Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk

Old 01-12-2016, 12:18 PM   #21
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ownership will become cumbersome once self-driving cars are conclusively proven to be safer and less accident prone than human drivers.

The insurance cost difference between automated vehicles and Joe Bumblefoot will likely be a major factor in near-total adoption of automated cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2016, 12:44 PM   #22
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Ownership will become cumbersome once self-driving cars are conclusively proven to be safer and less accident prone than human drivers.
There's nothing stopping people from owning self-driving cars. The future debate is whether they will be privately owned or used in fleet service.

Quote:
The insurance cost difference between automated vehicles and Joe Bumblefoot will likely be a major factor in near-total adoption of automated cars.
Which means privately owned self-driving cars are cheaper to operate as well. Historically, anything that made cars cheaper to operate has increased their ownership rate.

Last edited by accord1999; 01-12-2016 at 12:48 PM.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:51 PM   #23
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
There's nothing stopping people from owning self-driving cars. The future debate is whether they will be privately owned or used in fleet service.

Which means privately owned self-driving cars are cheaper to operate as well. Historically, anything that made cars cheaper to operate has increased their ownership rate.
I was responding to the comments about "car people" not giving up manually driven vehicles.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2016, 09:48 PM   #24
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
All in all, 17 companies already have prototypes of self-driving cars. As the examples above indicate, they’re in various stages of readiness. Society, however, is not very ready at all.
California, Nevada, Texas, and Michigan are the only states that have enacted regulations that permit driverless cars on public roads - for testing purposes only, and under strict conditions. Eleven states have gone in the other direction, passing laws banning driverless cars. Other states are still wrestling with how to regulate driverless cars. The federal government is not considering any legislation or regulations concerning driverless cars. (That probably means they haven't figured out a clever way to tax them yet.)
http://askbobrankin.com/ready_for_dr...J1PrT9IRfeP6SL
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:00 AM   #25
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'd be pretty surprised if 60% of the congestion in downtown Calgary is caused by human accidents. I rarely hear of accidents downtown. Where did that statistic come from? I'm suspicious...
I have searched and searched and cannot find it. Found another that said 30% of inner city congestion is people searching for a parking spot though. Regardless, take that number as suspect
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2016, 01:05 AM   #26
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post

Think about it this way.

Ownership - paying for a car used maybe 20% at most, plus upkeep and fuel on a scale of 1

Service - no taxi wage plus scale makes this option way cheaper than ownership almost no matter how you look at it.

The reason car ownership rates increase with cost reduction is convenience. When scaled, automated transportation services will be almost as convenient
Old 01-13-2016, 01:42 AM   #27
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Think about it this way.

Ownership - paying for a car used maybe 20% at most, plus upkeep and fuel on a scale of 1
Which based on a new vehicle is somewhere in the range of 50c/km in Canada driving 24K km/year.

http://www.caa.ca/wp-content/uploads...h_2013_web.pdf

Quote:
Service - no taxi wage plus scale makes this option way cheaper than ownership almost no matter how you look at it.
Human costs are only about half of a taxi fare:

http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/cit...iCostIndex.pdf

Halve a typical taxi rate and that's still 85c/km. That doesn't include the cost of self-driving equipment, which remains unknown.

Quote:
The reason car ownership rates increase with cost reduction is convenience. When scaled, automated transportation services will be almost as convenient
It unlikely because if the fleet size is scaled for fast response during peak times it would be mostly idle and under-utilized for the rest of the day.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:12 AM   #28
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've got the answer! Surge pricing!!
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:51 AM   #29
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Serious question, when your self driving car gets into an accident, because of a malfunction, does your insurance get jacked? I've been wondering about all these cars that park themselves. If one of them were to ding a car while you're sitting there with your hands off the wheel, is it an at fault accident on you?

I know that under our insurance, mechanical failures causing accidents have been put on the owner as they are the result of deficient maintenance.
speede5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:45 AM   #30
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Serious question, when your self driving car gets into an accident, because of a malfunction, does your insurance get jacked? I've been wondering about all these cars that park themselves. If one of them were to ding a car while you're sitting there with your hands off the wheel, is it an at fault accident on you?

I know that under our insurance, mechanical failures causing accidents have been put on the owner as they are the result of deficient maintenance.
I would guess mechanical failure would be on the owner, but software/firmware failure would be on the manufacturer.

Quote:
Old 01-13-2016, 08:11 AM   #31
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Insurance and liability is absolutely going to be a tough one to figure out. One good argument I heard is that eventually accidents will go way down anyway, since human error is the cause of most of them. The transition phase is going to be the toughest to get through though.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:06 AM   #32
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think there is anything more currently hyped than autonomous cars.

Izabella Kaminsa (FT) does a real critical number on why the economics of autonomous cars, especially if they are rented through an agency like Uber, may never work out.

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/2015/10/2...ly-make-sense/
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:10 AM   #33
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I would guess mechanical failure would be on the owner, but software/firmware failure would be on the manufacturer.
This is part of the issue. That hasn't been resolved. Likely, it'll be he manufacturers. Google has already said they'd cover
Old 01-13-2016, 09:26 AM   #34
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forget self driving cars. How about self driving trucks? Say you go shopping for a big ticket item that won't fit in your car and you don't want to pay the store $80 to take it home. Summon a self driving truck that walks you through positioning and securing the load. After it's all packed up you send it home. When you arrive home you unpack it and send it back to pool of delivery trucks for which you have a membership.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:58 AM   #35
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do these new autonomous cars come with on-board tasers and flamethrowers to deal with the untamed, and unemployed masses that will be looting rampantly?
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:03 AM   #36
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I don't think there is anything more currently hyped than autonomous cars.

Izabella Kaminsa (FT) does a real critical number on why the economics of autonomous cars, especially if they are rented through an agency like Uber, may never work out.

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/2015/10/2...ly-make-sense/
Peter12 - "I don't believe in hype"

Can't get to the article due to the site being awful and wanting my info
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2016, 10:11 AM   #37
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post

I'd imagine insurance rules completely change. Insurance being covered under the "leasing party" for instance (like a car2go system) probably would be the case for leased vehicles. I have no idea in regards to self owned cars. I could even imagine self driving cars would be set up to go receive maintenance on a regular basis from a dealer/manufacturer and your car might be completely replaced if an issue arises. (Other than sitting inside/usage, what other ways would a self driving car break down mechanically that's the fault of an owner?)

If anything, I could imagine a set up similar to Tesla where their car is basically a skateboard with batteries and a chassis tossed on top. You'd own your own "cockpit/chassis" which gets inserted into a "vehicle" they send over. Imagine getting to a location where parking is a removed locked cockpit you own. The rest of the vehicles just pick up other individuals and their cockpits and meander along. Similar in nature to you borrowing a shopping cart, but different. You'd need less cars manufactured, you'd save space and you'd have no headache of owning a stationary car. You would also reduce the empty space that most cars have (ie: 1/4 occupants) and could roll out 1/1 cars, or whatever size is necessary.

The future holds a lot of interesting crazy stuff.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:27 AM   #38
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Buddy took a Tesla out in the snow storm before Christmas for a test drive on Deerfoot. Said it felt like driving with someone that had three glasses of wine. He had to grab the wheel only three times over a long stretch. He was absolutely impressed with how well it did in those conditions.
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:32 AM   #39
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The California DMV's website has reports from several manufacturers, parts suppliers and Google regarding the number of times their autonomous driving vehicles had to be manually overriden for safety or hardware failure during the course of testing over 2015:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...agement_report
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2016, 11:46 AM   #40
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

No one needs parking anymore if this could come true. Car drives you to work and goes back home, then comes back to your work place at certain hour. It'll be a congestion nightmare but you don't have to pay for exorbitant downtown parking.

Last edited by darklord700; 01-13-2016 at 11:48 AM.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote