Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-20-2016, 09:13 PM   #221
Slanter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Loved how the Stamps were spelling Messam off with Finch. How crazy must that be to adjust to? One moment you've got a bus barreling through the D-line, next you've got a sports car dancing through the holes.

I know we saw that once or twice during the regular season, but nothing like in that fourth quarter. I'd love to see more of that, if they can keep making it work.
Slanter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slanter For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2016, 10:16 PM   #222
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanter View Post
Loved how the Stamps were spelling Messam off with Finch. How crazy must that be to adjust to? One moment you've got a bus barreling through the D-line, next you've got a sports car dancing through the holes.

I know we saw that once or twice during the regular season, but nothing like in that fourth quarter. I'd love to see more of that, if they can keep making it work.
Agreed. Tory Harrison was our change of pace back to spell Messam, but Finch brought it to another level. Wasn't expecting that at all. And that's on top of Finch's return ability, which has been consistently good all season.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:22 PM   #223
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
DD and BLM are going to dissect and scalp the Lions. It won't even be close. This team is a machine.
Nailed it
#22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to #22 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2016, 10:39 PM   #224
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Great atmosphere today at McMahon. The old barn is tired, but she still knows how to host a party.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Corral For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2016, 11:44 PM   #225
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I was chatting away on my Stamps site and thought I'd come over here.

We can talk about Bo and Finch and McDaniels and other players as the MVP of the game, but to me the coaching staff is the MVP.

This was the battle of an old school staff running the Lions. A systems staff that relies on the execution of their scheme no matter who they play. Versus a new generation staff that has a new game plan, a new scheme and new formations and personal based on what they see in their opponents.

Make no mistake Wally and Jones and Washington were savaged by DD and Claybrooks today and it was overwhelming.

The Stamps made so many little subtle changes to their formation. To personal (Cote was way more involved today and Finch in the backfield was brilliant). They saw that Washington favors a soft static zone and they ate it alive.

The defense had the Lions scouted so completely that it was almost like they knew the Lions ran plays in sequence.

This was like a battle of Neanderthals versus MIT, and the game might have changed tonight not in terms of schemes or motions, but in terms of how coaches are going to have to prepare for games.

The Stamps went 15-2-1 because yes they had unbelievable depth and great skill at every position, but after game 3 they really outcoached and out game planned everyone.

My gut says that this Grey Cup is going to be an absolute blowout. Its not that Ottawa doesn't have a good team, they do, they have the best team in a league that is badly behind the Stampeders who are the apex predators. The job this week is to break down the RED BLACKS and control egos.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2016, 11:53 PM   #226
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
No kidding. I thought the Stamps might be taking a step back this year as far as coaching goes, looks like it was a step forward instead.
True. Plus losing Eric Rogers and some veteran players like Juwan Simpson and Keon Raymond. It was looking like that earlier with Taylor Reed as Simpson's replacement and Bakari Grant as Rogers' replacement. Then here comes the rookies Alex Singleton in as MLB and Davaris Daniels as wideout. Nik Lewis actually mentioned in his tweet today that he thinks Stamps D got better after releasing Taylor Reed.

As far as coaching is concerned. I always knew Dickenson is a smart guy, good OC but I thought it will take a year or so for him to get better as HC. Well he just broke Huf's best record as a 1st year HC. I guess it works for him because he is both an HC and OC as well. No conflict on calling offensive plays.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OzSome For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2016, 11:55 PM   #227
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

<out of thanks CC> so this will have to do...good write.
The team reminds me of the Pats a bit in that you cant rely on game tape from the last game...they are constantly changing and evolving. With BLM still so young this team could be solid for a great many years as long as they dont get big heads.

Last edited by Cheese; 11-20-2016 at 11:58 PM.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:56 AM   #228
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I was chatting away on my Stamps site and thought I'd come over here.

We can talk about Bo and Finch and McDaniels and other players as the MVP of the game, but to me the coaching staff is the MVP.

This was the battle of an old school staff running the Lions. A systems staff that relies on the execution of their scheme no matter who they play. Versus a new generation staff that has a new game plan, a new scheme and new formations and personal based on what they see in their opponents.

Make no mistake Wally and Jones and Washington were savaged by DD and Claybrooks today and it was overwhelming.

The Stamps made so many little subtle changes to their formation. To personal (Cote was way more involved today and Finch in the backfield was brilliant). They saw that Washington favors a soft static zone and they ate it alive.

The defense had the Lions scouted so completely that it was almost like they knew the Lions ran plays in sequence.

This was like a battle of Neanderthals versus MIT, and the game might have changed tonight not in terms of schemes or motions, but in terms of how coaches are going to have to prepare for games.

The Stamps went 15-2-1 because yes they had unbelievable depth and great skill at every position, but after game 3 they really outcoached and out game planned everyone.

My gut says that this Grey Cup is going to be an absolute blowout. Its not that Ottawa doesn't have a good team, they do, they have the best team in a league that is badly behind the Stampeders who are the apex predators. The job this week is to break down the RED BLACKS and control egos.
Totally agree with this. I knew DD would make an excellent coach - I had no idea he would be this good though. And Claybrooks has been a real and pleasant surprise to me.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:44 AM   #229
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Such a special team this year, its been a wild ride. Can't wait until Sunday!
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:02 PM   #230
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanter View Post

Reminded me of Dayne and Barber!
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:07 PM   #231
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still disappointed there was no military flyover...
Frequitude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:12 PM   #232
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Put em in the backfield at the same time and they could be our version of the 1994 patriots Butts and Gash backfield

I kid I kid

Teams always aspire to have that change of pace back, but its rare for teams to have an absolute monster like Messam.

the biggest thing about Finch is that he exposes bad tackling. For a small guy he has deceptive lower body strength to go with his speed.

I would expect that he's going to eventually end up South of the Border.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2016, 02:30 PM   #233
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

It sounds like Quick Six won't be allowed on BMO Field at the 104th Grey Cup...

“It is disappointing,” CFL Commissioner Jeffrey Orridge said Tuesday. “I know a lot of fans look forward to seeing Quick Six, just as they look forward to the loggers cutting the cookies when the Redblacks make a touchdown. But unfortunately space and safety won’t allow it in this venue this time.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3081131/ca...me-in-toronto/
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 03:29 PM   #234
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

maybe we could sub in with something smaller

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2016, 04:51 PM   #235
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like how they're trying to compare the long, hallowed tradition of a 4 year old franchise's loggers cutting cookies with the Stamps' TD horse, like it's an even trade. So stupid
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote