Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #21
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

More towards cartoons, took the kid to see Frozen and thought it was pretty good, not top tier but pretty decent. Liked how they blurred the lines between good and evil and had the characters be real and flawed.

The music I thought was pretty weak though, only one song I thought was good.

EDIT: Oh and Idina Menzel is awesome.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #22
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
Curious about this. I've heard it described as a train wreck in the second season, but the trains are filled with paint, so at least it's entertaining.
While I think the first season was better than the second, it is still great. The pacing is certainly a bit different and I think they could have done a bit better job, but overall, it is the difference between getting an A+ grade and a B+. The second season also does have some very good, memorable scenes.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaramonLS For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #23
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
Curious about this. I've heard it described as a train wreck in the second season, but the trains are filled with paint, so at least it's entertaining.

From my list of recommendations (bear in mind I am kind of crazy):
- Serial Experiments Lain. Certainly not for everyone (it kind of defines "mind****ing the audience), but a great show if you want to figure the plot out yourself.
-- Really, about half my favourites consist of weird experiments in show design much like this, so I've skipped the rest of that pile.
- Psycho-Pass. It doesn't really live up to any hype it built up, but it's worth it for the first half's references to Titus Andronicus, the Bible, and some kind of interesting themes placed in the show. Again, it kind of falls flat, but really fun watch, especially if you are into literary references and 1984.
- Slayers franchise. I'm a nostalgic. I admit that openly. Slayers had the following any massive franchise has today. I only caught 13 episodes as a kid and I think that stuck with me for my whole life.
If you enjoy things that are a little on the weirder side, I would recommend Mirai Nikki (Future Diary).
The Following User Says Thank You to CaramonLS For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #24
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
If you enjoy things that are a little on the weirder side, I would recommend Mirai Nikki (Future Diary).
I've heard some good reviews of the show. I'll have to check it out.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:52 AM   #25
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Attack on Titan is on my list of animes to watch. Apparently it's quite good.

I haven't watched/read One Piece in a while. But that one's always highly entertaining. Might be time for an OP binge.

I also haven't watched Naruto Shippuden since the beginning. I heard that one gets pretty good.

I need to watch more Archer. I keep seeing episodes here and there, and they're always hilarious. Need to binge out and just watch that one in its entirety one day.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #26
photon

Exp:

RightStuf is having a pretty decent sale, you can get Dragon Ball Z DVD box sets for $16 each. $150 for the entire series.

Or Dragon Ball Z Kai (which is a remastered recut Dragon Ball Z that ends at the end of the Cell Games Saga) on Blu-ray for $25 each.
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6...em/94448/4/0/0

And I didn't know but they're doing a Blu-ray uncut of the whole series, I might wait for that.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:43 AM   #27
Speros
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Bandwagoner View Post

I haven't watched/read One Piece in a while. But that one's always highly entertaining. Might be time for an OP binge.

I recently realized that I have been reading/watching One Piece for 12 years. A year or two ago the author said that the series is only about halfway, that just blows my mind.The anime has had its ups and downs, it suffers from a lot of filler due to it catching up to the Manga. That being said if you haven't seen Strong World it is a perfect One Piece fix. I do recommend getting back into the manga though, as there have been some great arcs, including the current one which just keeps getting better and better.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:25 AM   #28
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
More towards cartoons, took the kid to see Frozen and thought it was pretty good, not top tier but pretty decent. Liked how they blurred the lines between good and evil and had the characters be real and flawed.

The music I thought was pretty weak though, only one song I thought was good.

EDIT: Oh and Idina Menzel is awesome.

Saw this with the wife due to Idina Menzel. I thought that it was quite good (though you are right about the rest of the songs) but what I found interesting is that it has to be the most subversive pieces that Disney's put out in quite some time. A lot of interesting layers in this one.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #29
photon

Exp:

The new Puella Magi Madoka Magica movie Rebellion is showing at Chinook tomorrow 12:55, I just found out about it by accident. Does anyone know if the movie is translated, or subbed?
Old 01-30-2014, 06:21 PM   #30
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't found too many anime series that I've liked lately.

However, I recently finished Steins;Gate and I can honestly say that it's the best series I've seen. Based on the John Titor time machine meme of the early 00s, it is the perfect combination of slice of life and science fiction. It has a great cast of characters and a lot of emotion.

I think even non-anime fans would enjoy it. It's a little nerdy and it might start a little slow (though I enjoyed the character development), but I can't recall any show that has had quite a lasting impact on me.

If you haven't seen it yet, set some time aside and do so. It's a series you'll truly be sad to finish.

