Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2016, 03:39 PM   #21
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw nothing wrong with the truck scene.

I'm just happy so many people love it as much as me
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:40 PM   #22
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
#### I'm old
Yeah I still remember going to see this when it came out.

Solid movie, IMO.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:45 PM   #23
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
What special Effects don't stand up? I much prefer the effects in T2 to the animated movies that pose as live action with cgi films today.
Oh for sure, it's way better than any greenscreen movie ever made. I guess the "dated" thing, for me at least, is because it looked so amazing at the time. Like nothing else we'd ever seen.

25 years on, anything is going to look a little dated. Such a great movie though, that it doesn't matter. Probably why we haven't heard any lame rumors of a remake too. I hope.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:48 PM   #24
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I saw nothing wrong with the truck scene.

I'm just happy so many people love it as much as me
T2 is always a top 5 flick for me.

That first punch out in the mall hallway is great.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2016, 05:50 PM   #25
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
Oh for sure, it's way better than any greenscreen movie ever made. I guess the "dated" thing, for me at least, is because it looked so amazing at the time. Like nothing else we'd ever seen.

25 years on, anything is going to look a little dated. Such a great movie though, that it doesn't matter. Probably why we haven't heard any lame rumors of a remake too. I hope.
Maybe in Terminator if they remade the fully walking metal skeleton scene and that's it. T2 needs no enhancements AT ALL.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:27 PM   #26
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I think it is the greatest action movie ever made. T1 has aged horribly, there are very few modern movies in the same stratosphere, maybe a couple of the Marvel movies or Fury Road. Not much else compares. The first Die Hard is up there but is a very different type of action movie with a much smaller scope and scale.

Matrix, Indiana Jones, Aliens. Not a ton of other contenders IMO.
Absolutely none of the marvel movies even come close.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2016, 08:32 PM   #27
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard Boiled and Police Story are right up there with best action movies ever made too. I think about 40 people die in the first 10 minutes of Hard Boiled
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2016, 08:44 PM   #28
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
I was 10 when this movie came out. For some reason I remember going to see Naked Gun 2 1/2 with my brother and cousin, after that was over we all snuck into T2 and thought it was the greatest movie ever.
I was 10 as well, and saw it at Market Mall with my friend and his mom. Cant recall what the rating was, but Im pretty sure we werent supposed to be in there even with an adult. Im guessing she just bought the tickets and we sort of snuck in.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:29 PM   #29
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I remember the Guns N Roses video that was in heavy rotation in conjunction with the movie. I still laugh thinking about the end of it when the Terminator was weighing his options and his assessment was "Axl Rose : Waste of Ammo". (I always read that in Arnie's voice)
Old 07-04-2016, 11:26 PM   #30
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

The original Terminator was better and you people are high. The effects were low-rent, but Michael Biehn as Reese killed it, just like he did later in Aliens. Not that Terminator 2 wasn't great, but Arnie's "acting" is far better suited to an emotionless killer cyborg than a hero, and the cringeworthy ending with him descending into the molten pit is nowhere near as good as Sarah Connor finally crushing the first Terminator.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:41 AM   #31
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I would agree that the original terminator for me was better because it was a very smart action movie. Michael Biehn was perfect and so was Linda Hamilton. She played a softer girl thrown into an impossible situation who was forced to toughen up.

It was also the beginning of the end of the simple timeline of the terminator series before things became really complex.

Because in theory when the terminator lost in the first movie, the future was still going to happen. Judgement Day, the Resistance, the two time travelers. There was a whole feeling of doomed eventuality to the story line.

Also Arnold was perfect in that role. He was cold and ruthless and didn't speak a lot.

Yeah the effects haven't aged well, but they didn't need a lot of effects.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the second Terminator movie. It was more of a popcorn action film. But now I look back on it, and I can almost say that the first terminator movie to me was the better flick.

I think the second terminator went too cute with Arnold as the hero and father figure. He was too quirky. The absorbing of the sayings of John Conner, the standing on one leg, the not killing anyone. Looking back on it, it came across as forced and really unnecessary. John Conner was really unlikeable in this movie, and maybe its partly due to Edward Furlong just giving off this vibe of being someone unlikeable because of his upbringing. But I still remember thinking of him as a vicious person. When the two guys came over to help him out and he completely turned on them and sic'd the terminator on them, my first thought was that the leader of mankind is a a$$ hole.

Linda Hamilton was too buff, and too crazy and too angry. She seemed so determined to take on the inevitable instead of being frightened of it. The whole "There is no fate then what we make" was pretty much 80's wall street BS jingoism. Just the fact that there were two new terminators in her world again kind of speaks to that. Terminator 2 was also when they started really confusing the time line and causing so many temporal questions that it almost felt like they kept changing it midstream in the writing to support the story line and it became nonsensical.

Arnold at the time was a good action star, but he couldn't carry the vulnerability and lack of understanding that the Terminator really needed. And the lowering into the metal almost ruined the move.

But I leave you with what happened if the Terminator had survived.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2016, 10:25 AM   #32
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I watched T2 on VHS (letterbox formatted I remember, so it must have been something special) at my friend's house when I was a little kid.

I didn't get to watch T1 until maybe 10+ years later and I remember it completely underwhelmed me. That's probably because of the order I saw it in and because I didn't grow up with it. There was so much hype and mystique built up from the glimpses and references to it in T2 that it could never have lived up to my imagination.

I do wish however, that I could have experienced T2 in the right order, and not known of the twist that Arnold was going to be the hero this time. Because I didn't watch T2, I didn't feel nor understand Sarah Connor's fear of the Terminator as it walked out of the elevator at the mental hospital.

T2 is a movie that remains amazing because of how it changed culture and informed culture. Everybody has been quoting that movie for 25 years and James Cameron did an amazing thing with how he wrote that film and created so many memorable moments.

If you look at a modern Marvel film, there's nothing to quote. There's nothing to imitate. Hell, there isn't even a coherent theme music to any of them. That's the biggest failing of those films.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:15 PM   #33
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love both movies. Maybe I love T2 more because I was exposed to it more and because I saw it before T1. But both are super solid and Arnie is a legend in both.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:17 AM   #34
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Second best action movie ever.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:34 AM   #35
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would prefer to go back 25 years in time versus watching this movie T2. Not terrible but certainly within the realm of time travel, not what you would do.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:09 AM   #36
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

T2 was the first time an Office building was acquired just to blow it up. Yup, they literally blew that office building. Practical effects FTW! THAT was beyond cool.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:38 AM   #37
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Be Quite Honest View Post
T2 was the first time an Office building was acquired just to blow it up. Yup, they literally blew that office building. Practical effects FTW! THAT was beyond cool.
I did not know that. And I concur, that is cool.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:44 AM   #38
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

T1 is almost a horror flick, or a suspense thriller. Because they had to make Arnie a good guy and had such a huge budget for #2 it just feels like a completely different movie. ON their own each is fantastic, hard not to chuckle at the effects in #1 today but what a great movie.

#2 was so epic it could have (and almost does) stood alone.

On holidays next week, might have to watch them both.

(3 had potential, and the truck/crane chase was so flipping good, but after that it gets hard to watch.)
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:00 AM   #39
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
If you look at a modern Marvel film, there's nothing to quote. There's nothing to imitate. Hell, there isn't even a coherent theme music to any of them. That's the biggest failing of those films.
These films all are like drugs. They provide a temporary high, but are barely memorable. A couple weeks later I have trouble remembering even half of what happened.

I remeber buying Days of Future Past and being all excited to have a movie night cause I hadn't seen it, and about 15 minutes in I knew I'd seen it already! Sure didn't leave a lasting impression, or maybe I've just been superhero saturated. It was weird cause I liked the movie.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2016, 09:09 AM   #40
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
T1 is almost a horror flick, or a suspense thriller. Because they had to make Arnie a good guy and had such a huge budget for #2 it just feels like a completely different movie. ON their own each is fantastic, hard not to chuckle at the effects in #1 today but what a great movie.

#2 was so epic it could have (and almost does) stood alone.

On holidays next week, might have to watch them both.

(3 had potential, and the truck/crane chase was so flipping good, but after that it gets hard to watch.)
The third terminator wasn't bad, they certainly bought in what I thought was a really solid cast for it. But Claire Danes was really not a good choice to play a tough as nails Kate Brewster.

Kristanna Loken was a really good choice as a T-X, maybe because she's such a wooden actress and looked plastic.

This was the movie that completely screwed things up with the different time lines theory that no matter what happens the future is going to happen, the events and time to get there just changes.

The war with the machines is inevitable, it just might take a different form. Suddenly trying to figure out how events happened just merely created a bad headache.

Its started the curse of the terminator leading actors, as Edward Furlong had long since gone down the road to insanity, and Nick Stahl was about to pull out of the station on the crazy train.

The action sequences were actually really good as were the effects. But the ending was anti-climatic, though the scenes of judgment day was sobering.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: