DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

#### just got real
Old 11-22-2016, 08:21 PM   #42
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Likely the last time Drogba plays in front of this many.
From scoring the Champions League winner in Munich to somewhere where they can't paint proper lines.

Some dodgy late tackles but the ref hasn't gone to the book yet.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:59 PM   #43
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Likely the last time Drogba plays in front of this many.
From scoring the Champions League winner in Munich to somewhere where they can't paint proper lines.

Some dodgy late tackles but the ref hasn't gone to the book yet.
To be fair, they paint lines about as well as he stays upright when someone breathes on him.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:31 PM   #44
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Seattle came back and picked up a 2-1 win later on. Both games next week should be good ones, everything is still on the line. I'm a bit indifferent really about Montreal or Toronto going though it would be really cool to see the final in Canada so I guess the best result for me would be Seattle hanging on and Toronto going through so the MLS cup final is a home game at BMO.

I like Montreal a lot too with what they've accomplished on such a small budget but it's hard to see them going away into fortress Seattle and getting a result in a one off game as that'll be a crazy environment. If Colorado goes through maybe, Dick's Sporting Goods Park is not exactly a hard place to play compared to the big owe, BMO or CenturyLink.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:02 PM   #45
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think they said Colorado was undefeated at home this year, so tough game either way.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:48 PM   #46
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

3-2 is a fantastic result for TFC after that debacle of a start. 1-0 win next week gets them through to the final.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:17 AM   #47
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

TFC sure pulled that out of the fire. They go into next week knowing they can't play any worse.

As for the Big D'oh (Thanks Vic Reuter), the game would have been cancelled with 3cm or more of snow on the roof due to threat of collapse.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:09 AM   #48
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
3-2 is a fantastic result for TFC after that debacle of a start. 1-0 win next week gets them through to the final.
Does it not go to extra time? They just win the tie?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:32 AM   #49
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

They would win on away goals, no?
Old 11-23-2016, 10:34 AM   #50
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Correct. MLS uses away goals.

Only getting extra time if TO wins 3-2.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 11:01 AM   #51
pria(kin)16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm so excited to be there next week supporting the boys, as a supporter since day 1, it all seems worth it now. COME ON YOU REDS!!!!!!!
pria(kin)16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pria(kin)16 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2016, 11:24 AM   #52
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Considering last night's game had been hyped as a massive game for Canadian soccer (a sentiment I don't fully agree with), it makes sense that the game would be delayed because the people installing the patchwork turf couldn't do it right.

However, it sure was entertaining, and really had everything all in one. A debacle of monumental proportions with the line painting issue, hot crowd, Montreal exposing the TFC of last year's playoffs in the first half, a terrible third goal that shouldn't be scored even at the PDL level, and Toronto with 2 quick goals in response after Ricketts came on.

That second goal put TFC in the drivers seat for the return leg.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 02:49 PM   #53
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Considering last night's game had been hyped as a massive game for Canadian soccer (a sentiment I don't fully agree with)
Will Johnson & Tossaint Rickets turning the tie on its head, and a swan song for Patrice Bernier with 60,000 in attendance.

I'm a huge supporter of the Nats, but this was more fun than Canada v Mexico at a sold out BC place turned out to be.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:20 PM   #54
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Will Johnson & Tossaint Rickets turning the tie on its head, and a swan song for Patrice Bernier with 60,000 in attendance.

I'm a huge supporter of the Nats, but this was more fun than Canada v Mexico at a sold out BC place turned out to be.
Club wise, it's a big deal for Canadian soccer. But when only 2 of 22 starters and another 2 off the bench are local, it really diminishes that statement to me.

As for the action on the pitch, I agree that was massively entertaining.

Old 11-24-2016, 11:07 AM   #55
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Club wise, it's a big deal for Canadian soccer. But when only 2 of 22 starters and another 2 off the bench are local, it really diminishes that statement to me.

As for the action on the pitch, I agree that was massively entertaining.
I think I'm looking at this from the other end.

Look at the kids playing hockey at a high level out of California, Texas and Arizona these days.

Sure it would be awesome if MLS teams had more Canadian talent right now, but the reason is it's a competitive pro league, and our talent pool just isn't there. Yes, there are changes needed to the rules that are hampering the ability of Canadians to get spots on US teams, but it sounds like those may be changing for next season.

On the other side of it though, interest in the sport has demonstrably grown in areas where pro teams take a foothold, foreign players or not.

Hell, I basically started playing soccer again in my 30s because TFC helped get me really invested in the sport. They also helped me become a bigger supporter of the national team by getting to follow several of the players in their club career.

MLS is increasing exposure to the sport in kids, and if we can't turn that into greater participation and a better talent pool, that is on the CSA and not MLS.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:07 PM   #56
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I think I'm looking at this from the other end.

Look at the kids playing hockey at a high level out of California, Texas and Arizona these days.

Sure it would be awesome if MLS teams had more Canadian talent right now, but the reason is it's a competitive pro league, and our talent pool just isn't there. Yes, there are changes needed to the rules that are hampering the ability of Canadians to get spots on US teams, but it sounds like those may be changing for next season.

On the other side of it though, interest in the sport has demonstrably grown in areas where pro teams take a foothold, foreign players or not.

Hell, I basically started playing soccer again in my 30s because TFC helped get me really invested in the sport. They also helped me become a bigger supporter of the national team by getting to follow several of the players in their club career.

MLS is increasing exposure to the sport in kids, and if we can't turn that into greater participation and a better talent pool, that is on the CSA and not MLS.
I agree we're looking at it from different perspectives. I'm looking at the current while you're looking more from the potential benefits that can come from it.

Ideally, some kid is sitting in the stands who will be inspired by the game, and will turn out to be a very talented player. Soccer's version of Andrew Wiggins, if you will. But it's been 10 years and I haven't seen a great talent produced by an MLS club yet, and I'm impatient.

I'm currently of the viewpoint that if Canadian soccer is to succeed, MLS will be just a piece of the puzzle that will help it do so. I think that MLS' quest to be a top league, it has and will continue to leave Canadian soccer behind due to the gap in quality. And to be fair, MLS is a league that is ruled by a rival federation, so it makes sense that they don't care about the development of Canadian talent (despite the lip service the commissioner gives on the subject). Should this rumoured rule change regarding Canadians as domestics on US clubs actually happen, and we see players who otherwise would have hit a glass ceiling get signed and get on the pitch, then my viewpoint will begin to change on this. I also know this viewpoint is in the minority as well.

Old 11-24-2016, 02:39 PM   #57
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

^ Jonathan Osorio's story is pretty cool. Now playing for the team he used to watch from the supporter's stand.

Your points are all valid, and I don't disagree with any of them.

I don't think MLS is the ideal situation to advance the game in Canada, but I do feel it is a net positive one, and something we can leverage as a piece of the puzzle going forward.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:27 PM   #58
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Things are looking up for the MLS in general in Canada: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...medium=twitter
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:55 AM   #59
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So if Montreal wins 1-0 they still lose because of torontos away goals? Is that right?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:17 AM   #60
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Away goals is only a tiebreaker. Treat it as one big game. Montreal starts the game up 3-2. If it ends 3-3 or 4-4 toronto advances. 5-5 it goes to OT. 6-6 or higher Montreal advances.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post: