Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2012, 12:25 AM   #1
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Shaw Internet is driving me crazy

I tried to search for a thread because I know one exists, but the system won't work for me to search. Anyway, my internet has crashed 4 nights in a row now (between 12am and 2am, right when I play xbox). And will stay crashed for about 30 minutes with me resetting the router, unplugging the modem over and over, etc. until it works.

I want to call Shaw and complain because this is getting ridiculous, every night.

My question is, has anyone else had problems?

Also, how should I complain to get the most back? I will ask for a new modem to start, but Shaw is pissing me off.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:28 AM   #2
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It hasn't been down for me lately - but I am a little familiar with the kind of cycle you describe. Like Shaw's router/gateway is re-setting itself periodically, or re-obtaining an IP, etc. It happens occasionally with no rhyme or reason seemingly.

Complaining on the phone likely won't get you much. They might send a tech who will check your outlet and signal strength. Otherwise, your're probably SOL. Sucks man.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:59 AM   #3
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

There was a guy here named ShawSean I beleive. Worked for Shaw and helped a bunch of people. Including me.
Haven't heard from him in a while though.
Sent from my GT-S5830D
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

If you're on Twitter, try reaching out to @shawhelps. I've had the most luck with that.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #5
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
I tried to search for a thread because I know one exists, but the system won't work for me to search. Anyway, my internet has crashed 4 nights in a row now (between 12am and 2am, right when I play xbox). And will stay crashed for about 30 minutes with me resetting the router, unplugging the modem over and over, etc. until it works.

I want to call Shaw and complain because this is getting ridiculous, every night.

My question is, has anyone else had problems?

Also, how should I complain to get the most back? I will ask for a new modem to start, but Shaw is pissing me off.
Instead of putting up with it for weeks and getting angry and frustrated, why not just call them as soon as it happens. Their service calls are free anyway. Do you call your car a piece of junk before you've taken it to the mechanic?
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #6
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

I have had a similar issue, except it appears when I wake up in the morning. I have to unplug/plug the router and modem to get things going again, sometimes multiple time. I must do this before going to work otherwise I risk my wife messing with everything.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:49 PM   #7
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Make that 4 nights in a row.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:56 PM   #8
SeeBass
First Line Centre

Exp:

I used Shaw for most of a decade but the elementary school on my block did too.

From the second the school day started till it ended it was soooo slow. Got to the point I couldn't work from home anymore.
SeeBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:54 AM   #9
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBass View Post
I used Shaw for most of a decade but the elementary school on my block did too.

From the second the school day started till it ended it was soooo slow. Got to the point I couldn't work from home anymore.
I have the opposite problem. My internet is fine until school is out and than it drops down to a tenth of what it should be. Streaming any video is frustrating as hell which makes watching the Heat a frustrating experience. Did I say frustrating? It's been like this for over a year and when I phone Shaw their answer is it sucks to be you. The thing is where I live Telus is even worse.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #10
Sinny Darino
Farm Team Player

Exp:

When I was living in Red Deer my Shaw Cable would drop off quite often. I had countless techs out to my house to check strength, wires, run new lines (ect) None of this had fixed the problem until one of the shaw guys went into a wall and saw that a mouse or something had eaten though the wire and the warm/cold cycle caused it to turn on and off.

Needless to say that this was not a Shaw Cable problem, but they fixed it, and credited me like 6 months worth of interwebz.

And yes, I am still with Shaw and will always be with Shaw!!!
Sinny Darino is offline   Reply With Quote