Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2016, 10:13 PM   #41
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Coke Stage lineup:

http://www.calgarystampede.com/coca-cola-stage-0

Biggest Names:
The Dudes
Walk Off the Earth
Coleman Hell
Classified
X-Ambaassadors
The Sheepdogs
Mother Mother
Gord Bamford
Simple Plan

I've seen Christian Hudson at open mics around town, hes pretty talented.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Magnum PEI For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2016, 10:30 AM   #42
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I actually feel like I know 5 of those bands. Not too shabby, old man.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:54 AM   #43
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't wait to play me some Over/Under and take the Carny's money.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:45 PM   #44
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

X-Ambassadors are riding that one hit wonder incredibly hard. Good for them, even if I am sick to death of that song.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:58 PM   #45
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
X-Ambassadors are riding that one hit wonder incredibly hard. Good for them, even if I am sick to death of that song.
Actually a pretty decent band, and much more then a one-hit wonder.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:28 AM   #46
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I dunno about that. Their second single "Unsteady" is doing pretty well and getting air time on the radio lately. They've got a handful of solid tracks on their debut album.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:46 AM   #47
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking to get tix to the grandstand show for my parents as a gift. Any suggestions on seating? Definitely want covered tickets, so back of the lower tier versus upper tier?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:34 AM   #48
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

8 am beers for Stampede?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...2016-1.3614706

Quote:
Bars and restaurants across the city can again sell alcohol starting at 8 a.m. during the Calgary Stampede, the province's liquor authority has announced.

The "blanket approval for early liquor service" will apply to all Class A, B and C liquor licensees in Calgary from July 8 to July 17, according to the Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission (AGLC).

Businesses along the route of the Stampede parade can also apply to open one hour earlier, at 7 a.m., on the day of the parade, July 8.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:07 PM   #49
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Maybe its just me getting older but I don't see the need to have the liquor license bumped up to 8am. I guess if I was in university I would probably be excited for this.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2016, 12:27 PM   #50
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Maybe its just me getting older but I don't see the need to have the liquor license bumped up to 8am. I guess if I was in university I would probably be excited for this.
This is for the corporate crowd so that they can host breakfast parties and serve/consume booze. That is the target. Breakfast is a lot more fun and the host restaurant/bar makes more money.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:52 PM   #51
Laughman
Lifetime Suspension

It also favours the get out of town early weekend crowd that forgot to buy liquor the night before. Or for last minute plans....

For me, and friends, there has been numerous times we forgot or where too busy to buy liquor on the night of packing ; getting ready for a early morning departure, and had to wait until our arrival in bc to purchase liquor for the weekend which made it more expensive.
Same for deciding on a last minute hunting/fishing trip in the morning.

There is really no reason for liquor stores to only open at 10am...
A alcoholic would already be drunk in the first place at those hours. Having the liquor stores only open at a time of 10am, compared to gas stations, and regular grocery stores of 8-9 am only handicaps people trying to get out of town that forgot to buy some beers.....

I haven't visited every country in the world, but for me visiting eastern Canada, and numerous locations in Europe, it seems that Alberta is backwards in its liquor laws, and I can't figure out why.....

Here in Alberta liquor can only be bought in liquor stores, can't be drank in public, and all pubs, clubs, and anywhere someone could buy liquor is closed at 2am.

Anywhere else I've experienced, Europe for example, hard liquor is sold at gas stations, and clubs are opened all night. In Montreal beer is sold at gas stations, it's not legal to drink open the street, but clubs are still open to 3-7am. In the states, most allow you to have liquor/beer to drink in a paper bag.....

Having one beer on the c-train station here might land you a criminal record....

Kids/young adults knowing ther night ends at 2am here makes them binge drink at 10-11 more than they should, and it instantly creates hostile environments on there ctrain ride downtown......
Laughman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:04 AM   #52
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blink 182, ice cube and house of pain at cowboys. No snoop!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:07 PM   #53
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Is House of Pain just booking the show assuming Danny Boy won't be coming? He was denied entry last time he came here and it ended up just being Everlast.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:07 AM   #54
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
This is for the corporate crowd so that they can host breakfast parties and serve/consume booze. That is the target. Breakfast is a lot more fun and the host restaurant/bar makes more money.
They have served booze at all the breakfasts in the past I have been too without these changes.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:05 PM   #55
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
They have served booze at all the breakfasts in the past I have been too without these changes.
I'm guessing "blanket approval" on 8:00am liquor sales just takes some of the paper work out of it. I assume that previously the corporate breakfast needed to apply for special permits on an ad-hock basis.

Where as now licensed business can book private events/breakfast with one less hoop to jump through.

For me a breakfast cocktail is more about logistics, if I down a drink or two before noon, I'm most definitely going to need a nap. It's one thing if you're staying at a 5 star resort and you've got no where else to be. But being drunk in your regular stomping grounds is just inconvenient. "oh shoot, did we need groceries today?"
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:17 PM   #56
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
F*** yeah everyone. We gotta turn those tables over all day to make money. You need to have a morning/early afternoon crowd bombed out by 2pm to empty out the drinking spaces for cowboys and cowgirls who are coming in to get drunk for the evening and night. That's how you make the most money during Stampede.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:28 PM   #57
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
When I was in my prime drinking years (long before smartphones were a thing; thankfully) I discovered that if you mix hot Yukon Jack and maple syrup 50/50 that you can get drunk off pancakes. I microwaved my own Yukon Jack and brought it in a double walled thermos. It was an interesting ice breaker with women who also wanted to get drunk and smash random pelvises during Stampede.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:30 PM   #58
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

We went down to the Stampede today because it free in the morning and the weather was cool with no indications of rain. The weather was actually perfect for the Stampede.

We wanted to check out the new dog show but getting a seat for the show is absolutely stupid. You basically have to wait two hours in line in order to get a seat. Could they not do the show every hour? It is a 30 minute show and I think that on the weekends and maybe kid's day it should be hourly. Instead of the dogs we checked out the Bell Adrenaline show instead because it is so much easier to get a seat and it is inside.

I must be getting old because the Stampede has lost all it's appeal to me now. My kids enjoyed the rides but the line ups were ridiculous and completely disorganized. It would be nice if there was line up mazes instead of a random set up.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:56 PM   #59
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
We went down to the Stampede today because it free in the morning and the weather was cool with no indications of rain. The weather was actually perfect for the Stampede.

We wanted to check out the new dog show but getting a seat for the show is absolutely stupid. You basically have to wait two hours in line in order to get a seat. Could they not do the show every hour? It is a 30 minute show and I think that on the weekends and maybe kid's day it should be hourly. Instead of the dogs we checked out the Bell Adrenaline show instead because it is so much easier to get a seat and it is inside.

I must be getting old because the Stampede has lost all it's appeal to me now. My kids enjoyed the rides but the line ups were ridiculous and completely disorganized. It would be nice if there was line up mazes instead of a random set up.
I haven't been to the Stampede in 12 years. Over priced and too much of the same thing every year.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:47 PM   #60
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I haven't been to the Stampede in 12 years. Over priced and too much of the same thing every year.
Pretty much everything is definitely over priced. I actually really like the rodeo and chuckwagons but I haven't been in about 4 or 5 years because of the ticket prices. It would be awesome if Calgary could host some smaller weekend rodeos and chucks and maybe even some horse races. I would definitely go with the family if they had some events on the May or September long weekend or something.