Last edited by Ashasx; 01-30-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2014, 09:11 PM   #31
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished the first season of Attack on Titan and I quite enjoyed it. Pacific Rim meets Dragon Ball Z.

Some of the plot twists are a little obvious at times, but short of maybe two episodes, they were all very entertaining.

I don't usually watched subbed anime (unless the dub is poor), but I couldn't ignore the hype any longer. I'm looking forward to seeing it again in English and then season 2 (whenever that may be)

By the way, this, S;G, and many other series can all be streamed for free on Funimation's website. AoT is also on Netflix which is pretty awesome,

Last edited by Ashasx; 02-08-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:14 PM   #32
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Man, Subbed > Dubbed every single time for me. Some of the voice acting in the English versions are just plain horrid, especially in the non-mainstream stuff.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #33
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I disagree, but I don't want to turn this into a dub vs sub debate.

90% of the time, I think whichever you hear first, you will prefer. I imagine when Funimation gets their dub out, I won't like some of the voices because I'm not used to them. That doesn't mean the dub is bad. The voice actors are not trying to imitate their Japanese counterparts. It's up to the casting director to get the voices right.

With that said, as I cannot speak Japanese, if the dub is at least decent, I usually prefer it. As much as I liked the Japanese voice acting in AoT, it's hard for me to distinguish between voices in different languages (ie. I can't play their voices in my head).

Funimation always does great dubs for highly anticipated series. S;G was flawless, with the only drawback being that some things simply cannot be perfectly translated to English.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:38 PM   #34
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I disagree, but I don't want to turn this into a dub vs sub debate.

(Been waiting for a reason to use that gif for forever )

Dragon Ball Z is a good example for myself, I first saw it dubbed, and I thought I could never imagine it any other way, but then I saw it subbed and now I completely think in their Japanese voices.

I think a good sub will give lots more insight into Japanese culture and society too, there's things that don't translate well where the translators will just give up and skip the whole concept where a good sub will often explain it. Though how important that is depends on the anime, AoT probably not so much where a comedy or drama or slice of life might benefit immensely (or even be completely unintelligible unless there's a good translation).

Plus like CaramonLS I can't get past the voice acting in many cases.

That's my preference anyway, plus I like to pretend I'm learning Japanese.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2014, 09:47 PM   #35
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, I don't really think DBZ is a great dub. How many different companies were in charge of dubbing it over the entire series? It's not the best example.

If I remember correctly, characters weren't given permanent voice actors until halfway through the Frieza series when Funimation started to do the dub themselves, and it was so odd because everyone's voice suddenly changed. I can't even recall how many times Krillin's voice changed. I also know the series was originally dubbed to be more child-friendly by adding lines like "thankfully their parachutes deployed" after Vegeta destroyed a helicopter or something.

Like I said, I think some dubs are great (S;G, Bebop) while other dubs I couldn't stand (Durarara, for example). I have confidence in Funimation's latest work.

Last edited by Ashasx; 02-08-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:27 PM   #36
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Just reading some of the reviews for Bebop, apparently the dubbed is better than the original Japanese version.

But if you ever watch Needless, they left out probably half the jokes in the dubbed version. Lots of comedy ones get lost in translation. Mostly action ones are probably fine.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:31 PM   #37
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post

Plus like CaramonLS I can't get past the voice acting in many cases.
I feel awkward on occasion watching the 'exaggerated' characters in Japanese. In English, it is almost unwatchable because you cringe so much.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:27 AM   #38
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Thanked that post Photon for the Bolin gif. Can't wait for book 3. As for the whole Dub vs Sub debate, it pretty much comes down to preference.

For me i prefer Dub mainly due to the fact that my favorite animes on YTV where dubbed (Inuyasha, Dragon Ball & DBZ) but ive enjoyed the original Japanese voices as well. There are crappy voice overs of both.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #39
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's an older anime, but we've recently gotten into watching Hajime No Ippo. We're about 50 episodes in so far. It's funny because all the boxing moves seem so whacky. But then you look it up on Google after, and most of the moves they use actually do exist haha. I'm still waiting for Ippo to learn the Demsey Roll I keep hearing so much about.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:52 PM   #40
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Bandwagoner View Post
It's an older anime, but we've recently gotten into watching Hajime No Ippo. We're about 50 episodes in so far. It's funny because all the boxing moves seem so whacky. But then you look it up on Google after, and most of the moves they use actually do exist haha. I'm still waiting for Ippo to learn the Demsey Roll I keep hearing so much about.
Whatever reason, it's just one of those long lasting sports series that keeps its momentum. If you haven't already, Eyeshield 21 is another classic about American football.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote