Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who does Vegas take?
Troy Brouwer 189 35.73%
Alex Chiasson (RFA) 24 4.54%
Matt Stajan 58 10.96%
Lance Bouma 25 4.73%
Frederik Hamilton 4 0.76%
Linden Vey 2 0.38%
Hunter Shinkaruk 107 20.23%
Emile Poirier 9 1.70%
Matt Bartowski 17 3.21%
Brett Kulak 75 14.18%
Ty Wotherspoon 13 2.46%
Ryan Culk 0 0%
Tom McCollumm 0 0%
A Flames UFA 6 1.13%
Voters: 529. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2017, 10:53 PM   #181
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have been thinking about it for a bit now.....just thought I would post it. At least Jiri isn't a dou#$e about it.
wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:26 PM   #182
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
Nice, please insult more.....makes you look cool.
You were suggesting the Flames unforcedly give away their locked-down-to-term 23 year old leading scorer (in only 72 games) and probably leading jersey seller to a divisional opponent. It's just a mindless position to have. If you think I was "######y" to point out the lack of common sense, fine, I am a ######.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2017, 11:44 PM   #183
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Suggest giving up our best and highest scoring forward for free to our new division rivals and then be shocked and appalled at the backlash that you receive.

Alrighty then.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 05-05-2017, 12:00 AM   #184
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Heard Larry Brooks on NHL radio the other day.
We all know he is full of ####, but for whatever it's worth he was saying that the Knights will be targeting several veteran players on short term deals. If true, might make Stajan a more likely candidate than Brouwer.
Short term could be anything from 1-3 years, so Brouwer could still fit into that.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:12 AM   #185
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
They can hit the salary floor adding a few bad contracts like Dustin Brown and Marc Staal without having to take press box fillers like Brouwer. There will also be good, well-paid players exposed by necessity - guys like Sami Vatanen and Bobby Ryan, that will add to the cap pretty quickly.
5 more years of Brown. I don't imagine Vegas plans to be bad for 5 years. I would think LA's other exposed players might be more attractive than Shinkaruk.

The only tiny benefit of Brown is that the last 2 years of his contract are less actual money than cap hit, but there are better options on that kind of contract situation (such as his teammate, Marion Gaborik). I would think Gaborik gets protected, but at age 35, I imagine Kings fans are debating whether he is worthy of a protection slot over a younger guy. If available, Gaborik might be a great selection to make and trade away at 50% retained. Brown is also an American kid that's captained two teams to cups, so perhaps there is some value there.

Marc Staal has NMC.

I don't think Ottawa has much trouble protecting Ryan if they want to. Marc Methot on the other hand has 2 years left at 4.9M.

I can't imagine Anaheim letting Vatanen/Fowler go for free. You either trade him away for a return that will definitely exceed whoever Vegas ends up taking from you, or give Vegas a sweetner to not select. Are players able to waive their NMC only for the expansion draft (but not other transactions)? If yes, then Anaheim is probably able to get Bieksa to waive, as there's no way Vegas takes him.

I posted a list earlier of higher money contracts that might be of interest to Vegas (I was thinking mostly of trading away at 50% retained, but the 43.8M thing makes it an even more attractive idea. Brouwer was not at the top of that list, but the thing to remember is the opportunity cost factor - in Brouwer's case Vegas wouldn't be missing out on a much better opportunity.
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:25 AM   #186
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I posted a list earlier of higher money contracts that might be of interest to Vegas (I was thinking mostly of trading away at 50% retained, but the 43.8M thing makes it an even more attractive idea. Brouwer was not at the top of that list, but the thing to remember is the opportunity cost factor - in Brouwer's case Vegas wouldn't be missing out on a much better opportunity.
If Vegas claimed Brouwer and flipped him @ 50%, I think they could get a pretty decent return tbh
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:13 PM   #187
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have been thinking about it for a bit now.....just thought I would post it. At least Jiri isn't a dou#$e about it.
Let's be real pal you are trolling. Why would the Flames expose Gaudreau. Give me one reason. If they wanted to move on from Johnny they would get plenty of offers for trade. They could move his whole salary without taking any back and get just picks if they wanted.

It was a very poor suggestion that doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:53 PM   #188
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
LA has more to gain (thus offer in exchange for taking Brown) than we do. And Brown is still an NHLer, albeit more of a 3rd line guy. Brouwer at this point is a downgrade on fringe NHLers like Hamilton and Hathaway.
I know you hate Brouwer with the fire of 1000 suns, but you gotta stop with hyperbolic statements like this one. Hamilton is a filler player. Doesn't hurt you, but never helps you much either. Hathaway has great energy and drives the play, but isn't much of a scorer.

Brouwer was at the very least solid defensively. His GA Rel TM was -0.28, which puts him in the top 10 skaters for the Flames defensively, which is also in line with his GA/60. His offensive numbers are terrible compared to ice time and power play time, so I won't defend him there, but is he really as bad offensively as guys like Hathaway and Hamilton? Hamilton had the 2nd worst GF Rel TM on the team, and Hathaway wasn't much better, but he was better than Brouwer in that regard. Brouwer also did plenty of good work on the PK this year, and maybe Hathaway could do the same job at some point, but he (and Hamilton) were never given the opportunity, so we can't compare.

Nobody is running around here claiming that Brouwer had a great year, or that he's undervalued/underpaid, but there's a big difference between that and what you're doing, which is making a claim about a player as being a borderline NHLer when he's come off of several years in a row of 20 goals/20 assists, and happened to have a down year offensively for the Flames.

If Vegas takes Brouwer, I won't be sad if only due to his contract.

If we keep Brouwer, I won't be sad because I know he's capable of more than he showed offensively this year, and he does a fine job defensively.

That's not even getting into Dustin Brown who has the exact same regular stats as Brouwer, and worse defensive advanced stats.

Last edited by Cali Panthers Fan; 05-05-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2017, 02:03 PM   #189
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, asking a question.....
Remember when your teacher said there were no stupid questions? I don't think they took the one you just asked into consideration.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:04 PM   #190
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry, but if that was an actual thoughtout post and not an attempt at trolling, then it was very poorly thought out. I mean, honestly, as others have already pointed out, even if you don't want JG on the team, how does it make ANY sense to expose him to the draft when you can guarantee trade him for a kings ransom? That's 100% unnecessarily giving up an asset for nothing.

That's the equivalent of you buying a brand new Porsche, being disappointed with it, and just giving it away instead of trading it in for another car or selling it. Does that make any sense to you?
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:19 PM   #191
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Am I the only one who wants JG aka "the kid" left open to the expansion draft? All the talent in the world, but wont use it.....watch the world championships.....he will light it up AND play defensively.
Waiting to get roasted for this.

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:40 PM   #192
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
If Vegas takes Brouwer, I won't be sad if only due to his contract.

If we keep Brouwer, I won't be sad because I know he's capable of more than he showed offensively this year, and he does a fine job defensively.
Nailed my thoughts too
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote