Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #21
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

that is fine, but the real question that needs to be answered is has he been welcomed to the wiserhood?
Old 07-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #22
Byrns
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Byrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #23
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honestly the fact that in 2012 celebrities coming out is greeted with a resounding "so what?" is a good thing.

To me it puts us further from "tolerance" and closer to "acceptance", hopefully someday we'll reach the point where gay people won't even need to come out. They'll show up with whomever they like, introduce them as their husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend/partner and no body will bat an eyelash.

No, we're not there yet, but we're getting closer.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #24
JerzeeGirl
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think it's news & important only in so far as what he says in his own statement:
Quote:
"that … the tide of history only advances when people make themselves fully visible. There continue to be far too many incidences of bullying of young people, as well as discrimination and violence against people of all ages, based on their sexual orientation, and I believe there is value in making clear where I stand."
This is very much like the Rick Mercer rant following the suicide of a teen who had killed himself as a result of being bullied for being gay. I can't link to it now (work firewall sucks) but in it he says:
Quote:
"It's no longer good enough for us to tell kids who are different that it's going to get better, we have to make it better now. That's every single one of us, every teacher, every student, every adult has to step up to the plate and that's gay adults too. Because I know gay cops, soldiers, athletes, cabinet ministers - a lot of us do - but the problem is that adults, we don't need role models. Kids do. So if you're gay and you're in public life, I'm sorry you don't have to run around with a pride flag and bore the hell out of everyone but you can't be invisible. Not anymore."
So good for Anderson Cooper for choosing to make himself a role model and stepping into the limelight. I think we all look forward to the day when this doesn't matter but in the meantime, it's good to have more role models for young kids dealing with bullying today for being different.
JerzeeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JerzeeGirl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #25
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's the video that JerzeeGirl was referring to:

What makes Anderson Cooper coming out interesting for me is that it puts into perspective this interview:
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2012, 11:41 PM   #26
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post

What makes Anderson Cooper coming out interesting for me is that it puts into perspective this interview:
Jeez . . . She sounds stupid, doesn't have a clue what she's talking about, and after listening to that, I cant even look at her without thinking she looks stupid, too.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2012, 11:53 PM   #27
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Jeez . . . She sounds stupid, doesn't have a clue what she's talking about, and after listening to that, I cant even look at her without thinking she looks stupid, too.

That's not what she's talking about. "You're just takin' it outta context." She's a woman of God.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:14 AM   #28
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrns View Post
Is that the annoying Kathy chick with the Loubardias voice?

She would turn anyone gay!
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:24 PM   #29
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Here's the video that JerzeeGirl was referring to:

I love this video, he makes her look like such a fool and so easily too. He puts on a show like he is genuinely trying to figure out what the hell she even believes but she doesn't even understand what she believes.

It is proving the logic behind anti-gay so faulty and she gets frustrated. Awesome.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote