Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 11:09 AM   #201
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
I hate doing these but Brodie for Kucherov? Is that an even trade?
The Flames make that trade in a heartbeat IMO.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 11:11 AM   #202
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does Tampa have any good depth forwards they could part with for Wideman? As I see it now the Flames have 6 Forwards that are a lock for protection in the expansion draft (Monahan, Gaudreau, Bennett, Backlund, Frolik, Brouwer) with the 7th spot up for debate but likely Ferland's. If we can get an upgrade on Ferland for Wideman I say do it and risk losing Ferland.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:17 AM   #203
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kucherov on the right side of Gaudreau and Monahan? Yes please. Yes please. Yes please.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:20 AM   #204
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 11:22 AM   #205
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
I hate doing these but Brodie for Kucherov? Is that an even trade?
Nope, why would Tampa do that. Kucherov is one of the best players in the NHL.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:36 AM   #206
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Neither one of them is being moved.

Full stop.
A bit of a fanboy response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
He won't be traded. If he is then I hope we get a Trouba like player in return. Flames have a great top 3 D and a pathetic bottom 3
"He WONT be traded... but if he is.. " quoted for such certainty

And Engalland is far from pathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Giordano would be the one moved, not Brodie.
Lol, we would trade the guy who is our captain and has a NMC before we trade the guy who has been bounced around a bit in the d-corps and having a dumpster fire of a season and is severely handcufffed by this current system in terms of play style and is unable to contribute like he was able to last year because he is having troubles playing with anyone but.. as you say, the guy who would be traded first...

Brodie has struggled this year and is incredible trade bait because of age and contract. Not to mention he plays a position where the Flames have the MOST depth.

To not look at deals and potential returns to fill out biggest need (RW) would be irresponsible.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:41 AM   #207
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Brodie has struggled this year and is incredible trade bait because of age and contract. Not to mention he plays a position where the Flames have the MOST depth.

To not look at deals and potential returns to fill out biggest need (RW) would be irresponsible.
Good lord.

We don't have depth on defense. Past our top 3, it's currently widely viewed as a hole / area of concern.

If you are referring to our top 3 D, we're viewed as stable there because of Brodie. Deal him, and we have one of the worst blue-lines in the league.

You've put forth a lot of terrible ideas / suggestions in the past, but this is up there with the worst yet.

Broide isn't going anywhere, and the suggestion it's some kind of astute idea is mind boggling.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 11:44 AM   #208
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
The Flames make that trade in a heartbeat IMO.
Probably but man this defense group would look pretty bad. Would rather move Gio (due to his age and contract) if it was going to be one of the top 3. This team badly needs one or two of their defensive prospects in the AHL to pan out in the next year or two.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:14 PM   #209
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A bit of a fanboy response

"He WONT be traded... but if he is.. " quoted for such certainty

And Engalland is far from pathetic.

Lol, we would trade the guy who is our captain and has a NMC before we trade the guy who has been bounced around a bit in the d-corps and having a dumpster fire of a season and is severely handcufffed by this current system in terms of play style and is unable to contribute like he was able to last year because he is having troubles playing with anyone but.. as you say, the guy who would be traded first...

We trade Brodie our biggest need goes from RW to top 4 D incredibly fast. I would say our most tradeable asset on the roster right now is not Brodie but Backlund. He is having a hell of a season with 1.5 years left on his extremely cap friendly deal. The Flames have Monahan, Bennett and Stajan with Jankowski in the minors. The Flames have NO ONE ready to fill Brodie's skates if we move him. Engellend is a fine #6 but a poor #5 and an awful #4. Wideman sucks as a #4 so no way he can be a #3.

We trade Brodie for a RW our D looks worse than the Oilers and similar to the Avs. If we are going to move Brodie a Dman needs to be the return. The Flames can move Backlund to address other areas of need
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 12:22 PM   #210
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we just not trade Backlund or Brodie
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 12:27 PM   #211
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe Bennett is the most tradeable assset
Old 01-10-2017, 12:46 PM   #212
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Not to mention he plays a position where the Flames have the MOST depth.

Good lord sir, are you day drunk?

Classic example of fan base overvaluing their own assets/prospects. The flames have 3 quality top 4 dmen, one defence man they can't get rid of (wideman), 2-3 who are replacement level NHLers, and a bunch of question marks.

Until Anderson, Kylington, Hickey, Fox etc can prove they are even competent NHLers we shouldn't assume anything. I wouldn't consider any of them blue chip, or can't miss prospects and nor have I heard anyone outside of Calgary indicate otherwise. None of these guys are sure things.

Last edited by TOfan; 01-10-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:52 PM   #213
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We are already 1 top 4 defenseman short of having a full top 4. Trading Brodie makes zero sense unless you are getting a younger top 4 defenseman with upside.

We need to be looking to add to the top 4 not subtract from the top 4.

