Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-16-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default iPhone/iTunes question

I dind't really think thise fit in any of the other iPhone threads, but if a mod disagrees, you can go ahead and move it.

So i've lost my iPhone 3GS on Fido with about 28 months left on my contract which sucks, but I guess i've come to terms with it. I had another phone and sim card so was able to transfer everything over for no cost.

My question has to do with the content in iTunes.

• I only plugged my iPhone into iTunes maybe once a month. I had a couple albums downloaded on my iPhone that were not updated to iTunes. Is there any way to get those albums now without the phone?
  • Is there any way to view my backup files in iTunes, mainly so I can look up some phone numbers I don't have in my old phone?
  • When I was talking to the CSR, he said I could purchase a new iPhone 4 (32gb) for $649 and they could give me a $250 rebate. Does anyone have and additional information on that? I thought he said it was a rebate because I lost the phone, but i'm not sure that makes sense.
Thanks for the help!
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I've bought an ap for my iPhone and then tried to download it on iTunes (after restoring the iphone and losing all data) it said I'd already purchased that ap and could download it for free...

Not sure if it works that way for music too or not.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have heard that Apple has allowed some people to redownload music that they have purchased in the past but in my opinion, it would be easier and faster to acquire them by other means. While not exactly by the book, you did pay for the albums.

iTunes doesn't keep address book information. That would have synced to your address book on your computer. Windows address book, outlook, OS X address book etc. I can't remember if it os set to sync by default though.

That's not a bad deal for an iPhone 4.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2010, 11:33 PM   #4
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Contact iTunes support/Apple support and they might be able to help you with the albums -- I had a similar problem (purchased an album on my iPhone, but the download failed midway) and they were able "reset" the download status.

There is some software available which will allow you to view your iPhone backup files, I have only used iPhone Backup Extractor (Mac OS X), but there are other tools out there as well.

The CSR seems to have quoted you the "standard" new customer price for the phone. If you have been with the provider with a long time, see if you can get a better deal from the Loyalty&Retention folks -- you might find more info on phone related deals at howardforums.com

Good luck...
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ah123 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the responses guys.

I will look and see if I try to download it through iTunes again if it will say that I purchased it and download it. Problem is, I can't remember everything I downloaded.

Interesting about calling apple support to have them reset the download. That might work.

Yeah, very true I could acquire the album though other means. I may do that if the other solution doesn't work, for the ones I remember anyway.

Hmm, I will have to check if it synced to the address book. I'm on Vista so I will check when I get home. I know I didn't sync it on purpose.

I will look at that software as well.

I'm wary about retentions. I already went down that road once when I got my original iPhone. They had this big speal that they weren't supposed to give me the phone for the new customer price, yada yada.

They also said I could buy out my contract, but I would be at the maximum, which is $200. I thought it would be more than that. It would be worth it to buy it out and restructure my plan if I weren't going to get a smart phone based on the fact I'm paying $25/month for data on a phone that can't use data. $25/month * 28 months is $700.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

If/when you get your next iPhone and you use Gmail (it's the best out there) you should set up your phone to sync it with your Google account. You can sync your contacts and your calendar. I set it up when I got the iPhone 4 and it worked great. Set it up on my iPad and it synced everything instantly. It's backed up with Google if you lose your phone and it's super easy to get those contacts back or into a new phone.

http://www.google.com/mobile/sync/
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2010, 01:37 PM   #7
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will keep that in mind. I use gmail so that would work for sure.

I found some info on the $250 rebate.

Quote:
Customers who have completed a 2- or 3-year Fido agreement
The standard Fido hardware upgrade enables customers with any Fido mobile device who have completed a 2- or 3-year Fido Agreement to upgrade to an iPhone 4 16GB at $159 (a $490 discount off the no-term price) and iPhone 4 32GB at $269 (a $480 discount off the no-term price), each with a 3-year Fido Agreement and Data Add-on(customers can always refer to fido.ca or in store for promotional offers before current term expiry). You may use your FidoDollars towards the purchase price.
Fido customers who activated or upgraded to iPhone with a Fido Agreement on or before December 31, 2008 are also eligible for this pricing as soon as the iPhone 4 is available for sale. Please click here to check your hardware upgrade eligibility and your Fido iPhone Special Discount amount. Full conditions below, see in-store for details

iPhone customers who entered a term on or before June 7, 2010 (the day Apple announced iPhone 4 at the Worldwide Developers conference) but who do not qualify for the above offer.
iPhone customers who entered into a Fido Agreement on or before June 7, 2010, but who do not qualify for the above offer are eligible to upgrade to iPhone 4 16 GB at $399 (a $250 discount off the no-term price) or iPhone 4 32GB at $499 (a $250 discount off the no-term price), with a 3-year Agreement and 3-year Data Add-on. You may use your FidoDollars towards the purchase price. Please click here to check your hardware upgrade eligibility and your Fido iPhone Special Discount amount. Full conditions below, see in-store for details.

Customers who entered a term after June 7, 2010.
Fido customers have the flexibility to upgrade to any new device at any time at the device-only price (no term). The no term price for the 16GB iPhone 4 is $649 and for the 32GB iPhone 4 is $ 749. Full conditions below, see in-store for details.
I fall into the second category, so I think this is where the rebate comes into play. I asked them if there was a time limit on this rebate, and the CSR said he couldn't see one as of yet.

The CSR must have quoted me the wrong prices though, or maybe I didn't hear him correctly because I could swear he said $649 for a 32gb - $250 rebate. This setup is $749-$250=$449. Yikes.

I remember now why they didn't want to sell me the iPhone at the discounted price. it was because I didn't get it from Fido. It was an unlocked phone I bought off the internet. They will only give you the discount if you bought the previous phone from them and you re-up your 3 year contract when you buy the new one.

Last edited by worth; 08-17-2010 at 01:39 PM.