Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-08-2009, 04:09 PM   #21
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
Do you care about Internet speed? Shaw is so much faster than Telus it's not even funny. Think Usain Bolt vs anyone else right now.
Yeah, I just spoke with a buddy regarding this issue because he had Telus TV for about a year a while ago. He said quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
I hated every moment of that garbage. It's cheaper because nobody wants it. Supply and Demand. I had non-stop tech issues, image artifacting and plain blacking out every ten seconds. HD is even worse. Lots of down time for service. It's like watching a flash video.
Not exactly a glowing review hahahaha.
alltherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:17 PM   #22
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe you could get the same deal with Telus satellite TV. It's actually Bell satellite but the picture would be better that way, although that still doesn't solve the internet question.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #23
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Do you care about Internet speed? Shaw is so much faster than Telus it's not even funny. Think Usain Bolt vs anyone else right now.
Telus without the TV option is pretty good high speed. Their High Speed Turbo offering is fast, consistent, and cap free. You can't get the High Speed Turbo and Telus TV though - going for TV means you only get their standard high speed, which is definitely slower than Shaw's standard internet package.

Last edited by sclitheroe; 09-08-2009 at 07:31 PM.
sclitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:27 PM   #24
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Run from Telus TV, honestly.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:33 PM   #25
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
I have Telus' basic high speed internet- just switched from Shaw in the last year. Yes, Shaw wins the speed race hands down. But I really only notice it when downloading huge files. Day to day surfing of CP is pretty much the same.

So if you do a lot of downloading, you won't like the Telus basic high speed. If it's just regular surfing it isn't a deal breaker.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:08 PM   #26
TheU
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

TELUS and Shaw have these speeds:

Shaw 7.5, 15, and 25 (25 is only for the most geek of us)
TELUS has 1.5, 3.0, 6.0 and 15. The speeds depends on how far you are from the wire center.

Bottom line is , yes, during non peak usage hours shaw blows telus away. big time. but during peak usage when most of us are surfing, the shaw 15 is about the same as telus 15 (dont be fooled in speed reports by speed boost, which really masks the real shaw speeds)

for most people, telus is the best answer as its cheaper. why is it cheaper? the nature of the technology.

Oh and as far as TELUS TV goes... go with satelite. the IP TV is very young still and ... problematic. One thing that is a nice bonus for TELUS TV tho, is, all channels are digital and look good. On shaw, anything from 1-50 or so is still analog no matter what box you use.. and it looks like ass.

Last edited by TheU; 09-19-2009 at 07:11 PM.
TheU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:13 PM   #27
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I watch very little TV, though I pay for it because when I want it, I want it. I had Telus TV for awhile last year, but it met it's end one sunday last december when it crapped out during week 16 of NFL. I just about lost my mind that I was engrossed in a few games and the GD TV just decided to give me black squares at random intervals all day.

Unless they've upgraded their equipment, and downgraded their facist contract regime, I'd run far, far away.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:43 AM   #28
krazycanuck
Won the Worst Son Ever Award

Exp:

I'm currently with Shaw, I have my own HD PVR in one room, have analog cable in the other room. I also have the regular high speed internet with Shaw. Aside from occasional audio dropouts with Shaw on the HD channels, I have few complaints. I will also occasionally get picture dropouts as well (these are much more rare and without pixelization, so I think it's an issue with the channel feed, not a shaw issue). I'm a happy camper

My girlfriend keeps bugging me about getting Telus TV and high speed internet. The price when we factor in everything from the HD-PVR rental (not doing a contract) to the added $15 for HD brings the price to about the same for both services.

My questions are: Does anyone have any experience with the 15mb telus internet? When you're running an HDTV and another sd tv, what is the actual speed?

Is there noticeable pixelation or sound dropoffs, or audio sync issue using Telus TV?

Any other issues? The more recent the experiences the better! Thanks!
krazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:05 AM   #29
Yellefan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've been on TelusTV for the past 2 months and it has been absolutely flawless! I am on mediaroom so it was an automatic bump in internet speed to 15mbps-- I hit very close to that with no TVs on. With 1 HD feed on I drop down to about 11mbps and with 2 HD and 1 SD feed it drops to about 4mbps which is still fine for me. When my installer was here he mentioned that in the next few months they would be upping speeds to 25mbps for TTV customers, but I won't believe it until it happens.

Picture quality is excellent (I have had shaw and bell and I would say the HD PQ is far superior to what I was getting with Shaw and I can't say it is any better or any worse than bell)

The whole home PVR is awesome too-- I have 1 PVR in the living room that can be programmed and accessed from the box in the bedroom so if I'm watching hockey and the wife suddenly has an urge to watch the Vampire Diaries that she recorded I can now send her upstairs to enjoy her show-- no problem!

I have had no pixelization or sound drop-offs with my system, but also realize that you may or may not qualify for mediaroom-- I have a couple of friends who are stuck on the Minerva system who aren't as happy as me and have had some issues so I'd make sure you qualify for Mediaroom before you commit. The mediaroom interface is far superior to both Shaw and Bell's interface in my opinion as well, it's quick (almost instant channel changes), intuitive to use and nice to look at-- it is basically a Microsoft software product though so it does require the occasional reboot (I've had to reboot twice in 2 months)

I give Telus TV 9.5 / 10.

Pros - Cheap, Easy to use, Whole Home PVR, Upgraded internet speeds
Cons - Slows internet down the more tvs you have on

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazycanuck View Post
I'm currently with Shaw, I have my own HD PVR in one room, have analog cable in the other room. I also have the regular high speed internet with Shaw. Aside from occasional audio dropouts with Shaw on the HD channels, I have few complaints. I will also occasionally get picture dropouts as well (these are much more rare and without pixelization, so I think it's an issue with the channel feed, not a shaw issue). I'm a happy camper

My girlfriend keeps bugging me about getting Telus TV and high speed internet. The price when we factor in everything from the HD-PVR rental (not doing a contract) to the added $15 for HD brings the price to about the same for both services.

My questions are: Does anyone have any experience with the 15mb telus internet? When you're running an HDTV and another sd tv, what is the actual speed?

Is there noticeable pixelation or sound dropoffs, or audio sync issue using Telus TV?

Yellefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:17 AM   #30
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazycanuck View Post

Before you switch, call shaw's loyalty department. I called to say I was probably moving to telus as they were cheaper and promising me a second HD receiver as I have two HD TV's.

The girl put me on hold for a few minutes and then came back and gave me $30 off my bill a month, as well she gave me a free rental of another HD Receiver/PVR for 3 years... which I assume it's a 3 year "rental" just so I don't up and leave tomorrow and take that with me.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:40 AM   #31
Yellefan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

on that note, when I called telus I told them I was thinking of switching from shaw and was put through to their "winback" department. They offered me phone for $15 a month and tv and Internet for $10 a month each for a year plus 1st month free on all three. You do have some negotiating room with both companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Before you switch, call shaw's loyalty department. I called to say I was probably moving to telus as they were cheaper and promising me a second HD receiver as I have two HD TV's.

The girl put me on hold for a few minutes and then came back and gave me $30 off my bill a month, as well she gave me a free rental of another HD Receiver/PVR for 3 years... which I assume it's a 3 year "rental" just so I don't up and leave tomorrow and take that with me.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:02 PM   #32
Fobby
Scoring Winger

Exp:

but then Telus would want you to sign a contract...

who wants a
Fobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:29 PM   #33
Yellefan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I didn't sign any contracts... They only make you sign a contract of you want a "free" stb rental. If you buy the boxes outright or pay the monthly rental fee then you're free to leave at any time.

Jeeze, I'm starting to sound like a telus salesman. I'm just clarifying though as I keep hearing all of these anti-telus posts such as forced contracts and poor customer service but honestly I have been very pleasantly surprised with everything so far! After using mediaroom I don't think I could ever go back to shaw or bell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fobby View Post
but then Telus would want you to sign a contract...

who wants a
Old 05-17-2010, 03:13 PM   #34
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've never experienced Telus TV/Internet, but I think Telus TV/internet product must have improved by leaps and bounds and that's why customers are able to negotiate better deals with Shaw and/or vice versa through Telus.

2 years ago if I had called Shaw and said I was thinking of switching to Telus I probably would have gotten laughed at... now both companies are doing their best to gain or retain new or existing customers.

Ain't competition grand?
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:29 PM   #35
puckluck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Telus TV sucks balls. I love so many things about it and it would be a great service if it never froze 5 times a day and I had to wait 5 minutes for it to reset.

I started this thread a while ago http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=89207
puckluck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puckluck For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2010, 02:50 AM   #36
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck View Post
Telus TV sucks balls. I love so many things about it and it would be a great service if it never froze 5 times a day and I had to wait 5 minutes for it to reset.

I started this thread a while ago http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=89207
Have you tried calling Tech support? I did yesterday and apparently it was a reprogramming error. I haven't gotten a chance to see if it works fully now. But before only one TV would fully work and the other two would have a black screen. If it did happen to work, changing channels on one tv would cause the other tv to not work. I think I have had tech support come in over 5+ times and the problem keeps popping up.

For anyone out there, stay away from Telus! Their tech support is horrid it is not even funny. The people on the phone sound much more knowledgeable than the people that come to your house. Even that, I had 3 different techs come in and wire it differently calling the other tech a ######. So when my contract is over I'm switching ASAP. I'm even tempted to cancel early and suck up the costs and actually enjoy having consistent cable
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:05 AM   #37
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooohooo View Post
Have you tried calling Tech support? I did yesterday and apparently it was a reprogramming error. I haven't gotten a chance to see if it works fully now. But before only one TV would fully work and the other two would have a black screen. If it did happen to work, changing channels on one tv would cause the other tv to not work. I think I have had tech support come in over 5+ times and the problem keeps popping up.

For anyone out there, stay away from Telus! Their tech support is horrid it is not even funny. The people on the phone sound much more knowledgeable than the people that come to your house. Even that, I had 3 different techs come in and wire it differently calling the other tech a ######. So when my contract is over I'm switching ASAP. I'm even tempted to cancel early and suck up the costs and actually enjoy having consistent cable
This.

You should not have to sign a contract, find out the service is not what you had come to expect from your previous provider and then have to wait a year + to change back without penalty.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #38
Top_Prospect
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You don't have to sign a contract with TELUS. That's a persons own choice. You just won't get the lower price and any free stuff with it.

It's either no contract or a 1/2/3 year deal. They like to call it a "Price Protection Plan" I believe.
Top_Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:31 PM   #39
Fobby
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So when summing up the comments from different posters,

Shaw is better, Telus is cheaper.

You don't need to sign a contract with telus, unless you want the lowest price.

So what is the price different between Shaw and Telus if you were to not sign a contract with telus?
Fobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:34 PM   #40
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fobby View Post
So when summing up the comments from different posters,

Shaw is better, Telus is cheaper.

You don't need to sign a contract with telus, unless you want the lowest price.

So what is the price different between Shaw and Telus if you were to not sign a contract with telus?
I'd just like to point out that Telus isn't necessarily cheaper.....all depends on your negotiation skill. I ended up with Tier-3 cable, HD Feeds (movies and sports) and HD-PVR rental for a year.....$52/mth. Just for perspective, that's $5/mth less than TelusTV was for me.

I don't know if this new Telus "MediaRoom" fixed the plethora of problems, but given the horrible experience I had with TelusTV (from product to service), I would gladly pay double for Shaw's service.
WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote