Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:
Default Spoilers!

As I just learned in the Mad Men thread, it's hard sometimes to avoid spoilers before you watch a show or movie. It was much easier 10+ years ago when you would be more likely to watch a movie in theaters and PVRs weren't invented yet. Today, I rarely watch movies in theaters as I enjoy a nice HD setup at home. And with PVRs and DVD seasons, I'm mostly watching completed series instead of watching them slowly every week.

I can't be the only one who does this. Anyone else here have to be extra careful when viewing threads or talking to others? Do you have your hand on the stop button when listening to Kevin Smith podcasts? Any spoiler horror stories?

RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

-Darth Vader is Luke's father
-Snape is the half blood prince and he kills Dumbledore
-Bruce Willis is dead the whole time
-Rosebud is his childhood sled
-He was on earth the whole time
-The titanic sinks and Jack dies
-Soylent green is made of people
Old 06-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #3
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's pretty simple for me. Just don't open threads for TV shows that I'm not completely caught up on.

I just saw the Mad Men thread and saw that someone spoiled a minor plot point in Breaking Bad in that thread. That sucks. Not for me, because I'm caught up on both... but for someone I'm sure.

I'd hate to open the Breaking Bad thread and have Game of Thrones spoiled for me.

Last edited by malcolmk14; 06-14-2012 at 11:04 AM.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is all my fault
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Spoilers are probably my biggest gear grinder. What I don't get is the lack of enjoyment felt by people who spoil things... it's always just something done in passing. If there was something minor that meant nothing to you that could put somebody in a bad mood, why the F would you do it?

I'm a big over-analyzer when it comes to spoilers. Even if somebody says something very basic I often roll it around in my mind until I've concocted some crazy string of events and come to my own conclusions. This wouldn't be a problem if I wasn't correct all the time. Of course I'm wrong about almost everything else on earth, but figuring out plot spoilers is like a super power.

Somebody ruined a rather large plot point on the latest season of The Walking Dead and it bugged me for weeks. I don't rattle that easily, but I get unreasonable with things like that.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
This is all my fault
It's probably Cecil's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Somebody ruined a rather large plot point on the latest season of The Walking Dead and it bugged me for weeks. I don't rattle that easily, but I get unreasonable with things like that.
Yeah, it's annoying. The user GreenLantern PM'd me a Game of Thrones spoiler because he was mad at me for making fun of the character Green Lantern in another thread about a week prior. Talk about being an obsessive little nerd.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

To me 24-48 hours after something airs should be a "spoiler free" time, don't post it to twitter/facebook etc, but after that period is fair game.

If some one's been watching a show for 3-4 months and the season finally is coming up you can't reasonably expect them not to discuss how the plot twist of Don Draper murdering Walter White will be handled at Calculon's Wedding.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #9
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I don't look like Johnny Cash.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #10
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
To me 24-48 hours after something airs should be a "spoiler free" time, don't post it to twitter/facebook etc, but after that period is fair game.

If some one's been watching a show for 3-4 months and the season finally is coming up you can't reasonably expect them not to discuss how the plot twist of Don Draper murdering Walter White will be handled at Calculon's Wedding.
Nah, maybe in the days of Who shot JR that's fine, but nowadays, with PVR's and onDemand viewing 2 days is silly.

The way ResAlien put The Wire Spoilers in the Funny picture thread and Bertuzzied Game of Thrones spoilers in a hockey thread was just stupid.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #11
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Nah, maybe in the days of Who shot JR that's fine, but nowadays, with PVR's and onDemand viewing 2 days is silly.

The way ResAlien put The Wire Spoilers in the Funny picture thread and Bertuzzied Game of Thrones spoilers in a hockey thread was just stupid.
Eh maybe, much like RW99 posted I'm typically months behind (I'm on episode 5 of the season of Mad Men that just wrapped up) so I figure I've got no one to blame but myself if I come across spoilers when I'm that far behind.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #12
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Cecil reporting in!

Up until very recently I would have said I'm very good about being careful about spoilers. In fact, I'd say I still feel that way. Obviously a great deal of people feel differently.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #13
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The user GreenLantern PM'd me a Game of Thrones spoiler because he was mad at me for making fun of the character Green Lantern in another thread about a week prior. Talk about being an obsessive little nerd.
On behalf of skinny jean wearing, Rural Alberta Advantage listening, music festival attending pseudo intellectuals, I apologize for him. He may think he's one of us, but we don't like him either.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #14
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:

I think that's an important distinction to make. If there is a thread about a show, and that show has aired in Calgary, then I think spoilers are fair game. Otherwise what ends up happening is everybody discusses it using spoiler tages. Annoying, however next we have a guy who knows what happens next week, uses spoiler tags, and then people who are up to date get spoiled.

However I do agree that a fair amount of time needs to pass before spoilers can be posted in cross threads.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #15
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think we have to keep in mind that there are different levels of spoilers. The comment that prompted this thread is likely a pretty minor spoiler. If we can't talk about some minor details on a show, months after the episode airs, then maybe all movie and tv talk should be off limits.

But major spoilers (e.g. Character deaths), I agree they should be avoided, even months later.

The absolute worst are spoilers that happen before a show airs. Anyone posting them, even with a spoilers tag that tempts my curiosity,should be instabanned.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ironic thread clicking , it was earth all along , it was the one armed man , luke i am your father