Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2016, 01:31 PM   #201
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

lool beat me! CCP is demo'ing this during EVE fanfest, I nearly crapped my pants with delight!
Old 04-22-2016, 02:05 PM   #202
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

See that makes me sooooo excited to get this thing.

Once it gets cheaper and you can afford Two, multiplayer will be awesome.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:57 PM   #203
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.destructoid.com/vr-gave-m...x-357081.phtml
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:29 AM   #204
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My curiosity is getting the better of me. Do any of the dozens of Google cardboard competitors stand out above the rest or is the original still the way to go?
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:33 AM   #205
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin_vernon View Post
My curiosity is getting the better of me. Do any of the dozens of Google cardboard competitors stand out above the rest or is the original still the way to go?
Knox wasn't all that impressive. Seems like the lenses make everything blurry
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 03:00 PM   #206
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin_vernon View Post
I went with these ones, They seem good, a little uncomfortable on the nose, and they leak light but a cheap way to get an idea of what's coming.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:03 PM   #207
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

This is the kind of thing that makes me want a VR headset:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmBkGrXruCM
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2016, 11:18 AM   #208
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
This is the kind of thing that makes me want a VR headset:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmBkGrXruCM
Once traditional flight simulators start popping up in VR, enthusiasts of the genre are going to start wearing diapers and dying of dehydration all over the place.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:49 AM   #209
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I dropped by Comic Expo last night but didn't see any VR stuff. Last year they had some games in the Agrium building but the Expo looks like it's shrunk this year and they are only in the BMO and Big Four basement? Strange.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:03 AM   #210
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I dropped by Comic Expo last night but didn't see any VR stuff. Last year they had some games in the Agrium building but the Expo looks like it's shrunk this year and they are only in the BMO and Big Four basement? Strange.
The Calgary expo is okay I guess. It's not on the radar as one where exhibitors really come to; you'll have to hit Comic-Con or NYCC for Oculus, Sony or HTC to show up.

Tried this out last night, not bad. Good work out.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:04 AM   #211
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
The Calgary expo is okay I guess. It's not on the radar as one where exhibitors really come to; you'll have to hit Comic-Con or NYCC for Oculus, Sony or HTC to show up.

Tried this out last night, not bad. Good work out.

There were some DK2 demos last year so I was hoping somebody would have a set up or booth.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2016, 09:46 AM   #212
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I have nothing to add of real value except that I tried VR for the first time and it blew my mind. I used the Samsung Gear VR that came with the S7.

Even something as simple as jumping around the world on Google Maps was amazeballs.

Played a shooter game too that was wicked.

When this tech ripens in the marketplace in a few years, it will be revolutionary. I doubt this flops like 3D did.
Did you get this with the Bell promo? I just upgraded my phone on the weekend and got the promo for the free VR gear. I went to the site and put in my info and it said that they will look over my info and send me info when it is shipping but I have not heard anything. If this is the same thing for you how long did it take for you to get them?
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:54 AM   #213
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
Did you get this with the Bell promo? I just upgraded my phone on the weekend and got the promo for the free VR gear. I went to the site and put in my info and it said that they will look over my info and send me info when it is shipping but I have not heard anything. If this is the same thing for you how long did it take for you to get them?
Sorry bud I can't help you. It was a buddy of mine who got it when he got his s7 in Calgary.

I just got to use it.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:08 AM   #214
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Hey Chemgear... now that you've had Vive and Oculus for a few weeks, what are your thoughts?
Old 05-03-2016, 09:18 AM   #215
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Hey Chemgear... now that you've had Vive and Oculus for a few weeks, what are your thoughts?
Well, I've tried to pick up most of the major games that have been available and I think the big thing is that there isn't as much content as I'd like. But it is early stages and I almost kinda hope everything gets consolidated under one umbrella; no exclusivity software wise. Let me play whatever on whatever.

That said, the experiences so far have been great. Having family and friends over to try it out have been really fun and great to see. It's a massive investment though and I can't really recommend "normal" people to plunk down $3000 for it right now. (I'd also guess that making the room available would be tough for some people as well.) But if you have money to burn or game on PC already then I'd tell people to make sure to try it out first and see if you want on the train ride, it's damn fun. I think PSVR will have an easier time with the PS4 install base and the better price point.

Right now between the two though, the Vive is also way better just because of the room and controller experience that Oculus doesn't have. It's supposed to come later but with their shipping problems, who knows when that will be. Oculus does have some exclusives but it doesn't really balance out right now. The build quality and appearance certainly seems better on the Vive as well.

I haven't dug to deep into mods and such but I would kill to be able to just play stuff like XCOM 2 on 3D. Same camera view but like a chess board view of the tactical map.
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2016, 09:23 AM   #216
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I think Oculus is screwed. It doesn't have anywhere to go, really. Vive is the high-end PC expensive nice one, PSVR is the lower-end, more affordable and accessible one. Oculus is just kind of... there in the middle.

If you want VR but can't afford Rift, you'd get a PSVR. If you want VR and can afford Rift, you can probably afford the extra couple hundred bucks for a Vive.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:42 PM   #217
SoulOfTheFlame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Yeah I think Oculus is screwed. It doesn't have anywhere to go, really. Vive is the high-end PC expensive nice one, PSVR is the lower-end, more affordable and accessible one. Oculus is just kind of... there in the middle.

If you want VR but can't afford Rift, you'd get a PSVR. If you want VR and can afford Rift, you can probably afford the extra couple hundred bucks for a Vive.
Too early to call I'd say. Occulus has a lot of advantages as a company, don't count them out yet. The social aspect with facebook brewing something big will make things look different down the road.

SoulOfTheFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:13 PM   #218
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I'm amazed Oculus is doing as well as it is without the hand controllers. They seem pivotal to the whole experience. My concern for them is by the time they are released Sony is ready to release theirs and the novelty will melt somewhat.

I'm greatly enjoying youtube let's play videos of Vive games. Looks like a hell of a time.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:45 PM   #219
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everybody should have the chance to try this.

The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2016, 09:16 PM   #220
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha, I can't even come close to this!