Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2017, 08:55 PM   #141
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Bobby Fricken Ryan...you'd think people would have learned their lesson about wanting last season's playoff hero.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:26 PM   #142
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
You have to question why he got so little ice time and if you would want to risk taking that contract for a 30+ year old player.
Bobby Ryan went through a lot of personal stuff last year. His mother died of liver cancer at the end of July and he also had a new born child. I think when the season started, his head wasn't in it, he wasn't performing, he lost his roster position as a result spiraled downward.

After seeing him rejuvenated in the playoffs, I am betting on him to return to form next season. I would not be surprised to see him put up 30 goals if he can push Stone off the 1st line (or if he moves to a new team).

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 06-25-2017 at 11:29 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:46 PM   #143
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jagr is at 1914 career NHL points. I think he is motivated to get to 2000.

With that being said, I really hope we can get him and see him pump in 50 this coming season...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:13 AM   #144
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I would bring back Versteeg for the 3rd line and PP, but he doesn't work on the top line. Would need someone else there.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:25 AM   #145
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

What would Jagr's motivation be to come to Calgary from Florida?
Old 06-26-2017, 08:36 AM   #146
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
What would Jagr's motivation be to come to Calgary from Florida?
not much if anything. I recall reading that he hates the travel in the Western Conference.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:42 AM   #147
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

If there was a way to trick, I mean convince the sens to retain 50% of Ryan's contract, would he be a fit? 3.6 mil isn't that bad for a guy to play on the top line, it is a bit long but it isn't like it's a huge amount.

Not that I think that would happen but if Treliving casts a spell of confusion it could happen!
Old 06-26-2017, 08:45 AM   #148
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
If there was a way to trick, I mean convince the sens to retain 50% of Ryan's contract, would he be a fit? 3.6 mil isn't that bad for a guy to play on the top line, it is a bit long but it isn't like it's a huge amount.

Not that I think that would happen but if Treliving casts a spell of confusion it could happen!

That would be a hell of a trick
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:48 AM   #149
chopper89
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm guessing we sign Stafford. He's big.

Big = good.
chopper89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:51 AM   #150
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Would you move Ferland to Vegas for a year of James Neal?
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:55 AM   #151
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Would you move Ferland to Vegas for a year of James Neal?
No.
Not interested in Stafford/Williams/Versteeg etc either. This team needs to count on the likes of Gaudreau/Monahan/Backlund/Tkachuk taking the next step and making players around them better.

Fill out the roster with your drafted players and lets play.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 08:55 AM   #152
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

I'm a fan of Bobby Ryan the player, but that contract is brutal.

Only way I would want to see it happen is if they did something with Brouwer for Ryan. Both teams retain salary on each player, gets Ottawa immediate cap relief, and gives Calgary Bobby Ryan relief in the last 2 years of that deal.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:22 AM   #153
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bobby Ryan's contract (7.5 / 5 years remaining) is worse than Brouwer's (4.5 / 3 years), but Bobby Ryan brings more value on the ice in the next couple seasons, is a playoff performer, and fills a need on the Flames that Brouwer cannot, as shown last season. Ottawa would absolutely need to retain a fair chunk of that albatross.

Hurdles would be Brouwer's NTC and with Ryan I don't know if a couple years of usefulness would outweigh the 5 remaining years at probably 5+ mil even after salary retained. Probably 2-3 painful years to close out that contract.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:35 AM   #154
SofaProfessor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The most valuable trade pieces in the Flames organization (outside of the untouchables) would be that log jam of good defensive prospects. I imagine Treliving and most posters on this forum want to hold onto all of those guys if possible but they are likely the pieces needed in order to get a trade done that isn't a cap dump or another bottom 6 guy.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:38 AM   #155
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Bobby Ryan's contract (7.5 / 5 years remaining) is worse than Brouwer's (4.5 / 3 years), but Bobby Ryan brings more value on the ice in the next couple seasons, is a playoff performer, and fills a need on the Flames that Brouwer cannot, as shown last season. Ottawa would absolutely need to retain a fair chunk of that albatross.

Hurdles would be Brouwer's NTC and with Ryan I don't know if a couple years of usefulness would outweigh the 5 remaining years at probably 5+ mil even after salary retained. Probably 2-3 painful years to close out that contract.
Ryan had a good PO run, but his season was pretty brutal. And his previous POs were not good.

He is a 50 point guy making a way lot more than 50 point money.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:04 AM   #156
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Bobby Ryan? Ugh. That contract would be brutal. Potentially cost us our chance to re-sign guys like Tkachuk, Backlund and Jankowski in a few years. I'd rather have those guys instead of Ryan. No way we take on that albatross
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 11:34 AM   #157
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

only way we take on Ryan is if Ottawa retains 50%. I can't see them having any appetite to do so.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:58 AM   #158
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yakupov is a UFA now.

I'd have zero hesitation to throw him a <$1m contract offer.

He's a straight-line player with a good nose for the net. Basically a smaller version of Chiasson but with vastly more goal-scoring upside if he somehow manages to get his poop in a group again.

I think reclamation projects become even more important with the team tossing draft picks like confetti, and Yakupov is a perfect fit in terms of age, high upside, playing the team's biggest position of need, and any success he may have would be a giant middle finger to the Oilers.

For the maybe 20% chance that the Flames could turn him into a functional secondary goal scorer, I think its totally worth a contract slot and a replacement-level contract.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:21 AM   #159
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I'm assuming he's referring to the fact that even though Glencross was at one point one of the best value contracts in the league, he eventually started unravelling. He was a player who had trouble with consistency (both in terms of production and effort), took dumb penalties, and whose over-valuation of his own worth probably shortened his career.

While obviously he had some very positive contributions to the team, Glencross does offer a bit of a cautionary tale.
He never for a minute of that contract was overpayed. Glencross isn't a cautionary tale it is the model. Pay for the average performance not the peak and add term to bring down the cap hit.

Glencross if anything is a cautionary tale for players to always hit free agency when you have the opportunity:
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:30 AM   #160
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
He never for a minute of that contract was overpayed. Glencross isn't a cautionary tale it is the model. Pay for the average performance not the peak and add term to bring down the cap hit.
Glencross is a cautionary tale for players, not for teams. I think the team itself handled it perfectly...squeeze as much as possible out of a player, and realize that when said player wants to recoup his losses with a big new contract even though he's on the decline, say no and trade him for futures.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
GGG