Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2010, 11:05 AM   #21
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

He already starts sniping at the first two replies. Or was it the lack of replies?

Tight underwear? Too much espresso?

Steve Jobs' demon seed?

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #22
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

...or is it instead, that you can't create a thread on this board about something without the first 3 posts being sarcastic drivebys?

Anyway. It's not that big of a deal. It's not like I expect this comic thing to change the universe... I just thought it was kind of interesting, as I hadn't really heard of anything like that before. And it's not like there aren't people in the world who read comic books and play video games. To act like this is all some kind of ######ed paradoxical concept is really just asinine at best.

I don't care if someone doesn't like something else, just don't be fake about it. It doesn't take a degree in rocket surgery to connect comic books and video games together.

(And no, this doesn't make me a fanboy. It just makes me a guy trying to have a conversation.)

Last edited by FanIn80; 08-13-2010 at 11:52 AM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:03 PM   #23
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
...or is it instead, that you can't create a thread on this board about something without the first 3 posts being sarcastic drivebys?

Anyway. It's not that big of a deal. It's not like I expect this comic thing to change the universe... I just thought it was kind of interesting, as I hadn't really heard of anything like that before. And it's not like there aren't people in the world who read comic books and play video games. To act like this is all some kind of ######ed paradoxical concept is really just asinine at best.

I don't care if someone doesn't like something else, just don't be fake about it. It doesn't take a degree in rocket surgery to connect comic books and video games together.

(And no, this doesn't make me a fanboy. It just makes me a guy trying to have a conversation.)
Even if the first few posts were made with some humour/sarcasm, they were not directed at you until you bring up the point that videogames and comics naturally go together or start defending the idea so vehemently. You have to stop taking things personally. It seems the majority of people in this thread really just do find this idea just absurd, a real WTF moment as it almost reads like a joke about how to further celebrate videogame self-absorbed culture. It may just be indicative of the attitudes of this particular community.

You keep saying you're just a guy trying to have a conversation about cool stuff but the moment people don't agree that something is cool (usually an Apple related product or news item), you take it as a personal affront. That's not an objective conversation. People have different tastes and opinions. On a general forum like CP, many people simply will not agree with your tastes or sensibilities and find your idea of "what's cool" to be baffling and vice versa.

You are arguing that videogames and comics go together but you are conflating pop-culture medium and content. Comics are art, literature, narrative. They are stories that are new to you, a novel experience when first picked up to be read and enjoyed like a new book. A videogame comic in this context is nothing but a computer-generated gallery of screenshots of you playing a game that you have already completed. A celebration in pictures of your adventures sitting on the couch. It's like owning a DVD of a movie and then buying a book of pictures of the movie you just watched with speech bubbles tacked onto it when you could just watch the DVD over again. It's pointless for most games and quite possibly mind numbingly repetitious unless the application has control of the game engine in real time and can render alternate camera angles aside from the default player view and remove the HUD/GUI. If that app was really that powerful, then it could be on to something but I don't see that happening or developers allowing access in that manner.

This is just my opinion but I'm someone who never watches a movie twice unless it is a really good movie and the same goes for most games and comics as well. I rarely watch/read/play anything twice and have absolutely no desire to revisit things because there is so much more stuff out there to consume and too little time. There may be a market for this sort of thing for people that like watching videogame replays of themselves. We'll call it iMLazy or iNarcissim. Who knows.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 08-13-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #24
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

I.... don't follow. Why would I want to write a comic book while i'm playing a video game?
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:29 PM   #25
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
I.... don't follow. Why would I want to write a comic book while i'm playing a video game?
I think what it's meant to do is give you a book at the end, so you can re-read the story that you just went through... with your actions and decisions included.

It's neat, and it's something I hadn't really considered before. Something like playing through Mass Effect 2 and then when I finish the game (which is quite long and completely story-driven), I can read the whole thing on my phone.

I get that it's geeky... in fact, it sounds incredibly geeky now that I type the whole process out. I don't think it's something that would keep me coming back for more after the first time I check it out... but it's still a pretty neat idea.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:33 PM   #26
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I think what it's meant to do is give you a book at the end, so you can re-read the story that you just went through... with your actions and decisions included.

It's neat, and it's something I hadn't really considered before. Something like playing through Mass Effect 2 and then when I finish the game (which is quite long and completely story-driven), I can read the whole thing on my phone.

I get that it's geeky... in fact, it sounds incredibly geeky now that I type the whole process out. I don't think it's something that would keep me coming back for more after the first time I check it out... but it's still a pretty neat idea.
I guess the closest analogy is like going on vacation while a computer somehow takes all your pictures for you and arranges a slideshow for you at the end complete with speech bubbles and captions.

Except that it's of you and videogame you just spent 20 hours playing. "Oh look honey, here's me shooting that one guy in the face. And here's where I made a decision to have sex with the blue alien. This part is where I died because I spilled mountain dew all over myself and choked on my Cheetos"
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:36 PM   #27
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I guess the closest analogy is like going on vacation while a computer somehow takes all your pictures for you and arranges a slideshow for you at the end complete with speech bubbles and captions.

Except that it's of you and videogame you just spent 20 hours playing. "Oh look honey, here's me shooting that one guy in the face. And here's where I made a decision to have sex with the blue alien. This part is where I died because I spilled mountain dew all over myself and choked on my Cheetos"
Yeah, it's kinda gimmicky to think about now. But who knows what it could evolve into. That's probably the more interesting part, now that I think about it.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:55 PM   #28
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alltherage View Post
You seriously need to go into apple detox. Every time you make a thread about apple and someone says anything that isn't absolute praise and worship for apple you seem to take it to offense, and desperately back whatever the thread's about.
The real question is, is would he even care about the comic book thing if it wasn't an Apple idea. If it was another company who came up with it it wouldn't have been posted.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2010, 08:59 PM   #29
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
The real question is, if this thread was created by someone other than him... would I have even bothered to open it?
There. That's more accurate.