Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2008, 11:10 PM   #1
Drunk Skunk
Obscure Jersey Wiz

Exp:
Default Great article about the Flames poor play on home ice

"There is no question that the Quad City Flames organization has plenty of work to do to get fans back into the stands at the i wireless Center. That said, it wouldn’t hurt if the guys who are lacing up the skates started to pull their weight a little bit."

Not trying to step on your toes Hoodie, but I read that and felt the need to post it tonight.

Minor league attitude, major league pain
Drunk Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

who is the idiot with the lighting comment?

These guys are pros and just cant get up to play at home.
Maybe thats why they have moved so much because they wont win at home and the majority of the hockey world wont come watch a team that only wins on the road.

As for me I wasnt to comfortable with the 1 goal lead heading into the 3rd and when the puck dropped they decided that they only wanted to play not to lose and they lost the game.

Some of this has to go towards McGill hes not doing something right to get these guys ready to play at home.

Seemed like when McGill lost a gasket they played really well i remember 2 6 goal games in a row.
PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:36 AM   #3
SparkyOne
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If McGill does the same thing before every game, home or away, why on earth should he have to do something "different" to get his team to play well in front of 4,000+ fans who rarely stop cheering for them??

As the guys boarded the bus in Rockford on Friday night, I commented to many of them that they needed to play like they did in the Friday win when they hit home ice on Saturday. They agreed....and if the players and team vets and leaders can't motivate the team to play well when they're playing for their playoff lives in one of the nicer facilities in the league, what makes you think McGill can say something that can turn things around??!! They're pros, and they're playing to make it to the ultimate goal. What more do they need?

I brought 11 new people to that game....and they left pretty disheartened. The Flames win on the road in front of smaller crowds than we had in the house on Saturday night....and that was a loud crew on Saturday! I agree with the article....it's about time the team begin to pull their weight...and it's about time that Sutter and crew in Calgary realize that it's pretty hard to push a rock up a hill when half of those who are supposed to be pushing aren't really doing their part.

That said, I was on the ice before both the second and third periods. After the second period, I commented that the ice was pretty crappy. There was a spot down by the ice box that looked like it was flooded and they were using a squeegee to get rid of the water. Walking extensively on the ice during the second intermission, it was obvious that something was wrong. I've been on that ice during that intermission at almost every home game this season. It has never been that bad....then I saw on the game summary, "GAME NOTES: Start of Third Period delayed because ice was too wet."

This is a brand new system. What the heck is going on??! That certainly had to take away some of the home ice advantage! (Could it be that they've started stupid football practices at the iMark last week??!)
SparkyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:40 AM   #4
SparkyOne
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Oh, yeah. Two more things. I love Stevenson, but maybe his streaky play is one of the reasons he's still in the Quad Cities.

Also, I see that Palin is starting to skate. I said last week that we miss him....hope he's back soon!!
SparkyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:02 AM   #5
Hoody
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Skunk View Post
Not trying to step on your toes Hoodie, but I read that and felt the need to post it tonight.
No problem. I'm having computer problems at home, and can't get online. During the week, I'm good. Thanks, DS.

Steve

-Ben Stein
Hoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:48 AM   #6
QCPuckFan
Draft Pick

Gotta agree with Sparky. I can't really hang the home performance on McGill. It's the players that are choking with the lead on home ice.
It's frustrating when they can beat quality opponents like Rockford and Chicago in their buildings, yet they'll lose a third-period lead and the game to a mediocre opponent like Lake Erie.

Every home game, you can just feel the crowd aching for a reason to cheer. I keep going back to that last trouncing of Peoria at home. It was a good, large crowd that cheered like hell, and it was a fun night. They have a real opportunity to create a buzz in the area and grab more of those crowds if they can make these road winning streaks carry over to home ice.
QCPuckFan is offline   Reply With Quote