Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #681
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I like the idea of the iPad Mini but the next gen is definitely going to have a retina screen so I would wait for that.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #682
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Personally the only role I see an iPad mini playing in my life is as a dedicated screen for the car. Our second kid is too young right now to really require one for long road trips, and by the time he is I imagine I could either get a retina mini or buy an older, used iPad.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:19 PM   #683
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll just leave these links here and bow out for the subsequent (anti) "fan" discussion.

Mini:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/30/3...ad-mini-review

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...ad-mini-review

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/30/a...d-mini-review/

http://reviews.cnet.com/ipad-mini/

4th Gen:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/30/3...4th-generation

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/30/apple-ipad-review/

(Seriously though, let me know if some of these are "biased" - I don't have a good feel for which sites tend to lean one way or another. Still learning about that.)

EDIT: Forgot to add the 4th one.

Last edited by chemgear; 10-30-2012 at 10:29 PM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #684
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Good review of the iPad Mini.

They seem to pick up on one of my concerns with it, it's small but still not small enough to be a tablet used in one hand. And of course, that horrible price.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #685
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

iPad mini vs Nexus 7 "Drop test" from Android Authority

I doubt people will be treating their tablets in this fashion - but the cracked screens and plastic pieces flying off from such abuse makes me cringe.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #686
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Received my mini....will be testing it vs the same apps on my nexus 7...should be fun!

Mini feels great in the hands and is really nice to hold. Liking it so far even without retina
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:11 PM   #687
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Wow. Ordered the new iPad, on last friday. Got a text that it was shipped yesterday from China and here it is. Didn't expect that. Has been sitting here for the past 4 hours thinking it was the extra lightning cable I ordered and that was shipped earlier.

Apple always does this and I am a cheap whore. Everything I have ever ordered comes 6 days sooner than they say it will
Do you happen have the "original" retina new iPad on hand as well? Just wondering how the high end stuff compares with the new processor - like say Infinity Blade 2 or Galaxy on Fire HD if you have it.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #688
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
iPad mini vs Nexus 7 "Drop test" from Android Authority

I doubt people will be treating their tablets in this fashion - but the cracked screens and plastic pieces flying off from such abuse makes me cringe.
Least scientific test ever. But at least they went to Hong Kong! (?)

Probably a good time to mention that if you get AppleCare, they'll fix accidental damage now. You can use it two times, for a $50 stupid tax (each time). They'll fix/replace your device, even if you do exactly what the guy in the video did.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #689
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I wonder if Applecare will cover this:

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:12 AM   #690
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

This question has probably been asked a lot, but is it possible to watch flash videos on the ipad 3 or ipad mini yet? We might be able to snag an iPad Mini next week so I'm curious if that's still an issue with Apple devices, I had to jailbreak my iPod Touch for a flash player
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #691
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
This question has probably been asked a lot, but is it possible to watch flash videos on the ipad 3 or ipad mini yet? We might be able to snag an iPad Mini next week so I'm curious if that's still an issue with Apple devices, I had to jailbreak my iPod Touch for a flash player
No and never is the most direct answer.

Adobe stopped developing flash for mobile about a year ago. So you will never see it come to Apple products, and Android will be phased out.

Flash is not and never been a good choice on mobile. Jobs was accused of pushing his agenda on Adobe, but in the end he was right. Flash on Android and Blackberry Playbook was buggy and awful experience at best. Plus it is poorly written and a battery hog.

HTML5/Javascript is the future, Flash was the past, a great bridge until now.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #692
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well no wonder the ipad mini costs so much. The cost to make one is a whopping $188!

Also apple sold 3 million ipads since Friday, which is a crazy number, but they have to sell another 20 million this quarter to meet estimates! hehehe APPL at $584 right now.

http://www.firstpost.com/tech/apples...ld-515277.html
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #693
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Apple aiming for markup over giving consumers a break financially is the most expected news there could be. They didn't get to where they are by having a sale.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #694
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's just mind bottling the cost of that thing. The cost is almost the same as the retail of the android versions.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #695
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post
The cost is almost the same as the retail of the android versions.
And that would be why most companies making tablets aren't making very much or losing money outright. Which is fine if you're trying to capture market share or hope to get the consumer to spend money on content afterwards. Either way, it is pretty the market is certainly willing to pay.

Didn't this whole discussion come up with the share of profits across the smartphone market earlier?
Old 11-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #696
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post
It's just mind bottling the cost of that thing. The cost is almost the same as the retail of the android versions.
That's because the other ones don't really make money as standalone hardware sales. The 16GB Nexus 7 is estimated to cost $167 to build while the Kindle Fire costs $165 to manufacture.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #697
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
That's because the other ones don't really make money as standalone hardware sales. The 16GB Nexus 7 is estimated to cost $167 to build while the Kindle Fire costs $165 to manufacture.
Which is why i won't buy google or amazon stock either. Thinking about shorting AMZN actually.