Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2017, 09:35 AM   #1841
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
On Saturday evening CP Rail removed their old locomotive in front of Gulf Canada Square on 9th Ave and filled the spot in with gravel.

Typical CP. Something cool that the community appreciates? Screw that. Gravel for you!
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:14 AM   #1842
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post

Typical CP. Something cool that the community appreciates? Screw that. Gravel for you!
Don't shoot the messenger?
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:19 AM   #1843
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Don't shoot the messenger?
The man in question is Hunter Harrison.

Boo him.

He's terrible.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:27 AM   #1844
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hunter Harrison is not at CP anymore.
And given that CP does not occupy the tower anymore I suppose it's logical they would want to move the locomotive to their HQ to signify their presence at that location. Bummer, but I can't really blame them.
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:39 AM   #1845
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Property management may have wanted it gone, would've been cheaper for CP to leave it in place.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:39 AM   #1846
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Hunter Harrison is not at CP anymore.
Doesn't matter. It's still all his fault somehow. I know it. The locomotive is probably his retirement gift.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:01 PM   #1847
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I seem to recall that the locomotive was to reside outside the new CP Rail Headquarters in Ogden
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:16 PM   #1848
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by para transit fellow View Post
I seem to recall that the locomotive was to reside outside the new CP Rail Headquarters in Ogden

I heard through my circles it may be getting restored. Don't know if it will be cosmetic, or all the way back into operating condition.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:55 PM   #1849
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by para transit fellow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
I heard through my circles it may be getting restored. Don't know if it will be cosmetic, or all the way back into operating condition.
Usernames check out.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 07:55 AM   #1850
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is the lift and move timelapse, pretty cool to see this old engine rolling on her own wheels!

https://twitter.com/CBCmonty/status/876589585089699840
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 02:39 PM   #1851
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I wanted the video to keep going. Where did that track lead? All the way to Ogden? To the CP line? That would have been amazing to see if the locomotive rolled on the CP line all the way to the yard.
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billybob123 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 03:28 PM   #1852
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Man, what has happened to the SSP Calgary forum over the last year or so? Constant, juvenile bickering has made the place tiresome to visit. It's a shame because there are still some informative posts/posters there.

Anyway, I was going to ask there, but might as well ask here instead. The road outside my work and the lawns of the businesses have been spray painted for presumably upcoming work. Is there a website where I can see what's happening and when this will be taking place? Looks like utility work as the markings go in a straight line up the length of the road, so may not even be the city.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:35 PM   #1853
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, it's awful. There are no mods around, so idiots just crap all over the place.

And sorry, can't help with your question. You could give a quick call to 311, I'm sure they could point you in the right direction. Or the wrong one, I've been led astray a few times this year...
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:45 PM   #1854
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've all but gone from SSP, it's terrible.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:15 PM   #1855
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
Man, what has happened to the SSP Calgary forum over the last year or so? Constant, juvenile bickering has made the place tiresome to visit. It's a shame because there are still some informative posts/posters there.

Anyway, I was going to ask there, but might as well ask here instead. The road outside my work and the lawns of the businesses have been spray painted for presumably upcoming work. Is there a website where I can see what's happening and when this will be taking place? Looks like utility work as the markings go in a straight line up the length of the road, so may not even be the city.
Just move over to skyrise if you haven't yet.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2017, 07:29 AM   #1856
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post

We've got similar markings and such all over parts of Sunnyside right now, I do know that some of it will be sidewalk widening (yay!), and some of it was new tree planting that was just happening this week. I'm curious to see what comes of the other markings.

And yes SSP (at least the Calgary section) has fallen from such mighty highs. I pulled the plug just a couple of weeks ago, logged out and won't look back. There since 2005 and something insane like 17,000 posts. Met so many good people (Bunk, table5, frinkprof, surferguy, Boris, Calgarian, and many others) and forged some good relationships that continue to this day. To see such a great place destroyed by the actions of a few members is kind of sad. Perhaps we need to rename this thread "Calgary SRC Development Listing"?
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2017, 07:32 AM   #1857
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh and in development news the Triangle site in Sunnyside (currently home of ContainR) just west of Vendome was put out to the development community for interest in buying the site to develop. The city currently owns it and I believe any development must include an affordable housing component, apparently interest in the site is very strong. ContainR has to move out this year (around September-November I believe) so with the right developer perhaps we could see things happens quickly on such a prime spot.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:45 AM   #1858
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Oh and in development news the Triangle site in Sunnyside (currently home of ContainR) just west of Vendome was put out to the development community for interest in buying the site to develop. The city currently owns it and I believe any development must include an affordable housing component, apparently interest in the site is very strong. ContainR has to move out this year (around September-November I believe) so with the right developer perhaps we could see things happens quickly on such a prime spot.

If it's the spot I'm thinking, is this the plot of land put up for sale y the city earlier this month (along with six other locations around the city) for affordable housing? Or is this a second location in the area?

Edit: To answer my own question, I don't think it is the same location. The site recently put up for sale by the city is located at 333 14 St. N.W., in Hillhurst. Glad to see more affordable housing is going into the area. I'm a fan of diversity.

http://www.calgary.ca/CS/realestate/...providers.aspx

Last edited by Sr. Mints; 07-28-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:51 AM   #1859
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I spoke with the City's real estate team last week and was told this site is already conditionally sold. You're correct about the affordable hosing piece and there will be main floor retail space. They wouldn't tell me who the purchaser is but said a very reputable local developer.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J pold For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2017, 11:02 AM   #1860
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
I spoke with the City's real estate team last week and was told this site is already conditionally sold. You're correct about the affordable hosing piece and there will be main floor retail space. They wouldn't tell me who the purchaser is but said a very reputable local developer.
I imagine there was a lineup to buy this property.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote