Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-24-2017, 11:46 PM   #601
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
A Harris / Tanner Foust / Sabine 3 lap showdown on the Nordschleife would be McGregor / Mayweather levels of epicness for me.

(Foust would crush them......I think?)
I'd bet on Sabine every single time. She was literally raised on the ring since she was a tot. She knows how to beat the tar out of that track. I love Harris but I'm unsure how he fleshes out against Sabine, and I have some decent respect for Foust but if they're on the ring, he'd finish 3rd I'd wager. I think he'd agree (call the European advantage). I think one of the first seasons of top gear U.S was his first times on the ring, or the series he was plucked from prior. It was a dream come true. He was scared of it. Or more like reverent.

Edit: I feel like I watched his first run on it in 2010 or 2011??

Last edited by dammage79; 03-25-2017 at 12:09 AM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:52 PM   #602
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

As for the rest of the recent posts in the thread. Harris gets the Chiron? OH, MAH, EFFING, LORD. I think may getting both the Veyron and the Veyron Ss on their speed ring was possibly some of the best filmed car moments ever, Harris pounding out the Chiron is going to be on another level. I sincerely hope gets to run the speed ring like May did. Make it a top gear tradition.

God I need to get a new laptop so I can watch again. At the very least I'll have a ton of binge watching to get to when I do get back to normalcy.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:02 AM   #603
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Loved episode 3. They have really found their stride. Seemed so jam packed. I thought the episode was winding down but they still had the Fiat/Miata segment and SIARPC was actually entertaining.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:47 PM   #604
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
A Harris / Tanner Foust / Sabine 3 lap showdown on the Nordschleife would be McGregor / Mayweather levels of epicness for me.

(Foust would crush them......I think?)
The ring is a special track where experience would trump all probably. I'd take Foust over the other 2 in any other situation though. That guy is a machine.

Sucks that Top Gear USA got cancelled cause Harris vs. Foust would be sick!
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:24 PM   #605
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trouble in Top Gear.

Quote:
Police in Norway revoked a special speed licence issued to Top Gear after one of its supercars was clocked doing 151mph in a 50mph tunnel.

Sensors alerted police to the vehicle as it zoomed through the three and-a-half mile Atlantic Ocean Tunnel while Top Gear were filming.

The BBC have insisted that Matt LeBlanc, 49, and Chris Harris, 42, were not in the area at the time the reading was recorded.

But officers are demanding to know who was behind the wheel of the speeding car.

'Permits to exceed the speed limit have been revoked.'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4kwuZfBrX

Well....if LeBlanc and Harris werent there then....

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:59 PM   #606
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wasn't a fan of the first two episodes of Season 25. Seems like they were trying to ape GT a little too much, with grand adventures using cars vs actually talking about said cars.

Episode 3 looks to be better with all three of them in Japan. The LC500 vs Type R looks to be a good battle brewing. Looks like lots of Manga type FX which gets annoying after a while (IMHO)
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:54 AM   #607
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Final up to date on this season. Love it. Harris and LeBlanc finally find their stride and can carry the show for a long time. Rory is maturing and his takes really do lean towards the younger generation. Which is sorely missed across the board in these car shows.

Need more Sabine but theres still a lot more season to go.

so far this year I have laughed far more in these first four episodes than I have the entire GT season. Love the old guys but I think Top Gear has me at this point.

I think it more has to do with Chris Harris' love of cars and the fact he's probably the most legit driver I watch in any format (Motor Trends Race driver not withstanding of course but they're bias amazes me) makes for a better presentation.

And honestly, LeBlanc was made for a show like this. Took a season and a half to get there but he's there.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:35 AM   #608
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't started the latest season of Top Gear, but I have been slowly slogging my way through the 2nd season of the Grand Tour. It isn't really hooking me. I'm almost at the Canada episode, which I'm am looking forward to, but aside from that there haven't been too many memorable bits. Still not bad TV, and a few laughs of course, but dare I say it, I think that the geezers are perhaps running out of steam.

I appreciate your thoughts on Top Gear. It was definitely showing signs of improvement last season, so it nice to know that there is an upward trajectory happening.

Maybe the departure of Clarkson, Hammond, and May was more of a blip for the BBC, rather than a catastrophe. I wonder what the viewership looks like pre and post-dinner fight.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:46 PM   #609
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

LeBlanc leaving after the next season.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/05/31/...eave-top-gear/

Dammit! The show had finally it it's stride and exceeded TG IMHO. Harris and LeBlanc had great chemistry.

Too big a star to be off filming all the time I guess. The solution - make Harris the frontman of the show. He's the real deal.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:59 PM   #610
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
LeBlanc leaving after the next season.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/05/31/...eave-top-gear/

Dammit! The show had finally it it's stride and exceeded TG IMHO. Harris and LeBlanc had great chemistry.

Too big a star to be off filming all the time I guess. The solution - make Harris the frontman of the show. He's the real deal.
Yup!

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:47 PM   #611
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, that show is just hemorrhaging hosts.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-01-2018, 01:02 PM   #612
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does this mean they have room for Mr Bean now?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:24 PM   #613
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

They’ve announced the two new hosts. I wasn’t bothered that LeBlanc was leaving but it sucks that Rory won’t be on the main show. And to have them replaced with these pretty boys doesn’t impress me. There are tons of talented car guys in England. Henry Catchpole would be a great fit with Chris.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.theg...t-bbc-top-gear
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2018, 01:07 PM   #614
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't mind Matt LeBlanc, and rather liked Rory. I'm willing to give these new guys a chance.

Funnily enough, after seeing the two seasons of The Grand Tour, I actually like the "new" Top Gear more. Sure, Clarkson, Hammond, and May have their funny moments, but I am finding it to be more forced and contrived than ever. I know that's their formula, but it has gone stale and I feel that the trio peaked a while ago.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2018, 02:29 PM   #615
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I didn't mind Matt LeBlanc, and rather liked Rory. I'm willing to give these new guys a chance.

Funnily enough, after seeing the two seasons of The Grand Tour, I actually like the "new" Top Gear more. Sure, Clarkson, Hammond, and May have their funny moments, but I am finding it to be more forced and contrived than ever. I know that's their formula, but it has gone stale and I feel that the trio peaked a while ago.
I think they've just gone to far with the forced jokes and humour. What made the Golden Age of Top Gear great (Season 8 to 13) was that it was still a car show first and the jokes were just thrown in along the way. Now it's the opposite
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:07 PM   #616
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I'm willing to give these new guys a chance.
I will too. Hopefully they're solid car guys and they didn't just hire them for their personalities. Leave that to the Grand Tour.

Last edited by DownInFlames; 10-22-2018 at 03:10 PM.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:49 PM   #617
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

New Trailer for Season 27 is out:

Sigh... looks like they are trying to ape Grand Tour and go down the "entertainment" route vs a more "car guy" route. Why else would you replace Rory and LeBlanc (both serious car guys) with a former cricketer and a comedian? (admittedly LeBlanc did quit)

At least Harris knows his stuff still.

All this after a season where LeBlanc / Harris / Rory were gelling well.
Expectations are low...
Old 05-29-2019, 08:56 PM   #618
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

That looks....terrible.

They probably should have stuck with their format. However ironic that it was designed by Jeremy Clarkson. They did put a lot of money and effort into legally protecting it.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:41 AM   #619
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I like the new Top Gear
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 04:58 PM   #620
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^ I liked the second episode as well.

I think Chris Harris is really funny.

Is no one else watching this?

Last edited by Flash Walken; 06-25-2019 at 05:01 PM.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote