamov money? Holtby is only at 6.1M because he's yet to hit UFA. All these goalies' salary's went way up when they hit the UFA years.

If the deal was 6x6 then Ben Bishop would have been a Calgary Flames player last year. The ask was 7x7 which even then is still reasonable. The problem is 7x7 and you are surrendering #6 overall which was Matthew Tkachuk.

There are two clear tiers of goalies in the NHL. The top goalies are all in that 7M+ range. Then you have #1 goalies which are still good but are likely guys that aren't winning you a Stanley up. See Dubynk, Elliot, Halak, Mason, etc.

These guys might do you good in the regular season and their numbers aren't going to be substantially worse than Bishop, Price, Rask, ETC however they aren't the goalies that can win you games on their own. We've seen what Rinne can do this year alone. Is it worth saving 1-2M on a goalie ?

6x6 is an absolute joke. These players don't care if they get less money when UFA hits. They really don't. They want their opportunity to be able to get what they think they are worth. If it doesn't happen then it doesn't happen. My cousin turned down offers in his contract year that were way higher than the ended up settling for. It likely cost him at least 3-5M. Glencross is another great example. The guy could have re-signed with Calgary for a really fair amount. Instead he held out and refused in his final year in Calgary and ended up getting nothing and was forced to retire.

There is just no way 6x6 is remotely realistic. I am going to assume the 6x6 was what Treliving told Bishop's Agent that he was comfortable offering and paying him. In the current cap era paying more than 8M total for your two goalies is a stupid mistake no GM should make.
guuar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guuar For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 01:17 PM   #31
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
He won't get more than Darling. If anything it is either a 3rd or possible a 4th/5th. Darling gets you a 3rd because his contract demands are going to be between 4m and 5m.

Last year Bishops agent was asking for 6y/8m or 7y/7m or 8y/6m. Idea is he was getting paid the same amount of money for what they are assuming is his final contract. Just a matter of what Calgary was comfortable paying for the annual cap hit.

The only advantage you get by acquiring his rights is the ability to do an 8 year contract.

Even with the down year he is not taking less than 6M.

I can see Treliving doing a 6y/40m contract.

There is no need for Bishop to take less than 6M a year. There are a few teams that would be in on signing him. When Treliving spoke with Bishop's agent last year all that was asked was how willing Bishop was to play in Calgary and what would Bishop consider accepting as a new contract.

I'm telling you right now the ask was 45-50M total. Bishop's agent was firm that Bishop giving up his only opportunity at free agency would cost any team a premium for his rights.

You need to realize prior to the 2016-2017 season Ben Bishop has made #### all compared to similarly aged goalies. At the time of the trade discussion Bishop had only made 4.6m/2yr contract. Before that it was all league minimum.

The guy is going to want to cash in. It's his one and only opportunity to do so.

If people would read what I am writing they would instantly agree that this is the same reason why Treliving was and still is willing to give us a massive amount of assets to acquire Matt Murray.
Gaudreauovertime? or crazy Penguins fan? Maybe both
Lumby Lager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lumby Lager For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 01:17 PM   #32
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
What would give him an inside track over everyone else interested in Bishop? Could be that the price is higher for the Flames due to him now being in the same division.
Well he was already given permission to talk to his agent last year by Yzerman, for one. I don't know that Nill or Hextall were ever afforded that opportunity.

So if that was the case, he'd already know his ask, and also his level of desire to come to Calgary, plus Calgary's obvious desire to have him come there.

Of all the teams that could really possibly be in on him, the Flames are the only one with ZERO NHL goalies signed for next season, and really there is no immediate threat to him from within either. People around here like to talk about Gillies or Parsons being close, but that's a very optimistic viewpoint IMO.

Also, Calgary has the above things combined with already being a playoff team with a very young core, that the biggest piece missing is a true #1 goaltender.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 05-01-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:17 PM   #33
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You have climbed the ranks quickly to have the most annoying posts.

Please stop. Long time users have seen this "I'm an expert" schtick in the past from various users on here. You are not impressing anyone.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dustygoon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 01:19 PM   #34
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have it on good authority that LA is going to trade Bishop to the Flames for a 5th round pick. Calgary is then going to flip Bishop to the Stars for the third overall pick. Bishop will then test free agency and sign a 3x3 deal with the Flames.

The Flames will end up getting the third overall pick, Bishop on a great contract and it'll only cost a 5th round pick.

Deals like this happen all the time if you become the GM of more than one team in franchise mode.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:19 PM   #35
Ullr
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Bishop played for the Lightning when the team was at its best and went to the Cup finals. I dont remember Bishop stealing wins for the team. Once he was traded to the Kings this year he wasn't able to get the Kings wins. Especially when the team needed him to steal the wins.
Yeah, he's slightly above average.

On a side note, I'd probably offer Fleury a 3 year deal 5mil AAV; 6mil for years 1+2 and then 3mil for year 3. That way if Gillies/Parsons develop sooner than expected (or if Fleury ####s the bed), you can just buy out the rest of his contract.

Ullr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:20 PM   #36
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

guuar = Eklund's 14 year old son?
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:22 PM   #37
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bishop played for the Lightning when the team was at its best and went to the Cup finals. I dont remember Bishop stealing wins for the team. Once he was traded to the Kings this year he wasn't able to get the Kings wins. Especially when the team needed him to steal the wins.

On a side note, I'd probably offer Fleury a 3 year deal 5mil AAV; 6mil for years 1+2 and then 3mil for year 3. That way if Gillies/Parsons develop sooner than expected (or if Fleury ####s the bed), you can just buy out the rest of his contract.

Slightly above average goalies don't get nominated for the Vezina 2/3 years. He had an off year. Show me a top level NHL goalie that hasn't.

Also, MAF isn't a free agent, so you can't offer him your 3 year deal. You actually have to give up assets to acquire him, and then complete the remainder of his current contract.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:25 PM   #38
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

A few things that I find wrong with this post.

1- Bishop certainly stole games for Tampa

2- Bishop can't score goals which is what the Kings needed the most

3- Fleury has 2 years left on his current contract so no need to make an offer just need to make a trade with the Pens
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:25 PM   #39
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumby Lager View Post
Gaudreauovertime? or crazy Penguins fan? Maybe both
He's Cody Franson's cousin.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:27 PM   #40
guuar
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Above average goalie? Bishop is easily a Top 6 goalie in the NHL.

1. Price.
2. Schneider.
3. Quick.
4. Bishop.
5. Rask.
6. Rinne.

He is a clear upgrade over most teams' #1 goalie right now.

Teams that would have reasonable interest in signing Ben Bishop.

1. Calgary.
2. Dallas.
3. Philadelphia.
4. New York Islanders.
5. Carolina Hurricanes.
6. Buffalo Sabers.
7. Winnipeg.
8. Vancouver.

That is 25% of the teams in the NHL that currently have no signed #1 goalie. Calgary, Dallas and Philadelphia make the most sense.

If I were Los Angeles I would be willing to give Ben Bishop's rights to Philadelphia for FREE. Who cares if you get a 3rd round pick back. If you are the Los Angeles Kings you DO NOT want Calgary getting Bishop.

Calgary's realistic options after Bishop are not very good. MAF, Bernier, Elliot, ETC we are likely fighting for a Wild Car spot again.
guuar is offline   Reply With Quote