Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-20-2017, 09:36 AM   #81
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was it done over Skype?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:37 AM   #82
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Was it done over Skype?
Nope, but apparently it was done in a public place because Doan is known for his outbursts and they wanted to make sure there wasn't an incident.

Doan himself during an interview yesterday said he shook the GM's hand, thanked him and left because he didn't want to do anything drastic (or words to that effect).

http://arizonasports.com/story/11535...ignified-exit/

Last edited by Toonage; 06-20-2017 at 09:45 AM.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:37 PM   #83
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

They seem pissed about how it was handled but I'm not sure why. Their suggestions for doing it better seem to be wait until after the draft (why? how would this help?) have the owner in attendance (okay, but would that really have made it any easier) and offer him a front office role right away (meaningless since he wants to play another year anyway).
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:45 PM   #84
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doan has no place in Calgary.

The only two vets that I wouldn't hate Calgary acquiring would be Iginla or Jagr. Iginla because of his history here, and Jagr because.. it is fricken Jagr. Both of them bring something tangible to this team - they can both still produce decently given their age. Doan I feel doesn't. Iginla could at least function as an enforcer anyways.

Neither Iginla nor Jagr are likely to be sought after by Calgary. If Doan ends up here, I might just boycott the year.

Ok, who am I kidding. I wouldn't boycott it, but I would spew unreadable posts on this forum after every single game. Don't do this to me Calgary. Don't turn an overly optimistic fan into an extremely irritatingly pessimistic one.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:21 PM   #85
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Nope, but apparently it was done in a public place because Doan is known for his outbursts and they wanted to make sure there wasn't an incident.

Doan himself during an interview yesterday said he shook the GM's hand, thanked him and left because he didn't want to do anything drastic (or words to that effect).

Reading that the only complaint I can see is that the Owner didnt come to Breakfast, which, of course he didnt thats usually not a thing that happens, and that they didnt give Doan a head's up.

It doesnt appear that Chayka stuck him with the bill or anything, but hes a 40 year old hockey player coming off a terrible season and not under contract.

The only transgression I can see here is that they didnt just tell Doan sooner, but based on his last season one would think that this writing was on the wall.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:26 PM   #86
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:

Doan picked the location.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:27 PM   #87
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a badly abrupt end to long and pretty devoted career. You want to keep that guy happy and part of the org for what grass roots you can muster in that market. Why didn't they sign him for a year with proviso that half way through year they kick him upstairs if it's not working out? It's not like he is taking a spot from anyone legit.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:29 PM   #88
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
Doan picked the location.
"On Saturday, Chayka invited Doan to breakfast at First Watch in Scottsdale."
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:29 PM   #89
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

There are much bigger changes in play in AZ.. Going to be a massive summer.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:31 PM   #90
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
"On Saturday, Chayka invited Doan to breakfast at First Watch in Scottsdale."
Not what I've heard, but a moot point. There's honestly no earlier time they could've told Doan. The ownership transfer needed to be completed. If it were up to the Canadian owners/IA he'd be offered a contract.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:41 PM   #91
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
My prediction:

IF Troy Brouwer gets selected by Vegas, then Shane Doan will sign a 1 year contract with the Flames.

I'm not saying it's what I want, but the connection to our management and the perceived loss of leadership if Brouwer makes his exit would be viewed as something that needs to be replaced.
I think this makes a lot of sense. Rather it be Iggy but that ship appears to have sailed. Also would prefer Jagr, Thornton, Marleau, or Williams.

Doan on the 4th line with Lazar and Jankowski would be okay but then no room for Stajan
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:19 PM   #92
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doan couldn't have been expecting to be re-signed or at least he couldn't have been surprised it didn't happen.

The only way they could have been be "nicer" IMO, is to very privately tell him they are not interested, but that they will tell the public they are still looking at him (which puts him in a better spot with other teams). Then they can, at the end of the day, say they couldn't agree on terms or something like that.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 02:25 PM   #93
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Meh, Doan should of left that place years ago...
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stanley For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 02:28 PM   #94
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Yotes owe him nothing, IMO. Couldn't tell him much earlier, given the expansion draft and other roster changes, but at least it gives him a chance to sell his wares as a UFA without the faint hope of Arizona coming around. Would it have been more "classy" to offer him league minimum? I assume he would have a hissy fit either way.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:31 PM   #95
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Flames should stay really far away from this. I agree with others, there is no way we should be bringing in a guy like this at his age. He doesn't bring anything extra that we don't already have (veterans to help mentor) and he is slow and will take a spot away from a youngster.

I am sure there isn't any "nice" way to tell Doan that the franchise doesn't want him back again. Are they supposed to keep him around, pay him a large salary based on previous experience and not likely on his current performance because it is the nice thing to do? It is a business and sometimes these things have to happen.

If Iggy was never traded away, I would likely be saying the same thing if he wasn't as effective or filling a role the team needed anymore. I guess the Coyotes feel he isn't doing what they want or filling a particular role they need filled.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:34 PM   #96
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I agree, Coyotes don't owe him anything anymore. They gave him millions of dollars, a rare career longevity with one team (in a nice place no doubt), and plenty of opportunity to succeed. If he chose to stay and not explore free agency, that's on Shane. And the fact that the Coyotes want him to stick around in an office role is probably the dream job of many NHL'ers at the end of their career.

Doan should be so thankful for the opportunity.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:42 PM   #97
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess the Coyotes could have told Doan before the end of the playing season that they didn't intend to bring him back. That would have been a nice gesture. He would have been able to do his victory laps in front of the fans, etc.

But this is the first time Doan announced publicly that he would consider waiving his no trade clause to go to a contender, and when there was zero interest he maybe should have seen the writing on the wall.

Doan could have initiated that conversation about whether he was in the Coyotes plans for next season as well. It seems like he just assumed that he would be the one to call the shots on his retirement. Seems like a little bit of a lack of self-awareness on his part.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:58 PM   #98
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
There are much bigger changes in play in AZ.. Going to be a massive summer.
highly doubt it...they will probably pay more players not to play for them
Old 06-20-2017, 03:59 PM   #99
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
But this is the first time Doan announced publicly that he would consider waiving his no trade clause to go to a contender, and when there was zero interest he maybe should have seen the writing on the wall.
An insider on the radio recently said Doan would only consider going to SJ or PIT (IIRC) at last deadline and the offers for him weren't from those teams. Saying there was zero interest in him at the deadline may be a false statement
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:05 PM   #100
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I didn't know Doan was well known for his outbursts, when has he had one?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote