Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk

Old 01-18-2016, 02:43 PM   #61
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
That in itself is a moral choice. We've decided that the car will obey traffic law and will not drive up on the sidewalk to avoid any collision.

What if a kid's playing with a ball and chases it into the street? The car isn't going to swerve to avoid the kid, just attempt to stop? And if it can't, the kid's toast?
I can't "like" this enough. Clear example of why technologists need to be called out on these kinds of questions.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:49 PM   #62
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
That in itself is a moral choice. We've decided that the car will obey traffic law and will not drive up on the sidewalk to avoid any collision.

What if a kid's playing with a ball and chases it into the street? The car isn't going to swerve to avoid the kid, just attempt to stop? And if it can't, the kid's toast?
Quote:
The death of one man is a tragedy. The death of millions is a statistic.
Joseph Stalin
Kid would be a statistical tragedy perhaps in the future.

I would assume programming wouldn't be that primitive and would on a regular basis scan for alternative path options in case some issue caused its path to be blocked for a moment. If it can't... it's a tragedy.

Seriously, how can we question the morality when we can change a statistic of millions dying into a tragedy like thousands dying? If arguing that way, macro morality vs micro morality isn't even worth discussion if statistically, vehicle related deaths drop even by a single person, no? (Though obviously we would assume that the decrease would be substantially more)

Also, what if a decision was statistical? Is it still moral? Car's programming determines that continuing on same path would statistically cause monetary issues which is inefficient. Side swiping or rear ending some stationary object is perhaps less expensive than taking out a human. Car decides, takes an alternate path around an obstruction of sorts/tells the vehicles behind of said obstruction. Car can't avoid it, human becomes a statistic. The car just follows the rules.

That being said, a vehicle is much more capable of making decisions faster than a human. I would assume a kid running out on the road (who was supposed to watch that kid by the way?) would be far easily avoided via self driving car vs panic Joe Schmoe who tunnel vision stares at the kid while skidding at the kid for several seconds. Wouldn't all cars capable of making an attempt to avoid said kid vs the numbers of individuals who just freeze up be enough alone a reason to consider it? Reaction time alone would be more than enough to increase the chances of driving around said kid, and that's not going into the argument that a self driving car would arguably drive better than the average human. Imagine also that possibly street lights will also have sensors that track moving objects so that such accidents will not occur?

The future may have a completely different landscape. We may not need street lights or traffic lights. Just drones, and points that relay information. Cars would probably have sensors that could "see" in complete darkness.

I understand the concern as many would want to know they have a possibility of control, regardless of how flawed that freedom to decide may actually be. Fully automated cars mean humans aren't in control of potentially saving a life. If an error occurs, we want punishment/justice which we can't do to a program/car.

Last edited by DoubleF; 01-18-2016 at 03:51 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:09 PM   #63
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think at some point governments are going to have to come up with ways to handle these situations, and it will be up to the manufacturer to implement them. And if the manufacturer fails, they will be liable. People are going to get injured and die, there is just no way around that. If the manufacturers are liable for the decision process, I'm not sure they will be keen to continue after they are subject to lawsuits. So I think government will have to build the framework.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote