Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2016, 06:39 PM   #1
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:
Default Star Wars: Han Solo's standalone film (Untitled)

As news is coming out, I thought I would make a thread. Feel free to cry that there are to many Star Wars threads.

Donald Glover = Young Lando!

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/21/entert...ars/index.html
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kavvy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2016, 10:22 PM   #2
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm Leary of this because Han Solo was Harrison Ford, if this works with a new actor great, if it doesn't this could just be a bad movie and hardcore Star Wars fans will riot.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:56 PM   #3
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Shia Lebeouf would be a good han solo.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:15 PM   #4
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alden Ehrenreich has been cast as Solo.

This was announced a few months ago: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2403277/
Old 10-22-2016, 07:14 AM   #5
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

The title will be - Fly Solo
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:22 PM   #6
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

The directors have dropped out with 3 weeks left in filming due to creative differences with the studio.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...ectors-1015419
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:56 PM   #7
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, that's not a great sign.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:11 PM   #8
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Well, that's not a great sign.
Rogue One had the same issue, and it was definitely for the best as the early previews looked pretty bad compared to the final product. Hopefully this one fares the same
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2017, 08:29 AM   #9
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Massive reshoots inc!
Old 06-21-2017, 08:58 AM   #10
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Rumor this morning is that lil Opie Cunningham is in talks to take over the directors chair. It would be a good choice to take over in a tough spot.

I was never a fan of Lord and Miller to direct a Star Wars movie... I like their movies (funny stuff) but I wasn't sure it would translate to the galaxy far far away... seems like they and Kennedy and Kasdan weren't seeing eye to eye which lead to them leaving.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:16 AM   #11
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Apparently Ron Howard is a front runner:

Quote:
In the wake of the news that directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller have exited the Star Wars anthology film about Han Solo over “creative differences,” Deadline reports Ron Howard is now the frontrunner to helm the project. According to the report, Howard is being considered for his wealth of experience behind the camera, which would allow him to keep the film on track to meet its May 2018 release date.
http://www.cbr.com/star-wars-han-solo-ron-howard/
Old 06-21-2017, 09:44 AM   #12
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Rogue One had the same issue, and it was definitely for the best as the early previews looked pretty bad compared to the final product. Hopefully this one fares the same
Exactly. It sounds like that ending we all loved was pretty much 100% done in the reshoots which people freaked out over, so I'm not worried in the slightest.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:47 AM   #13
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I think Shia Lebeouf would be a good han solo.
That would kill the movie for me.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:51 AM   #14
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I thought they were kind of asking for trouble by doing a young Han Solo movie.

Rogue one worked because frankly they introduced a new cast of characters to TGFFA and then killed them. So there can't be much debate about the characters themselves.

The characters that we know from the original trilogy weren't put in a position to really fail. They used CGA for Leia and Tarkin. Vader's under a mask but I'm betting he got hours of walking lessons. Mon Mothma really didn't have much of a role and they threw in a few pilots.

But can you imagine the nerd rage if this had happened instead of CGI Tarkin?

The movie probably wouldn't have been as well received as it was.

Tarkin worked in TCW's and Rebels because they drew him and then got a voice actor that was a dead knockoff.

With a young Solo movie with familiar characters being played by younger actors, it opens the door for criticism by frame by frame obsessed Star Wars fans who will flail the movie if the actor doesn't portray Ford playing Solo, or Billy Dee Williams playing Lando.

On top of it there's a EU backstory for Solo that's actually pretty good, if they change it the EU Classic Mainiacs will go nuts.

I know they're doing a Bobba Fett movie, but that's easy, Fett is the mask not the man under the mask. And frankly if they wanted to show him without the helmet its pretty easy since we've never seen what adult Fett looks like. We can make a guess that he looks like his dad, but throw some scars on his face and your golden.

I get that there's a common conception that Star Wars is Vader/Anakin, Kenobi, Luke, Leia, Solo etc.

But I honestly think that in a galaxy as vast and timeless as this one that they could really stretch themselves story wise.

Rebels did really well with this, Rogue one did well with this as well. The Ewok stories were terrible.

I know that people are screaming for the story of Palpatine before becoming even a Senator. How did he become a Sith, how was he trained, where does he come from? But making that movie is incredibly dangerous because of the job ht IMcD did. Its the same with the Solo movie, because no matter how good the story is there's going to be the complaint of it sucked because this actor couldn't carry Fords gun belt.

I'd really like to see TGFFA stretched out. Just like at some point, the Sequel Trilogy needs to move out of the shadows of Luke and Leia and become their own thing.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:58 AM   #15
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just think that Don Glover is going to knock this out of the park as Lando.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:11 PM   #16
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Yea, Rogue One was so good because they took a relatively small but significant point from the OT and expanded it. They did so without infringing on the OT but went right up to the fringes of it with small over laps here and there. Just enough to make us giddy, not enough to offend us.

Recreating an origin story for a widely popular and huge focal point of the OT is a massive under taking.. I just don't know how they can pull it off. But we will see.

I would have rather had more one offs like Rogue One, take a tiny part of the OT story and expand on it. Like wtf happened at Tosche Station when Luke wasn't there!??
Old 06-21-2017, 12:22 PM   #17
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'd still love an old republic movie based around the founding of the Jedi and the split between the Jedi and Sith.

Or the reformation of the Sith that lead to the rule of two.

Even a Darth Bane movie where its the bad guy would be really cool to me.

Rebels has done a really good job of these side characters the Agent Kallus defection stuff I think has been really strong as well.

There so much material though its understandable that they would want to stick with the tried and true because its money.

But even the book Dark Lord the rise of Darth Vader was one of the best EU books in my mind and would be an exceptional movie and they only had Ben Kenobi in the last few pages.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:06 PM   #18
theinfinitejar
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Did anyone really want a Han Solo prequel? Isn't part of what makes him a cool character that we don't know that much about him? Or are they doing this because people know Han and it's a safe bet to make a gorillion dollars at the box office?
theinfinitejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:13 PM   #19
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Disney is putting out 1 Star Wars movie per year right now and I don't see them stopping any time soon. They're going to make hand over fist and won't stop until the well is dry.

So they'll likely make movies or TV shows out of all the characters and stories you want. Eventually.

Between Marvel, Star Wars and their own characters, they have 1000 years of movies to make and then they can reboot them all.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:23 PM   #20
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Reboot Star Wars?

REBOOT STAR WARS?!?!/

REEEBOOOTTTT .... STAR.... WARRRS!?!?!?/