Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-08-2016, 11:23 AM   #121
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished "Tricked" which is a documentary about the prostitution industry.

I don't think it was great by any stretch but it really did show how powerless some of these women are. And it's not just runaways and drug addicts, it basically human trafficking.

I'm not legalizing it is the answer either, I just don't know what the answer is, it's really sad.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:49 AM   #122
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

Been watching Ken Burn's doc on the Civil War. Watched the first 3 episodes and it is excellent so far - just about what you would expect from Burns.
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:18 PM   #123
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
If you can track it down 'Dig!' is a great, sad documentary about the Brian Jonestown Massacre and the addiction and mental instability of their front man, his love hate relationship with the Dandy Warhols. It's a brilliant look at a band staggering from crisis to crisis whilst being on the brink of making it.
You don't have to like the bands for it to be interesting, it's easily one of the best music documentaries ever made.
Thanks for this, what a great documentary. It was released in 2004 and seems like one of those stories where you'd go to wiki and read that he had passed away in the subsequent years since.

But oddly enough as I was typing their name in google "Brian Jonestown Massacre Calgary" came up as an autofill so I clicked and saw they are doing a North American tour and play Marquee in Calgary on May 21st. From everything I read it seems the fights and altercations in the band are still present at their live shows.

I'd go out of interest for the tension and manic behavior of their front man, but figured that's not a very good reason to go seeing as his mental illness is behind it all.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:22 PM   #124
jayswin

Exp:

It was pretty crazy when he started stalking the Dandy Warhols and while they're interviewing the one band member in the lobby of one of their shows the camera pans out and he's watching her through the window from outside haha. *shutter
Old 01-22-2017, 03:04 PM   #125
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

http://www.cbc.ca/shortdocs/shorts/sourtoe

3 years ago, Joshua Clark swallowed the human toe in Dawson City’s famous Sourtoe Cocktail. On purpose. He was run out of town. Now he’s back, looking to right his wrong.

Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2017, 07:52 PM   #126
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am watching Eagles of Death Metal: Nos Amis right now on HBO. Incredible accounting of the terrorist attack on Bataclan Theatre from the band's perspective. Heartbreaking stuff.

Last edited by Displaced Flames fan; 02-15-2017 at 08:27 PM.
Displaced Flames fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:14 PM   #127
John Doe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I haven't seen "When We Were Kings" mentioned yet. It is about the Ali-Foreman fight. It is one of my favourite movies, let alone documentaries.
John Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:54 PM   #128
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
I am watching Eagles of Death Metal: Nos Amis right now on HBO. Incredible accounting of the terrorist attack on Bataclan Theatre from the band's perspective. Heartbreaking stuff.
Does anyone know the backstory on the fallout between the Bataclan and the band? There was something about how they felt attached and the Eagles of Death Metal were going to be the band to reopen the theatre but then the lead singer got really racist towards Muslims and then went on to accuse the venue managers of being friends with Muslims or something?

I remember they were barred from even being allowed to attend the reopening as patrons or something.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:00 PM   #129
jayswin

Exp:

Found it. He asserted that the attack was an inside job helped out by Muslim security guards in the venue.

Pretty strong words from the manager of the Bataclan
Quote:
Referring to Hughes, Mr Frutos said: "Even if he came back on what he said. I mean, this man is just sick. That's all."

Quote:
Mr Frutos was referring to previous claims by#Hughes that the attack was an inside job helped by the theatre's Muslim staff and that he saw Muslims in the hall celebrating.
Quote:
He told the Fox Business Network in March that six guards at the Bataclan never came to work on the night of the attack, and "it seems rather obvious that they had a reason not to show up
Pretty horrible accusations to throw at the venue, even though he was of course very affected and probably searching for answers and lashing out. He apologized after, but my lord, I can see why they wanted nothing to do with him despite their shared greif.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:50 PM   #130
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Found it. He asserted that the attack was an inside job helped out by Muslim security guards in the venue.

Pretty strong words from the manager of the Bataclan

Pretty horrible accusations to throw at the venue, even though he was of course very affected and probably searching for answers and lashing out. He apologized after, but my lord, I can see why they wanted nothing to do with him despite their shared greif.
The film doesn't touch on that at all and I had never heard about it. However, after watching the film it is difficult for me to blame anyone that was there that night for any emotional lashing out.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:29 PM   #131
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
The film doesn't touch on that at all and I had never heard about it. However, after watching the film it is difficult for me to blame anyone that was there that night for any emotional lashing out.
To a degree, but this was on another level. He said something so offside that a person that wanted him to re-open the Bataclan banned him and called him sick. Accusing the people that went through the same tragedy with him and his band of being part of an inside job because they had Muslims? Geez.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:16 PM   #132
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't he suffer from PTSD from the ordeal? Was he ever helped? He seemed pretty distraught throughout the interview they gave afterwards. I mean, I would almost give him the benefit of the doubt on this. I know they are not at fault, but that guilt has to way heavily on a person, those fans came to see their band and some died as a result. He is probably not in a good state of mind. At least that is my uneducated assessment. He should get help though if he still thinks that this was some kind of inside job by the Bataclan somehow.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:03 PM   #133
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Thanks for this, what a great documentary. It was released in 2004 and seems like one of those stories where you'd go to wiki and read that he had passed away in the subsequent years since.

But oddly enough as I was typing their name in google "Brian Jonestown Massacre Calgary" came up as an autofill so I clicked and saw they are doing a North American tour and play Marquee in Calgary on May 21st. From everything I read it seems the fights and altercations in the band are still present at their live shows.

I'd go out of interest for the tension and manic behavior of their front man, but figured that's not a very good reason to go seeing as his mental illness is behind it all.

Go to the show because they are legit. Awesome band, huge talent. Weird dude. One of Newcombe's own albums is titled, "thank god for mental illness".

This is one of the only cases where I agree with that statement! BJM rules.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:06 PM   #134
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Aww man that post is from 2016. Got my hopes up that I'd get to see them
The Following User Says Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2017, 08:59 PM   #135
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Netflix series 'Abstract' is great (at least, 2 episodes in, I think it is). Profiles of designers from different disciplines, produced by Wired editor-in-chief Scott Dadich.

octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2017, 07:17 PM   #136
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2017, 07:28 PM   #137
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross are scoring this so I'm automatically in.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:46 AM   #138
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been watching the series "Hate Thy Neighbor" on Viceland. Other than the "stand up comic" aspect of the show, it's completely intriguing.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #139
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

So finally watched "Being Canadian". Hate to bash a local guy putting forth his best effort, but basically 90 minutes of celebrities, that haven't lived here in 20 years, giving mostly vapid responses on what it means to be Canadian. And ya, his internal crisis on not being able to determine what it means to be Canadian, until the last minute, didn't seem scripted or planned at all...
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:12 AM   #140
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Watched 'Cries From Syria' on HBO today.

As you might guess, some pretty disturbing stuff in there. I can handle the odd disturbing scene here and there, but seeing the aftermath of a gas attack on civilians (especially kids) is really tough to see. Not gory with lots of blood, just.....sad.

I find shows like that fascinating and brutal at the same time. Just unreal how humans treat other humans at times on our planet.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post: