Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2015, 10:26 AM   #41
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

I haven't touched rocket league in a while, but anyone slightly interested should pick it up. It's easily one of the most addicting games I've played
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:28 AM   #42
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think I'm going to pass on this sale, not much interesting me

I don't understand why they abandoned the flash sales and daily deals, I feel like that's going to lose them a lot of money on impulse buys. I just did a quick look and I'm done with the sale already
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:29 AM   #43
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Almost bought Total War: Attila. Looks like a good deal until you add up all the DLC and it's a full price game. Nothing else really interests me this year.

I'll never understand the popularity of Rocket League. Especially over AAA titles. It's like buying your cat a big scratching post and he just sits in the box it came in.
Fun factor, accessibility.

Often after a long day at work and taking care of a young kid in the evening, I don't feel like booting up a Fallout or Witcher and wait through load screens and dialogue trees and fast traveling and wandering around and more load screens before I get to having any fun. I'd have already played 2 or 3 Rocket League matches in that time.

It's more like buying you kid a big crazy interactive light toy and he goes and plays with the tupperware lid you dropped on the floor (speaking from experience on that one). We're just often naturally drawn towards simplicity and easiness more so than complexity.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:33 AM   #44
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Actually GMG has 20% coupon as well so you can get Rocket League there for $11.20
Old 12-23-2015, 12:25 PM   #45
Leon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
This is the truth.

I play a TON of Rocket League still and I'm not too high on the hockey mode though. It's fun for a few games but lacks the deceiving depth of the standard modes. Basically, the aerial game is entirely gone, and it just becomes a back and forth of trying to slide the puck up the corners so it cruises right in front of the net. Corner play is important in standard too, but it's not the entire game -- plus there's some strategy at the speed and angle you bounce it in and out at. Hockey mode is just drive straight and hit it as hard as you can.

Still, love the entire game, one of my favorite games of the year and probably ever. Played over 520 games (and counting)...

And I find the same thing. Played Fallout 4 for 25 hours, sunk back in to Rocket League. Bought the FFXIV expansion, Rocket League every night instead. You can play for 20 minutes or 3 hours and just have a blast the whole time.
My personal game of the year. I am a purist and don't often play the hockey or mutator modes.

Would highly recommend this game.

''The Phaneuf - Regehr pairing reminds me a lot of when I'm having sex with a new partner'' -malcomk14
''Not only is he a good player, but I enjoy his company'' -Pierre Mcguire on Phaneuf

"I'm only watching now for the chance to see brief close-ups of White's moustache." - rockstar
</br>
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:30 PM   #46
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Actually GMG has 20% coupon as well so you can get Rocket League there for $11.20
Again, prices listed on Green Man Gaming are in USD. So you're actually paying about $15.50 CAD. You're better off just buying it on Steam.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:04 PM   #47
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like there's enough RL players around to start a team.

Maybe even... a tournament
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2015, 01:53 PM   #48
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Fun factor, accessibility.

Often after a long day at work and taking care of a young kid in the evening, I don't feel like booting up a Fallout or Witcher and wait through load screens and dialogue trees and fast traveling and wandering around and more load screens before I get to having any fun. I'd have already played 2 or 3 Rocket League matches in that time.

It's more like buying you kid a big crazy interactive light toy and he goes and plays with the tupperware lid you dropped on the floor (speaking from experience on that one). We're just often naturally drawn towards simplicity and easiness more so than complexity.
Witcher is awesome, but I have about 4 hours sink into it and can't find time for more. Fallout 4 has about 10 hours in and is even better. Rocket League with my 3 year old has about 50. It's just easier
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:47 PM   #49
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
I think I'm going to pass on this sale, not much interesting me

I don't understand why they abandoned the flash sales and daily deals, I feel like that's going to lose them a lot of money on impulse buys. I just did a quick look and I'm done with the sale already
They got rid of the daily deals because you can now get refunds. There'd be too many people buying games and getting refunds so they could re-buy it at a lower price. It takes some of the fun out of the sale, but I see why they did it.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:35 PM   #50
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Hm, if there's 4 people that are considering Rocket League we should get the 4 pack.
I might consider it at that price, actually.

So stupid question...4-pack = 4 people get a copy of the game and share the cost to get it at a lower price? (I haven't bought anything on Steam in a while...)
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:44 PM   #51
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post

So stupid question...4-pack = 4 people get a copy of the game and share the cost to get it at a lower price? (I haven't bought anything on Steam in a while...)
I'd be down too!
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:46 PM   #52
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post

One buys and hopes others reimburse.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2015, 07:59 PM   #53
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

You'd save like $4 per person while trying to get the money back through something like einteract taking a fee.

Might as well just get it for $15 but that's just the lazy in me talking. I've not purchased the PC version but the game is just too much fun especially with others.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 05:41 PM   #54
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Picked up "Besiege" for $6 and change and I highly recommend it. It's still in development, but basically you build vehicles, attach weapons, and try to demolish villages or castles. My 8 year old has been laughing all day long at the carnage.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 01:56 PM   #55
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Sooo Steam is hacked/down/attacked/etc...

Try going to your profile. Shows up as random users, you can see history/name/wallet balance.

This ain't good. Following updates on reddit right now https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 02:11 PM   #56
Canuck-Hater
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Don't login at all is probably the best thing anyone can do atm.
Canuck-Hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 02:02 AM   #57
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I picked up Rocket League, Bastion and Never Alone. Rocket League is something I can see myself going back to again and again for a long time. Fun without any feeling of commitment.

Never Alone is a really beautiful game. Very cool and I would recommend it to anyone who likes side-scrolling puzzle-platformers. More than being a good game though, it is a very cool cultural piece produced in cooperation with the Inupiat first nations band up in Alaska to tell a traditional story and share their culture. It has narration in their language, lots of cool inspiration from traditional artwork and loads of informational video content to learn about their culture. It's a pretty awesome piece of work.

Bastion is fine. Reasonably fun, but nothing special.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"

Last edited by JohnnyB; 12-26-2015 at 02:05 AM.
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:43 AM   #58
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Grabbed Mad Max for $20.00 and it seems pretty cool so far. Reminds me a lot of Batman/Shadows of Mordor.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:25 PM   #59
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got a $50 Steam card for Christmas. What I'm thinking of using it on:

- The Evil Within Bundle $17.59
- Wolfenstein: The New Order $9.97
- Dying Light $20.39
- Ryse: Son of Rome $7.49

Total : $55.42
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 02:45 PM   #60
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I got a $50 Steam card for Christmas. What I'm thinking of using it on:

- The Evil Within Bundle $17.59
- Wolfenstein: The New Order $9.97
- Dying Light $20.39
- Ryse: Son of Rome $7.49

Total : $55.42
I can't speak for the rest of those games but Wolfenstein is amazing.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote