Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Avatar 2, 3 & 4?

Apparently they are filming Avatar 2, 3 & 4 at the same time. This sounds like a disaster to me, I'm not looking forward to incomplete movies leading up to a third movie some time way in the future. Not sure how much gas this series really has anyways, do the humans just keep coming back? do the blue people face new alien enemies? Apparently they are going to involve Pandora's oceans and other planets somehow.

I'm predicting this will be worse than the Star Wars prequels.

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/t...ey-weaver.html
Quote:
WHEN James Cameron recently said 'I'm in the Avatar business. Period. That's it', he certainly meant it.

He appears to be moving to Pandora permanently. Bad news for those who are still harping on about Avatar's narrative simplicities and/or deficiences, good news for those (like me) who believe its 3D psychedelia has not since been equalled.

A report now says Sigourney Weaver has confirmed that three more Avatar films will be made at the same time.

Although not quoting Weaver directly on those details, Showbiz 411 caught up with the actress and reports: "She films Avatar 2, 3, and 4 with James Cameron. That's right: they're making three sequels to the blue 3D phenom[enon] all at the same time. Weaver says she has no idea how long it will take, or how it's going to work."

Weaver's only direct quote in the piece is "I just show up," offering us zero information on the content of the films themselves, although we already know Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldana are also returning and that the stories will explore Pandora's oceans as well as other planets.

Despite Weaver's botanist character dying in the first film and her consciousness then living on in a mystical tree, she will obviously continue to be part of the story - whether still in the tree or somehow given corporeal form again as one of the Neytiri.

This latest update on the Avatar franchise tallies with what James Cameron himself had said in May.

At the Beijing Film Festival, he spoke to the New York Times and here's the full quote explaining his ambitions and intentions: "Last year I basically completely disbanded my production company's development arm. So I'm not interested in developing anything.

"I'm in the Avatar business. Period. That's it. I'm making Avatar, Avatar 2, Avatar 3, maybe Avatar 4, and I'm not going to produce other people's movies for them. I'm not interested in taking scripts.

"And that all sounds I suppose a little bit restricted, but the point is I think within the Avatar landscape I can say everything I need to say that I think needs to be said, in terms of the state of the world and what I think we need to be doing about it. And doing it in an entertaining way. And anything I can't say in that area, I want to say through documentaries, which I'm continuing."

Of course, it makes sense to film the Avatar sequels together so that those involved in all the special effects can work continuously rather than in a stop-start fashion that is ultimately less efficient and more expensive.

The first of the Avatar sequels had been due out in December 2014. But producer Jon Landau said they would be unlikely to meet that date and in April this year Cameron indicated that the next two films would occupy his time for the next five years.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I thought you meant the good avatar.

The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really, you want three more of these?

trackercowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
Really, you want three more of these?
Gag, no!

More like this!

Old 06-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I thought the first movie was going to be a total disaster and flop based on the pre-release descriptions. It went on to be the most successful movie in history. Cameron deserves the benefit of the doubt here. I can't see him putting out a sub-par product here. He takes way too much pride in his work. He may be cutting costs by filming scenes from all three movies together, but I can see him spending years to finish the final product. It took Cameron 15 years to create the first movie, I don't see him releasing a half-assed product here.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

I absolutely dislike this approach. The problem I've found with sequels (especially lately) is that they tend to simply set the stage for the next movie rather than be a complete film in itself. If you take a look at the Matrix for example what you have is a great film that stands on it own. Once you get into Reloaded and Revolutions it's basically one long movie that's been chopped into two. Now with Avatar, the first was okay. The main draw was it's visuals and 3D but I certainly wouldn't say it's story was anything ground breaking. So they're filming 3 more movies? Where are they going to go with this?
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
I absolutely dislike this approach. The problem I've found with sequels (especially lately) is that they tend to simply set the stage for the next movie rather than be a complete film in itself. If you take a look at the Matrix for example what you have is a great film that stands on it own. Once you get into Reloaded and Revolutions it's basically one long movie that's been chopped into two. Now with Avatar, the first was okay. The main draw was it's visuals and 3D but I certainly wouldn't say it's story was anything ground breaking. So they're filming 3 more movies? Where are they going to go with this?
It looks like Cameron is taking a different approach with the Avatar films. It sounds like each movie will take place in a different locale in the solar system from the original film. The second one is suppossed to be largely underwater. The third and fourth are potentially on different moons.

....can't believe I'm defending Cameron on this. I though Avatar was pretty average.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I thought the first movie was going to be a total disaster and flop based on the pre-release descriptions. It went on to be the most successful movie in history. Cameron deserves the benefit of the doubt here. I can't see him putting out a sub-par product here. He takes way too much pride in his work. He may be cutting costs by filming scenes from all three movies together, but I can see him spending years to finish the final product. It took Cameron 15 years to create the first movie, I don't see him releasing a half-assed product here.
Avatar's problems weren't on the technical side of things. The reason the movie was borderline unwatchably awful was because of the script/story.

Still better than The Phantom Menace, though.
MarchHare is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Gag, no!

More like this!

How about no.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #10
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Avatar's problems weren't on the technical side of things. The reason the movie was borderline unwatchably awful was because of the script/story.

Still better than The Phantom Menace, though.
Everything is better than the Phantom Menace. That was a film that relied way too heavily on special effects. Now that the special effects are horribly outdated, that movie is even more unwatchable.

Lucas kept saying the movie was for kids, so that's why the computerized minstrel show Jar Jar got so much time, but then he makes the plot about contrived politics that kids have no way of following...what a mess.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #11
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Everything is better than the Phantom Menace. That was a film that relied way too heavily on special effects. Now that the special effects are horribly outdated, that movie is even more unwatchable.

Lucas kept saying the movie was for kids, so that's why the computerized minstrel show Jar Jar got so much time, but then he makes the plot about contrived politics that kids have no way of following...what a mess.
What could be more exciting then the inner workings of the Intergalactic Senate!!!
Old 06-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #12
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

weren't the LOTR movies all filmed at the same time? not saying that the Avatar sequels will be good, but obviously this method can work
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
weren't the LOTR movies all filmed at the same time? not saying that the Avatar sequels will be good, but obviously this method can work
Two Towers and Return of the King were filmed back to back but I would count it's success as a rarity.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #14
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I know it is really cool to crap on avatar but I liked it.

Sure it was cookie cutter and the acting and writing were average but what are we comparing it to?

I can't think of many big budget action movies that are renowned for incredible acting or writing. Not to mention the fact that it was one of the more visually stunning theatre experiences I've ever had.

I can't wait for the sequels and hope they are as goo as the original. It doesn't hold up quite as well at home because the theatre 3D was so good but it is still a solid action flick.

In fact other than the avengers or a few Nolan movies I can't think of any big budget action flicks that were as good especially considering it was pg rated.

Even the avengers wasn't exactly best picture worthy for its writing or acting.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #15
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

hmmm 3 more movies I will never see.

Hate James Cameron
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #16
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
hmmm 3 more movies I will never see.

Hate James Cameron
How can you hate James Cameron? He gave us T2: Judgement Day and Aliens, two of the best sequels ever produced.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #17
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
How about no.
Too late, they already did!

If any film lends itself to filming multiple films at the same time it's a film like Avatar where so much of it is fake.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #18
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

No movie franchise deserves four of anything. Very few can pull off three.

I'd actually be excited for a sequel, but hearing a project this big makes me very scared.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #19
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
How can you hate James Cameron? He gave us T2: Judgement Day and Aliens, two of the best sequels ever produced.
I will give you that (I love both of those), he also gave us Titanic.....

I take the same approach with Jame Cameron as I do with Radiohead.

Aliens = The Bends
T2 = Ok Computer

All after is garbage, IMO.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #20
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I will give you that (I love both of those), he also gave us Titanic.....

I take the same approach with Jame Cameron as I do with Radiohead.

Aliens = The Bends
T2 = Ok Computer

All after is garbage, IMO.
Agreed. Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post: