Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-14-2017, 03:22 PM   #1
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Fat Bearded Anti-Islamic Psuedo-Militia Comes Out In Calgary

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/t...-patriot-group

Quote:
They call themselves the Three Percent. They’re armed, say they’re ready for war on Canadian soil, and experts say they are dangerous.
Quote:
In front of Calgary City Hall, a couple dozen of them stood shoulder-to-shoulder in an attempt to make an unbreakable human wall. Each of them wore a uniform consisting of a black T-shirt emblazoned with a Roman helmet—a look that wouldn't be out of place in a biker gang.
Quote:
This was effectively the III% Alberta's coming out party—a planned operation that they called "Operation Shock N Awe"—and a show of force by a far-right anti-Islamic organization that claims to be heavily armed and ready for "war" on Canadian soil.
Quote:
The Albertan group claims to meet on a weekly basis to train with live ammunition and prepare themselves for when the "#### hits the fan." The group's attention shifts constantly, but it seemingly revolves around hating on Antifa, the influx of refugees crossing Canada's borders and, most prominently, the possibility of a Islamic terrorist attack. Unlike the Soldiers of Odin, or other like-minded groups, the III%ers don't seem to feel the need to play coy with their hatred of Islam.
Quote:
Welling told VICE that "anti-Islam" would be a fair description of the group's beliefs. From talking to Welling and seeing frequent posts on their closed group, it is clear the III% legitimately think an Islamic invasion of Canada is on the horizon, and that is what they're training for—the term he used to describe refugees and immigration was "a planned, tactical citizen invasion."

"We dislike Islam and the Muslims," he later added for extra measure.
Great job disproving the xenophobic yokel stereotype guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:27 PM   #2
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In front of Calgary City Hall, a couple dozen of them stood shoulder-to-shoulder in an attempt to make an unbreakable human wall. Each of them wore a uniform consisting of a black T-shirt emblazoned with a Roman helmet—a look that wouldn't be out of place in a biker gang.
I dunno, looks like a dollar store Vegas Knights t-shirt to me.

Looooosers.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:28 PM   #3
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Ahhhhhh ****! It had to be Calgary, it just had to be.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:29 PM   #4
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Haha I can't help but laugh when looking at that picture. A bunch of losers indeed.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:31 PM   #5
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I know this won't happen, but just flat out ignoring them would be the best way to respond.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 03:31 PM   #6
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I see people like this I always wonder how many times they have been shot at.

Idiots.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 03:32 PM   #7
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That picture strangely makes me feel better about Calgary. It is a farce. Does the 3% represent the number of followers for those numbnuts?
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:33 PM   #8
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

How embarrassing, these guys are a shame. I fear one of them will shoot up a mosque long before there's a terror attack here.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 03:35 PM   #9
jayswin

Exp:

It's too bad VICE got a hold of this. They love to blow things like this up, and will make it as big as they can which is ironically the opposite of what the people that work there likely would be in favor of for stupid groups like this if you asked them their personal opinion on lending credence to hate groups.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 03:35 PM   #10
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
That picture strangely makes me feel better about Calgary. It is a farce. Does the 3% represent the number of followers for those numbnuts?
The III% (or "threepers" as they're also known) take their name from an American paramilitary group that organized after Barack Obama was elected president in 2008. They are a largely decentralized organization built around strong anti-government and pro-gun views. Numerous people linked to the III% in the US have been charged with crimes, including Allen "Lance" Scarsella, who shot five people at a Black Lives Matter protest, and a member was arrested in 2011 in a foiled plot to bomb federal buildings in Atlanta.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 03:36 PM   #11
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I know this won't happen, but just flat out ignoring them would be the best way to respond.
I've said this a multitude of times, but yes, ignore them.

These guys look like a bunch of idiots but there are rights in this country, so who looks like a bigger idiot? These guys who are operating within their rights and the law or the people who breach those rights and the law in dissent and get hauled away by the cops?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:36 PM   #12
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The III% (or "threepers" as they're also known) take their name from an American paramilitary group that organized after Barack Obama was elected president in 2008. They are a largely decentralized organization built around strong anti-government and pro-gun views. Numerous people linked to the III% in the US have been charged with crimes, including Allen "Lance" Scarsella, who shot five people at a Black Lives Matter protest, and a member was arrested in 2011 in a foiled plot to bomb federal buildings in Atlanta.
Too bad we couldn't classify them as a terror group based on their American counterparts.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:37 PM   #13
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

These guys should stick to airsoft.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 03:38 PM   #14
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bunch of pathetic scared losers who crap their pants over anything different then themselves.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 03:39 PM   #15
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

The names on the lapels are funny.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 03:40 PM   #16
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I don't think that's quite right, I'm pretty sure it's that you have to be in the bottom 3% of IQ to join
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:41 PM   #17
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The batting cage helmet is pretty intimidating. (I am guessing more for T-ball).
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 03:41 PM   #18
jayswin

Exp:

The guy in the middle of the second row in the black and grey tee looks like he's legitimately ready to kill a Muslim at the first command. Geez.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:41 PM   #19
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are their day jobs?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 03:42 PM   #20
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
The batting cage helmet is pretty intimidating. (I am guessing more for T-ball).
Wait, is he actually wearing a baseball helmet? Hahahaha.