I would say a RHS top 4 defenseman is our biggest need, more so than a top line RW. I would take a good LHS top 4 defenseman over a RW at the moment.

Wingers are a dime a dozen in this league, and unless they are elite like Gaudreau, they don't provide as much impact to your team as a center, defenseman or goalie.

To trade Brodie for winger is like filling one small hole in the lineup but creating an even bigger hole in the lineup.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JTech780 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 01:04 PM   #214
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Exactly what is Brodie providing that Kulak, and or Jokipakka aren't ATM?

This has nothing to do with his last game, but the entire season.

Brodie does not leave a crater of a hole because there are replacements in the short term and we have an abundance of players who have the potential to as good as Brodie is playing now.

Brodie last season doesn't get traded. Completely agree. But Brodie this season is replaceable within the system. I strongly believe that. Perhaps the player isn't as flashy but honestly, that flash is what's getting Brodie in trouble. That and his refusal to continue skating while making an outlet pass.

I don't know what shifts you guys are seeing that make Brodie a player that you don't trade no matter what, but I don't see it.

As for Backlund, He's our best Center, he is not more of a tradeable asset as that leaves the Flames in rough shape down the middle with Bennett slowing in his progression the last few weeks.

Long term, Kylington, Andersson, Wotherspoon slide into 6/7 roles while Kulak and Jokipakka shore up the 2nd and 3rd LD.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:05 PM   #215
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
We trade Brodie our biggest need goes from RW to top 4 D incredibly fast. I would say our most tradeable asset on the roster right now is not Brodie but Backlund. He is having a hell of a season with 1.5 years left on his extremely cap friendly deal. The Flames have Monahan, Bennett and Stajan with Jankowski in the minors. The Flames have NO ONE ready to fill Brodie's skates if we move him. Engellend is a fine #6 but a poor #5 and an awful #4. Wideman sucks as a #4 so no way he can be a #3.

We trade Brodie for a RW our D looks worse than the Oilers and similar to the Avs. If we are going to move Brodie a Dman needs to be the return. The Flames can move Backlund to address other areas of need
Totally agree with this thinking IF we're looking to trade a piece of our roster. Backlund will be wanting much more money than a 3C in our long term plans is worth (behind Monahan, Bennett). His value is at an all-time high and he'd be a perfect addition to a playoff team. He'd fetch great value this year if our season starts to tank and playoff odds are looking slim...
Old 01-10-2017, 01:05 PM   #216
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Maybe Bennett is the most tradeable assset
I still think it's way too soon to trade Bennett, but today you're right. Bennett is the most tradeable asset. Backlund and Monahan are the #1 and #2 centres. Gaudreau and Tkachuk are the #1 and #2 LWers.

If Jankowski can continue to develop like he is, then he can service the 3rd line C in a sheltered role next year.

Bennett should only be traded if a top 6 RWer is added who also has a long future in the NHL. Maybe someone like Anthony Mantha?
Old 01-10-2017, 01:06 PM   #217
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 01:06 PM   #218
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yikes, Brodie has been terribad but everything he's ever done in his career suggests he will bounce back. He definitely isn't replaceable by anyone in the system at the moment.

Add to the fact his family is dealing with a serious issue and I'd say he should get a longer leash.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:09 PM   #219
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everyone should be in play. Always. I doubt the team is "putting anyone on the block" but they should consider every option possible. I agree they shouldn't trade Brodie but if Tampa offers Kucherov, you make the deal.

Right now the team's biggest 2 holes are top line RW and #4 defender so they have to consider what it would take to fill those holes and which is more important. Trading Brodie would make the 2 biggest holes #3 and #4 defenders but maybe the return would be worth it. Either way, right now the team isn't good enough so management has to decide what it'll take to fill those holes and who is expandable.

It's just frustrating when people on here say "trading player x would be the biggest mistake ever" Just come out and say "I'd hate for the team to trade "player x" because he's my favorite! I'm all for trading anyone on the team if it makes the team better.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:12 PM   #220
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Exactly what is Brodie providing that Kulak, and or Jokipakka aren't ATM?

This has nothing to do with his last game, but the entire season.

Brodie does not leave a crater of a hole because there are replacements in the short term and we have an abundance of players who have the potential to as good as Brodie is playing now.

Brodie last season doesn't get traded. Completely agree. But Brodie this season is replaceable within the system. I strongly believe that. Perhaps the player isn't as flashy but honestly, that flash is what's getting Brodie in trouble. That and his refusal to continue skating while making an outlet pass.

I don't know what shifts you guys are seeing that make Brodie a player that you don't trade no matter what, but I don't see it.

As for Backlund, He's our best Center, he is not more of a tradeable asset as that leaves the Flames in rough shape down the middle with Bennett slowing in his progression the last few weeks.

Long term, Kylington, Andersson, Wotherspoon slide into 6/7 roles while Kulak and Jokipakka shore up the 2nd and 3rd LD.
you have got to be kidding